2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Very expensive BMW !!!

12-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #45
EmArAsOnS
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: LCI F11 MSport Xdrive (I.Blue)

Garage List
[QUOTE=remmib]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmArAsOnS View Post

No, I don't think it's expensive in Sweden. You don't have any car tax except the 25% vat tax (moms).

I see that a F11 520xd is 431900 sek, but in Norway it's 615900 nok, and I see that options are a bit more her too.
So mine was a bargain good to Know.
      12-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #46
gorban
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 520xdAT, E87 120dM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
No, I don't think it's expensive in Sweden. You don't have any car tax except the 25% vat tax (moms).

I see that a F11 520xd is 431900 sek, but in Norway it's 615900 nok, and I see that options are a bit more her too.
The reason for cars to be a little less expensive in Sweden compared to Norway and Denmark is that we have domestic car development and production and the government don't want to see that go.
      12-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #47
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

All I can say is... My God. If car prices looked anything like this in the US because of something artificial the government was doing, there would be a revolt. These prices are beyond criminal. It's one thing to "discourage" certain behavior with a tax - it's another thing altogether to double or triple the price of a car.

Even making $150k (considered an upper middle class income here in the US), spending $150k+ for a daily driver wouldn't be the best financial decision. I'm not even sure the banks would approve the loan, honestly, unless you had next to no housing expenses (mortgage, etc) on only $150k income.

In the US in most states, let's say a $150k income may net around 60% take-home - or $90k. A 5 year loan on a $150k car (even with no interest) would be $2,500/mo. With $90k take-home (or $7,500/mo) you're talking about 33% of your income going to a car payment! That's before you even insure it, put gas in it, and maintain it. It doesn't seem worth it to me. As much as I love driving and love BMW, I'd be purchasing a used, low-end car or taking public transportation. Better yet - I may move somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #48
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

well, car price in vietnam is pretty bad as well. car price is usually 3-4 times the US price. so a 70k 5 series is 210k (usd)

average salary from a college grad is about $500/mo. there is no way to afford a car. you are either poor or filthy rich. there is no middle ground
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #49
Wicewolf
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2014B MW 520DAT xdrive M-sport

High price, but is the cost that high?

I do not defend the high car-prices in my home country Norway by any means, but it is not as bad as it first look. For a bmw 5-series app. 50% of the price is taxes (), but the second hand value of the car also reflects this high initial price. If you sell your car after 5 years you can expect loss of value between 47-50%. But what is actually most interesting when it comes to judging the price of cars is how it is compared to the wages in different countries; How many hours do you have to work each week in different countries to finance the cost of a car.
A survey done by a big car-leasing company showed this weekly working hours for an average wage for different countries for e.g a BMW 318Touring:
  • Sweden 15,2
  • France 15,7
  • Spain 15,8
  • Denmark 18,3
  • Norway 19,3
  • Austria 19,4
  • Finland 20,0
  • Holland 24,9
  • Italy 25,4
  • Czech 70,0

As shown Norway with initial taxes maybe higher than most countries, still the country figure in the middle of this list and beats other European countries you would think car-hold would be cheaper, because the wages in Norway is fairly high compared to these countries.
Some will still argue though that working 19,3 hours a week to finance a BMW 3-series is a lot, but there are two things to point out that make this not look that bad:
- The working hours are based on the countries average wages. Most people buying such a BMW earn more than average wages.
- These are based on leasing costs, meaning the cost is based on the three first years of value loss, which is the highest. Most people keep their cars longer than 3 years and by that obtain a lower yearly cost by spreading the value loss of maybe 4-6 years.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #50
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

This thread should remind all of us 5 series owners in the states on how lucky we are to have such nice cars at relatively cheap prices compared to many other parts of the world.
      12-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #51
v12
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10TH View Post
There must be a few members from Thailand in the forum.
I'm not sure if they posted anything about Bimmers' retail price yet.

