2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Leaking shocks

10-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
HiltonF10
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 N55

Leaking shocks

BMW 535 non X drive.

After lowering my car I found a considerable amount of oil on my drive way. After closer inspection I realized that both rear shock had leaked. Now that it has been some time, I can really feel the effects of the low oil in the shock, and I need to take action to repair it quickly. I used H&R to lower it in case that makes a difference.

My question is!!!! can I get shocks to handle the drop? Is it possible to rebuild the shock to accommodate the drop. What brand of shock would you use if you had to replace them ? Will the after market shocks be able to work with the stock spring if I decide to raise it for resale?

Any help would be much appreciated

Last edited by HiltonF10; 10-27-2014 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 10:00 PM   #2
sirhawes
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 328i Imperial Blue

Heard the same problem on the f30, a lot of people are doing bilstein shocks with H&R springs. (But they're for people who like a firm as hell ride) The stock shocks are made for stock ride height and no lower.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
Mr Clean
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

At least you don't have an Xdrive! Consider looking into coilovers as they come with springs, shocks and locking collars all in one assembly (and since they don't make them for xdrive you're in luck).

Or

You can get the original shocks replaced under warranty. Just put the stock springs back on and bring it to the dealer. As long as the bolts and nuts removed weren't marred too badly during the lowering springs installation process, you shouldn't have an issue. After getting the shocks replaced you could just go with ACS or Eibach, both of which offer a much more conservative drop than H&Rs, and pair well with stock shocks as a result.

IMO, going the coilover route will probably be best, but look into that further, as I believe you lose EDC functions.