2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum X5 35d vs 550i???

09-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
Daddy Wagon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i M Sport White w/ Blk

X5 35d vs 550i???

I currently have a 2011 X5 35d and am considering going to a 2014 550i. Has anyone made this change and regretted it? I have two kids and want to be sure that the lesser leg and rear cargo room won't be missed in the X5. Thoughts and opinions appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Daddy Wagon
Private
United_States
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Depends how old the kids are.

I had an X5 loaner for almost a month and my wife loved the extra space it had both in the rear seat area and the trunk. The trunk only because our daughter just turned 1 and she still needs a big stroller. The interior room comes in handy because my wife still needs to feed her back there and change her diaper. We manage with all these things in the 550 but it def. isn't as easy. Once we eliminate the big stroller and she's able to feed herself then I'd say both cars will do its job fine. So if your kids are older the 550 isn't going to be a problem at all. two babies....i wouldn't do it.

On a side note the level of refinement/luxury/power going from the E70 X5 to a 550 is going to feel like you just arrived on a different planet. Good luck.

Alan
      09-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Snarry
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Depends how old the kids are.

I had an X5 loaner for almost a month and my wife loved the extra space it had both in the rear seat area and the trunk. The trunk only because our daughter just turned 1 and she still needs a big stroller. The interior room comes in handy because my wife still needs to feed her back there and change her diaper. We manage with all these things in the 550 but it def. isn't as easy. Once we eliminate the big stroller and she's able to feed herself then I'd say both cars will do its job fine. So if your kids are older the 550 isn't going to be a problem at all. two babies....i wouldn't do it.

On a side note the level of refinement/luxury/power going from the E70 X5 to a 550 is going to feel like you just arrived on a different planet. Good luck.

Alan
I hope my wife never sees this post .... we have our first child coming in December and all of my wife's friends were adamant that we needed to get an SUV. Note that we are a one car family that rarely drives (my 2011 335 has less than 15,000 miles on it) as our neighbourhood in Toronto has everything within walking distance and we both take the subway to work.

Notwithstanding the advice of her friends, I was able to convince her that a 550 was all we needed -- parents survived for decades without SUVs and did just fine. Fortunately she didn't particularly care for the way the X5 drove so the decision was made easier, but she has been questioning the decision now because of all the annoying comments still being made by her friends. Doesn't really matter now as the car was built to order and has left the port in Bremerhaven!

In any event, I am glad that my wife doesn't read the forums and am also glad to hear that Alan is "surviving" having a child in a regular old sedan!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

^^ My situation is nearly identical to yours and I was on the same exact position before we got our first F10. Everyone found out we were having a baby and automatically thought minivan or suv. I managed to convince the wife that a big sedan was enough.

My recommendation to you to make your life easier (without the wife complaining to you all the time about the car being too small...)

DO NOT get a super size stroller. I know they are popular and I got suckered into buying a Uppa Baby Vista because it looked cool. It is massive and although it fits in the F10's trunk fine, it is a pain in the ass loading and unloading groceries while the stroller also needs to come in and out. Stick with a snap in go system first then hold out until you could put your baby into those umbrella style strollers. Uppababy makes a very nice one. Those will still give you most of your trunk space. Your back and ears will thank you for it.

Select your baby car seat carefully. Different brands will have a huge impact on how much back seat space it takes in the car. I went with the Recaro at first simply because I am a car guy and who doesn't want a cool Recaro seat? but it is pretty wide and makes sitting two people in the back along with your baby seat very tight. We recently switched it out to a Diono baby seat and it is so much better. It is much narrower so you can fit two legitimate adults in the back again with the baby seat.

My daughter just turned one years old and I got my first F10 two weeks before she was born so trust me on this

Alan
      09-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
kave
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring 2012

Garage List
Its a shame you dont get the F11, its perfect with kids
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 550i M-Sport

I've got three children, and we've all got plenty of room in my '14 550i. I'm delaying getting a SUV for as long as possible because I hate them.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
lincvert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 wannabe

We own an E70 X5 and an F10 550i and before that an E60 with the X5. Our child is 5 and the F10 is easier for her to climb in without help. Cargo space is similar between both unless you have one of those huge bulky strollers. I hate driving the E70 and my wife doesn't like driving the F10. It all comes down to personal preference I guess.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 01:07 AM   #9
Daddy Wagon
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the tips. I pulled the trigger on a 2013 550i today. Between build out cash, BMW loyalty and discounts, I was given $8500 off of the MSRP of $84K. I think I did pretty good. I absolutely love the B&O sound system and the v8. Two things that I didn't have in the X5.
Appreciate 0