2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Pure Stage 2 Turbo Install is about to go down.

06-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #155
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
Its not the wastegate, it was sticky back when but has proved to be a non-issue since. Just won't make more than ~15psi and drops to 11 after 5300 or so.

I've done all the trouble shooting I can without pulling the turbo.
Quote:
Its not the wastegate, it was sticky back when but has proved to be a non-issue since. Just won't make more than ~15psi and drops to 11 after 5300 or so.

I've done all the trouble shooting I can without pulling the turbo.
On stock PWG Alex has mine hit 19psi and tapper to 13. Something is up with the solenoid or wastegate arm. You should be able to 20 something and hold
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #156
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

I've exhausted all means by which to find an outside factor on the car causing these issues. Pure is building a replacement unit to send out and swap. I've spent dozens of hours troubleshooting and swapping parts, exchanged dozens of emails with Pure, and brainstormed more than I can recall with Alex MissionPerformance

Pure still doesn't think its the turbo, but is going to start building a replacement to send out. I really don't want it to be but I don't know what else it could be... especially since coming across a post by drdingo detailing his all too similar experiences. punctuated by the turbo actually failing. A replacement got him sorted and boostin like he should be.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showpost...1&postcount=33

Some of the items I've worked through:

1. Diverter operation
The vehicle and all the original components on it have about 25k on them. I installed a new GFB DV+ on the original diverter valve at time of turbo install. I initially swapped the diverter back to stock configuration, and then subsequently replaced it this past weekend as an assembly with a new OEM Pierburg Diverter valve. No change in behavior.

2. Vacuum tested.
I've setup dual vacuum gauges on the vehicle while driving. One T'd into the vacuum pump output, and the other T'd into the EDPW control output. The vacuum pump quickly pegs the gauge at -30 inHg, and the control side stays well in excess of the 7-8 inHg required to hold it fully closed.The entire system holds vacuum with zero leak down overnight. My car was not optioned with the exhaust flapper and the second vacuum fitting on the valve cover has a plug cap on it from the factory. I have removed it to ensure it wasn't split, but again... it holds vacuum over night.

3. Boost leak tested.
I have tested with smoke and shop air no less than 3 separate occasions, and I have had one of the shop techs test it as well. I even built a fitting that screws a schrader valve into the meth port on my chargepipe so I can attach regulated shop air without leaky pipe caps and such nonsense. I get normal leak past the valve seats above 10-12psi or so, approximately 1psi per 30sec but otherwise it holds steady at 15-20psi, or whatever I have it regulated at. I even took the whole setup home to my garage where its whisper quiet, closed the door, and tested with zero ambient noise. If there was a whisp of smoke or the smallest of leaks I would have seen and heard it.

4. Verified off-car wastegate actuator.
I have removed the wastegate actuator from the vehicle and articulated it dozens of times by hand. Even with a side load on it it will move through its range of motion unhindered. With a vacuum applied to it I can push, pull and sideload the rod with no escaped vacuum. With hand pump vacuum applied on and off the car it reaches fully closed within 7-8 inHg, factory specs.

5. Vacuum solenoid/pressure conveter/EDPW
I swapped the vacuum solenoid from my wife's F25 X3 over and no behavior change. I then bypassed it entirely and ran vacuum pump output straight to the wastegate actuator. It slams shut immediately upon starting the engine and is not seen to move when revving the engine in neutral. I pushed on it with a long pry bar trying to open at idle and it was closed forcefully and presented tremendous resistance to my effort. I went one step further and wired the wastegate arm shut with an uncoated coat hanger and even then did not see any change of behavior. The DME is asking for 100% WGDC, its getting it. With the wastegate physically wired shut it will not make more than 19psi by 4k rpm, and start dropping to 14 by 5k, and 11 by redline. It should pretty much insta-overboost 20 25psi+ wired closed. It does not, it can not. I would need to have the boost leak to end all boost leaks to lose that much boost pressure and volume at higher RPM and would be an extremely audible leak.

7. Verify closing vacuum for the wastegate with hand pump?
I have applied a mightyvac hand pump directly to the wastegate actuator and verified it moves through its range of motion correctly. It is reaching fully closed by 7-8Hg, precisely the same as my stock F25 X3. At one point this movement was restricted by the wastegate flapper arm binding, but that seems to have been resolved with repeated applications of lubricant and it now opens and closes without resistance every time I've dropped the undertray and reached up to articulate it.

The car has a catless ER downpipe with flex section, I have dropped the exhaust to inspect and verified no collapse/failure of the flex section.

I'm seeing what looks like decay of output/boost output vs what I've logged over time, as of current I'm seeing a maximum of 16psi by 5100RPM, tapering quickly to 9.5-10psi at 6840rpm.... With the wastegate mechanically disabled in the closed position.

Working normally with everything in factory control figuration I expect the turbo to be fully spooled and outputting a minimum of 17psi by 1800RPM, 20psi (or wherever the control limit has been set by 3000RPM holding that control limit through redline. As it stands my turbo struggles to make 16psi by 5000rpm, and then drops like a rock to 10psi or less by 6800rpm. I made more power on the factory original turbo.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2017, 07:22 AM   #157
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

^^^^^

sorry to hear about that! hopefully you'll figure something out! one the reasons why i shy'd away from going with upgraded turbos is i don't have any local shops who specialize in tuning these out here in Ohio. at least you have the knowledge to at least trouble shoot the issue but in this case you're coming up empty.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #158
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
@stück that is horrible sorry so much time has gone into that with no results. All I can say is I know it's possible to hold more boost and that the stock turbo is definitely the limiting factor. I'm holding 13 to redline.

