2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 520D struggling to start

05-03-2023, 02:13 PM   #1
banjosas
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 520D SE

520D struggling to start

Hi guys - new to the forum (let me know if there's a better place to post this).

Had this car since mid-2021 & this problem has been fairly common since buying it - I have very little car knowledge so please excuse my amateur nature/naivety when it comes to explaining this issue. For reference, the car has done just under 150,000 miles. Essentially this video of the issue will be able to explain better than I can however, almost every time I start the car it seems to have this long & disconcerting startup sound.

I was advised by my mechanic that this was the flywheel being worn & the starter motor couldn't grip/work properly - with the car's age & not knowing too much, I opted to get a new clutch & flywheel fitted in February this year - this didn't eradicate the problem. Moving forward, the car has sounded like it's struggling even more in recent weeks when starting it up. Today, I've had the car not start on me 3 separate times within 2 hours of each other & an Ignition Fault message comes up on the display each time which has then disappeared after retrying & starting the car up.

Unfortunately this evening I've been unable to replicate the noise that's made when the car doesn't start at all however if I can get it recorded - I'll post a link to that video too. From the video & my description, can anyone shed any light on what this might be - understandably (I hope) I've lost some trust in my mechanic given that I've handed over a fair amount for a new clutch & flywheel thinking this would resolve the issue alas, it hasn't.

Any help with this would be massively appreciated - thanks in advance.

Last edited by banjosas; 05-03-2023 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Post incomplete
Appreciate 0