2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Taking power from glove box light - ok?

03-13-2017, 07:10 AM   #1
Chris Mastree
Rep
Drives: F11 535d

Taking power from glove box light - ok?

New F11 535d but main dealer have been spectacularly unhelpful in helping me get my Brodit handsfree phone kit into this car. In case it 'goes on fire' etc...

So have clipped the phone holder to the trim and easily routed the power cable under the dark ash trim (delightfully easy as it just slipped under) and now have a 12v to 5v transformer sat in the glovebox needing power.

Don't want to start tearing a brand new car apart (as I did with the E61 to pull power from behind the cig lighter) so easiest solution seem to be to take from the glovebox light (pre-switch) and this might well stay on after ignition off until car sleeps too? Probably takes only an amp.

Will it throw up any 'current drain' faults? Is it the best way as I know there is a fuse box there but seems a bit buried.

Thanks

PS - and I hate all these Goggled threads about the 'cigarette lighter' power point in the glove box and by left passenger foot - top of the range car doesnt have any - its all plastic covers where they should be to save them a few euros!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

Are you saying you don't have the plug under passenger side dash?
I thought all had them.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
Chris Mastree
Rep
Drives: F11 535d

I have plastic blanking plates. Sob!
Appreciate 0