2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum suspension

05-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #1
MoneyJ
Rep
Drives: G35

suspension

Hi,

I am looking at a 2014 535. Would prefer RWD but most all in my area a xDrive.

Would a 2014 535xi M sport have the sport suspension, or is DHP the only way to get a better suspension?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
4DRS55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GTF80,718GT4,TVG80,G05X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyJ View Post
Hi,

I am looking at a 2014 535. Would prefer RWD but most all in my area a xDrive.

Would a 2014 535xi M sport have the sport suspension, or is DHP the only way to get a better suspension?

X-drive will not have the sport suspension even if it's an M sport
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

No sport suspension on xDrive with M-sport package.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
No sport suspension on xDrive with M-sport package.
Correct but you can get DHP. I have an xDrive MSport and have DHP.
      05-23-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
MoneyJ
Rep

Do folks seem to prefer sport suspension or non-sport but with DHP?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Not sure about "folks" but I have a strong preference for a passive setup and would therefore want the 704 M-sport passive suspension. There's another thing to think about: you said you would prefer RWD. Why not go with that, then? Unlike the Audi, which without AWD is just a front-wheel-drive, tarted-up VW, the RWD BMW is a great driver's car. The xDrive turns it into sort of a snow car, but the extra weight and complexity and cost don't contribute at all to the driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #7
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

After 13 years of RWD BMWs, I went with xDrive on the 550. I absolutely love it. Honestly, it doesn't change the feel of the car very much IMHO. There's no sensation of torque steer like you get on a FWD car. It still generally feels to have a RWD bias during normal driving. I got tired of fighting hills and inclines when the snow came around in the RWD. If xDrive is largely what's available in your area, it's probably for a reason - you get lots of snow. And it'll also be much easier to sell / trade when the time comes.

As for the suspension, both the passive (on RWD) and DHP (on either RWD or xDrive) is good. However, I'm a big fan of the DHP. I had the passive sport suspension on my prior BMW, and while it was fun and entertaining at-first, many long years of living with it caused me to lose enthusiasm for it over time. The thing about the passive setup is... it only has ONE personality... stiff. That's well and good if you're driving on smooth roads 90% of the time. But if you live in an area where you have potholes, cobblestone, city streets, etc, the passive suspension just beats you up in those circumstances... not fun.

The DHP has been one of my FAVORITE features of the 550. I do a considerable amount of business travel in the car, and I love the fact that I can change modes and alter the personality of the car (suspension and drivetrain). The normal setting (Comfort) is great for most circumstances. You can dial-in Comfort+ for an even more relaxed suspension (great when you're going through ugly city streets and don't want to be jarred around), Sport when you want some extra stiffness, and Sport+ to really push it to the max.

I've found the Sport and Sport+ settings to feel very much like a stiff passive suspension, while the Comfort mode feels much like a standard BMW stock suspension - stiffer than most but not overly stiff. The Comfort+ is like dialing in Caddy-mode or something... nothing I'd use other than on the roughest of roads.

The other thing about the DHP is that it's not just the stiffness of the suspension. It also comes with Active Roll Stabilization (ARS). ARS employs active roll-bars that twist to counter the forces during cornering to keep the car flat. I've found it works eerily well in most spirited corners and is a very cool technology.

So, in a nutshell, I'd say xDrive with DHP... but then again, that's no surprise as it's what I bought! You really need to judge for yourself what's most important. Both xDrive and DHP will add thousands to the price of the car... so that may be another consideration. But they're both incredibly capable systems, and there's a reason BMW charges a premium for both. I think you'd enjoy them.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
MoneyJ
Rep

Thank you all for the excellent and comprehensive responses. I am leaning toward RWD. I currently have a G35S sedan and love the handling and RWD feel...the only nuisance is swapping summer and winter tires. It is very difficult to find RWD f10s around here...looks like I may order a car or try to get my local dealer to ship one in.
Appreciate 0