2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Carbon Fiber Intake Development F10 550i
View Poll Results: Gauging interest at $1500 for a set of intakes
Yes i would purchase provided they make power 6 37.50%
No i would not purchase regardless of power 7 43.75%
I would purchase if they were cheaper (please comment on how much) 3 18.75%
I already have a set of intakes 1 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

06-02-2016, 08:54 PM   #23
gclions
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Question about the above discussion. The inlet to the Garrett N63 turbos is a tick under 2" going off memory. Outside of a ridiculously poor design, every intake regardless of shape or size will need to pull air through that bottleneck. So, you keep mentioning a straw as a reference, but that doesn't seem entirely accurate.

It would appear your flow bench work has been using intake versus intake, but what appears to be missing is intake through turbo inlet versus intake through turbo inlet. I'd be curious about those results as a "real world" comparison.

I've tried unsuccessfully to build intakes for the N63, on several occasions, and I applaud your efforts. I have provided whatever data I had to help other efforts, and it's been good for the community as we have one really solid option available. The more, the better. Your resources alone are pretty impressive, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 09:05 PM   #24
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclions View Post
Question about the above discussion. The inlet to the Garrett N63 turbos is a tick under 2" going off memory. Outside of a ridiculously poor design, every intake regardless of shape or size will need to pull air through that bottleneck. So, you keep mentioning a straw as a reference, but that doesn't seem entirely accurate.

It would appear your flow bench work has been using intake versus intake, but what appears to be missing is intake through turbo inlet versus intake through turbo inlet. I'd be curious about those results as a "real world" comparison.

I've tried unsuccessfully to build intakes for the N63, on several occasions, and I applaud your efforts. I have provided whatever data I had to help other efforts, and it's been good for the community as we have one really solid option available. The more, the better. Your resources alone are pretty impressive, good luck.
Yes the inlet to the turbo is a tick under 2", but by the time flow reaches that point, it has high velocity, or momentum(air is a fluid). That was one of my assumptions, isolating just the intake portion. You're confined with that compressor size because thats where compressible flow comes in, compressor maps, the game just changed again. A properly designed intake will be very large prior to the turbo, then taper down(nozzle). This tapering will actually increase the flow velocity if done right, in aerospace we call it a nozzle. You are transitioning from boundary layer being the name of the game, to flow velocity/density, wanting to get Mdot(mass flow) to the turbo as quickly and efficiently as possible(reducing boost lag). Both go hand in hand, but there are times where one is more important than the other. That's getting into another realm in itself.

I hope that helps!

I'll have a rapid prototype set done within the next week or two, stay tuned!

Edit: i searched your threads and quickly saw pics of your setup, part of the problem you're experiencing is that your MAF calibration is going to be completely off. Unless the section where the maf resides is orientated exactly the same, you are taking shots in the dark. The car will think it has different flow than what's really being introduced. That's why my M5 intakes have small sections before and after the maf to stabalize the flow and mimic the stock maf settings.

Last edited by Sales@RKautowerks; 06-02-2016 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 09:07 PM   #25
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

[QUOTE=Apple Corps]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadysev View Post
Whats the point of flow if there is no increase in power?

A lot of people fail to understand...

Not sure why you quoted my post. The intent was to correct an error in a previous post. Not arguing a point of view how much increase in flow translates to how much increase in power, with this proposed product or any other.
My bad
      06-04-2016, 11:41 AM   #26
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Please don't get me wrong NOT trying to rain on your parade

When someone on this earth can make Cold Air Intake that can produce power form 50-100hp
I will be willing to spend $1000.00 on it until then its not worth money.
I doubt that day will ever come.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #27
Sales@RKautowerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Here are the final F10 M5 intakes.

Thanks
-R
Appreciate 0