BMW Thailand has only 520i, 528i, 528i M-sport, 520d, 525d and Active Hybrid 5.

Super/unbelievable expensive here!!!

520i $115,000
528i $132,000
528i M-sport $138,000 (well, just M-aerodynamics kit)

520d $119,000
525d $135,000

Active Hybrid 5 ... you don't want to know it

LCI not yet available. possibly begining of 2014
At this price, no B&O. no navigator in 20i and 20d with tiny iDrive screen.
All of them CKD not CBU.
Cost of living in Bangkok is cheap but the cars are disproportionally expensive.

I just got my 520i.

But the roads are better than the ones I drive on here in Manhattan!

Man I miss TH!

How does importing a used car work, same painful taxes/ duties?
If not I'll send you a few 2013 ///M5 from here!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 02:54 AM   #52
Wicewolf
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
But the roads are better than the ones I drive on here in Manhattan!

Man I miss TH!

How does importing a used car work, same painful taxes/ duties?
If not I'll send you a few 2013 ///M5 from here!
Importing a new car would be at least as expensive when it comes to taxes. But you could gain a bit from the dealers profit. The downside would be that you could miss out the guarantee cars sold in Norway comes with that could be better than only the factory guarantee the imported car would have.
Importing a used car you will still get taxes although the tax would decline by its age. But as long as you are not importing quite an old car, there is not too much to gain.
Importing a car you will also have to make sure it comes with a winter package, so most of the imported cars are from south Germany where the cars are sold with more or less the same spec as in Norway because of the climate.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #53
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

For those with these God-awful expensive cars, how is the rest of the cost-of-living in your respective countries? For instance, what is the median home price in your country? Also curious about food, health care, etc.

I'm assuming "something needs to give" in order to allow cars to be this expensive - or everyone would be dirt poor, as may be the case in some of the Asian countries where folks have already commented about not having a middle class.

Housing here in the US, as I'm sure it does everywhere else, ranges drastically based upon locale. For instance, a house in the middle of nowhere (mid-west fly-over state) that costs $250k may be $1.25M in the NY metro area. However, for most of the US, if you're willing to commute a bit, you can buy a "decent" middle class home somewhere between $250k - $500k. And for those areas like NY, LA, Boston, Chicago, etc, you may need to increase that budget by 2x or commute 1 hr, 1.5 hrs, etc.

Considering housing is typically the most expensive living expense, I'm curious to hear from those with $100k+ 520d's how housing stacks up in their countries. And if this, too, is overly expensive, what exactly are you getting (bang for your buck) from living where you do?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #54
Wicewolf
Norway
Rep

Oslo with a population of 5-600 000 is a very small city compared to NY, but for a house in Oslo you would have to pay app 7500$/sqm. So for a small 150sqm house you would need to pay app 1,1+mill$. In the suburban of Oslo within commute distance of 30min-1hr the same sized house will cost app 650 000. There is no secret Oslo and Norway in general is expensive when it comes to food, gas and general living. The tax rate is for a middel class income is between 40-48%.
That said the whole social system and society is constructed quite different than my understanding of how USA are. There are less social differences between the the rich and the poor. Health care and education is more or less free, so no one need to save money for kids college, or need to pay expensive health and and social security insurances.
You have at least 4-5 weeks of vacation during the year and if you have a kid you get one year of paid maternity leave.

I think comparing what is the bang for the buck is quite complex as many factors would have to be counted and compared here. But there is an international measurement, The Human Development Index (HDI), that is a comparative measure of life expectancy, literacy, education, standards of living, and quality of life for countries worldwide, see link and list of countries:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...t_of_countries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_income

But back to cars: As car taxes are aimed towards bhp and emissions, cars with large engines are disproportionately expensive and you will not find too many M5s and and new big-block american cars over here

Last edited by Wicewolf; 12-31-2013 at 04:01 AM..
Appreciate 0