2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Drivers Display & Multi-Functional Instrument Panel

04-06-2014, 03:00 AM   #1
chi
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Looking for 5 series M Sport

Drivers Display & Multi-Functional Instrument Panel

Hi Guys,

Any of you Chinese/foreign owners of 2014 UK 5 series cars can answer the question of whether the standard Drivers display or the multi-functional instrument panel can display chinese or foreign-double-byte characters?

Thanks,
Chi,
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 07:29 AM   #2
ob2ob2
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G32 630d GT xDrive Msports

Mine is NBT (MY 2913), professional Sat Nav, no hand writing pad.

The Chinese text appears in the iPhone Contacts, can be displayed correctly in the iDrive. I don't use Androids, don't know if that works.

In Connected Drive, I have tried the news subscriptions with RSS, that can display the Chinese text correctly. However, the BMW UK uses Vodafone network, the slowest UK mobile network I have ever encountered, makes using any advanced function a bit waste of time. I wish I can dig out that vodafone SIM card and replace it with something else.

The voice commands in Chinese wouldn't work, I assume the hand writing in Chinese wouldn't work either - for the European version. Maybe the Mainland China version will work, as seen on some BMW demo videos.

The Chinese text appears in the music library of iPhone or iPod cannot be displayed correctly. That might have something to do with how iTune saves the information. Also the previous versions of iTune converts the song title incorrectly (converts BIG5 to Unicode), this might have something to do when I changed from WinXP to Mac.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
chi
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi ob2ob2,

I test drove a MY2014 LCI 5 series over the weekend. In their Professional Media package, the centre prof media (iDrive) display was able to display Chinese song names. (it's updated iDrive was touch). However, on the standard Drivers Display, it only showed "????" for chinese characters. I was using an android smartphone.

I just wondered whether the standard Drivers display can show chinese in UK models, or can that only be achieved with the multi-functional instrument panel?

Thanks for your experience/information.

Chi,.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #4
ob2ob2
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G32 630d GT xDrive Msports

There is no time for you to worry about if the driver's display show the song title correctly or not. When you press the right wheel on the steering, if you don't scroll for a few seconds, all will disappear and be back to normal. So does it show the song title correctly or not, it's not critical. I would rather put my eyes on the road, not spending time on that.

If the MY2014 can display the text correctly, that is great. Use the big screen, much easier to read.

The multifunction display is all very good on the graphic, but in real life, I found the original dials have better contrast. Maybe head up display is a better option, if you are looking for the digital speedo.

Don't forget the Harman Kardon, the standard professional sat nav speakers are not as good as I wished.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #5
chi
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks ob2ob2,

HK speakers system is a must for me too ... don't worry about that.
I'm intrigued you find the contrast on the original dials better though ...

Chi,
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 06:33 AM   #6
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

MFD is much clearer than standard dials Chi, disagree with ob2ob2 I am afraid, having had both.

You need to physically try both I guess
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
chi
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Piers,

ordered MFD ...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
chi
United Kingdom
Rep

Piers,

incidentally, also ordered Space grey ...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi View Post
Piers,

incidentally, also ordered Space grey ...
You know it makes sense, you don't see many MSport's in Space Grey
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #10
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

MFD takes the aesthetics and functionality of the dash to another level when compared to the standard dash.
I like the way that the main figure (10,20,30,40...) gets bigger the closer the dial gets to it.
Makes the car look like something from the future.
You will not regret ordering it.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 02:42 AM   #11
NigeNige
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530D M Sport E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
MFD takes the aesthetics and functionality of the dash to another level when compared to the standard dash.
I like the way that the main figure (10,20,30,40...) gets bigger the closer the dial gets to it.
Makes the car look like something from the future.
You will not regret ordering it.
Does anyone know what the little white blob is on the arc below the speedo on the MFD (see picture below)

When switched to ECO Pro mode the arc shows miles remaing with a sub section for the miles gained in ECO PrO. However the white blob is also there. I have tred to but can't find it.

Nigel
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 03:18 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigeNige View Post
Does anyone know what the little white blob is on the arc below the speedo on the MFD (see picture below)

Nigel
If you are using satnav it is the indicated range you'll use for your trip. Same on the Black Panel display. In other words you get an indication if you will complete the trip on the range you have and how much fuel to spare at the current mpg.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 07:51 AM   #13
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

^ Well you learn a new thing every day!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #14
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers View Post
Indeed we do

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers View Post
I posted in a hurry this morning, as I was about to go out.

Yes it is an interesting added feature. It sets the 'blob' at the trip distance, as you start the satnav guidance and satnav calculates mileage/distance, then moves back towards zero as you make the trip. So is working independent of the fuel range (red bar) scale.

I remember leaving Preston to come home, tank was full and with 370 miles to go, the blob was out in space, as it were, beyond the indicated range. (Mpg average was low in heavy urban driving). So it appeared I'd not get home on the tank of fuel. As we got on the motorway the mpg improved, as we covered the miles the blob moved into the range zone. Once I could see a buffer of over 50 miles, knew we could get home without refuelling.

Obviously you can get the information from the on-board computer display, but useful to see a quick visual in the range display. It being "live" while driving.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 02:22 AM   #16
NigeNige
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530D M Sport E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I posted in a hurry this morning, as I was about to go out.

Yes it is an interesting added feature. It sets the 'blob' at the trip distance, as you start the satnav guidance and satnav calculates mileage/distance, then moves back towards zero as you make the trip. So is working independent of the fuel range (red bar) scale.

I remember leaving Preston to come home, tank was full and with 370 miles to go, the blob was out in space, as it were, beyond the indicated range. (Mpg average was low in heavy urban driving). So it appeared I'd not get home on the tank of fuel. As we got on the motorway the mpg improved, as we covered the miles the blob moved into the range zone. Once I could see a buffer of over 50 miles, knew we could get home without refuelling.

Obviously you can get the information from the on-board computer display, but useful to see a quick visual in the range display. It being "live" while driving.

HighlandPete
Thanks for the info. This is a great feature Are there any other hidden gems?

Nigel
Appreciate 0