2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Google Maps Send to Car, stops working?

02-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
ob2ob2
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G32 630d GT xDrive Msports

Google Maps Send to Car, stops working?

I have always been using Google Maps, Send to Car function, to send a very precise spot of the road to my BMW. Recently when I tried to do the same thing again, I got an error message from the Google Maps:

"Sorry, we are unable to send this message at this time. Please visit the help page."

Has anyone got similar experience recently? Or only me?

I can still use the "my BMW" app in the Apple iOS device to send the address of a Google map to the car, but that can only work with a business address. If I want to send a very specific spot of the road (for example, the entrance of a car park, a junction of two streets...etc) then the my BMW can't do it. Just wondering if this is a system fault?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 03:02 AM   #2
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Sounds like it's something wrong with Google but I have read that Google are going to start charging for this service so it may be linked with changes for that....

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Gordon4499
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2016 535D M Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob2ob2 View Post
I have always been using Google Maps, Send to Car function, to send a very precise spot of the road to my BMW. Recently when I tried to do the same thing again, I got an error message from the Google Maps:

"Sorry, we are unable to send this message at this time. Please visit the help page."

Has anyone got similar experience recently? Or only me?

I can still use the "my BMW" app in the Apple iOS device to send the address of a Google map to the car, but that can only work with a business address. If I want to send a very specific spot of the road (for example, the entrance of a car park, a junction of two streets...etc) then the my BMW can't do it. Just wondering if this is a system fault?
Yes same here, I have emailed BMW and await a response. In the meantime you can do the same thing via the BMW Connect Drive website - It still works.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 330 ci SE, F11 530d SE

I had the same issue. I went round it by using the maps at my android phone, then choosing the 'share' function and choosing the 'my bmw' app. The 'send to car' app does not woprk anymore, I think.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 01:35 AM   #5
immx
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 520D SE Touring

My send to car app (iOS) has stopped working too
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 02:36 AM   #6
c-hri-s
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 535d M Sport

It doesn't work for me either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
Sounds like it's something wrong with Google but I have read that Google are going to start charging for this service so it may be linked with changes for that....
Where did you hear that? I'd be absolutely blown away if they did ... Google charges consumers for very little, it's not their business model.
2012 F10 535d M Sport, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Piano Black Trim, 19" 351M, Sport Automatic Transmission, Reversing Assist Camera, Powered Boot Lid, Soft Close Doors, Folding/dimming mirrors, Elec. fr seats, Surround View, Heads-up display, BMW Business Speakers, M rear spoiler, Sun protection glass, Visibility pack, Media Package Pro
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 05:44 AM   #7
billythetidd
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M-Sport

I just use the App "My BMW" and everything works fine. Use the integrated google maps. Press and hold at any point on the map and send it to the car works fine. Works fine with postcodes, town center etc
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #8
Gordon4499
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2016 535D M Sport Touring

Got a quick response from those nice BMW folks:

I am sorry to learn that you are experiencing issues with regard to sending destinations to your vehicle, I can confirm that BMW in Germany have advised that there is an issue with the Google Send to Car functionality at the moment. It is related to a new mapping system Google are introducing and they have not yet set up the Send to Car function. However, in the meantime, there is an alternative, using the My Info section on the BMW ConnectedDrive portal:

· Click ‘my services’ (ensure that the vehicle is ticked).
· Enter the postcode as you would in Google Maps.
· Scroll to the bottom and click ‘send’.

We are hoping that Google will resolve this matter as quickly as possible. Regrettably, this website is something that BMW UK do not have any influence or control over and we do not have any timescales at present. It is also affecting other vehicle manufacturers who use this service.

I trust that this information addresses your enquiry, however, should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me again.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 03:33 AM   #9
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-hri-s View Post
It doesn't work for me either.

Where did you hear that? I'd be absolutely blown away if they did ... Google charges consumers for very little, it's not their business model.
Check this thread out... http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=942637

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
c-hri-s
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 535d M Sport

Hmm, thanks.

I'll remain sceptical until I see something from Google that says that.
2012 F10 535d M Sport, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Piano Black Trim, 19" 351M, Sport Automatic Transmission, Reversing Assist Camera, Powered Boot Lid, Soft Close Doors, Folding/dimming mirrors, Elec. fr seats, Surround View, Heads-up display, BMW Business Speakers, M rear spoiler, Sun protection glass, Visibility pack, Media Package Pro
Appreciate 0