Alex is going to rebuild my stock turbo within the month. Let's see if what happens and maybe that will shed some light.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 12:30 PM   #159
AMT92
Lieutenant Colonel
Iran
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
@stück that is horrible sorry so much time has gone into that with no results. All I can say is I know it's possible to hold more boost and that the stock turbo is definitely the limiting factor. I'm holding 13 to redline.

Alex is going to rebuild my stock turbo within the month. Let's see if what happens and maybe that will shed some light.
Why rebuild and not just go with Pure stage 1?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 07:32 AM   #160
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMTF10 View Post
Why rebuild and not just go with Pure stage 1?
that PureTurbo is pretty much your stock turbo housing with different internals.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #161
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
@stück have you read this about PS1? The guy used a JB4 and now boost holds?! Crazy.

Pure Turbos Stage 1 - UPDATED JULY 25 http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1257819

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 10:20 AM   #162
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
@stück have you read this about PS1? The guy used a JB4 and now boost holds?! Crazy.

Pure Turbos Stage 1 - UPDATED JULY 25 http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1257819
I wish it was as simple as that. Its not a software issue, and there is nothing a JB4 can do to help if literally wiring the wastegate in the completely closed position still does not get the turbo to build/hold boost.

With the EDPW bypassed, or the wastegate wired closed it pretty much removes the tune and DME control from the equation. With the wastegate cinched closed the turbo should be able to instantly spool and overboost to 25+psi by 2500-3000rpm for sure.

My turbo with the wastegate cinched closed barely manages to make 16psi by 4500-5000rpm.

The DME could still close the throttle to prevent overboost, but the TMAP would show a large pressure differential between the charge pipe and the intake manifold. It doesn't.

The DME could open the diverter valve to attempt to slow the shaft speed, but you'd hear it, and even if it did the bypass valve doesn't have sufficient flow to vent off that volume of air at higher RPM's.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 10:39 AM   #163
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
After all that time testing every possibility, have you tried to pressure test the the turbo directly and see how much PSI the turbo itself can take? Maybe the wheel is defective and PURE needs to replace the one they sold you?

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 10:12 PM   #164
Dollar Bill 535
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i N55

Stück, what is the update on your turbo?

Alot of people are waiting on an update including myself.
Appreciate 1
gabypr150.00
      07-08-2017, 10:33 PM   #165
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

Haven't heard anything for a few weeks, shot off an email Friday before I left work... waiting just like you I'm afraid.
Appreciate 1
gabypr150.00
      07-08-2017, 10:38 PM   #166
AZ-MCRacer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G82 M4, 2013 F10 N55

Quote:
Haven't heard anything for a few weeks, shot off an email Friday before I left work... waiting just like you I'm afraid.
Did you pull and send the turbo back to Pure?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 11:11 PM   #167
Dollar Bill 535
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you been daily driving it still with no issues other than the turbo?

Are you waiting to hear back from Pure?

Last edited by Dollar Bill 535; 07-09-2017 at 02:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 09:31 AM   #168
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

I can't pull the turbo because its a daily driver, Pure is building a replacement and I'll ship back this unit.

Car still drives fine. just isn't making the boost/power it should.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #169
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

I've got word from Pure that the turbo should ship end of the week, along with the inlet flanges so I can fabricate my own inlet. Pure does not sell one for the F10 chassis but they will sell you the machined flanges for applications they don't support.

Hoping to have some much much desired updates and an actual dyno soon.
Appreciate 3
      07-25-2017, 06:59 PM   #170
AZ-MCRacer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G82 M4, 2013 F10 N55

Glad to hear it! I am curious what you find on the inlet, I definitely think the stock one is a restriction on our cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 06:39 PM   #171
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

So a small update.

The turbo never shipped, and Pure has decided that fabrication of a larger turbo inlet is requisite before going down the road of replacement.

Pure sent me an inlet flange so I could fabricate said inlet. To be clear Pure does not offer an F10 N55 inlet, only for other chassis.

The flange came yesterday and I knocked out the fabrication today. Tomorrow I'll have it TIG welded together and then I'll install it back in the car.

The stock inlet necks down to 45mm ID at the turbo, where as the new inlet is a minimum of 57mm ID. That is a 60% cross sectional area increase between them... heres hoping it unleashes the beast.
Appreciate 1
gabypr150.00
      08-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #172
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
So a small update.

The turbo never shipped, and Pure has decided that fabrication of a larger turbo inlet is requisite before going down the road of replacement.

Pure sent me an inlet flange so I could fabricate said inlet. To be clear Pure does not offer an F10 N55 inlet, only for other chassis.

The flange came yesterday and I knocked out the fabrication today. Tomorrow I'll have it TIG welded together and then I'll install it back in the car.

The stock inlet necks down to 45mm ID at the turbo, where as the new inlet is a minimum of 57mm ID. That is a 60% cross sectional area increase between them... heres hoping it unleashes the beast.
Oh shit nice! Could you make more of these? This is a must have for me too? I'm in the process right now of a turbo upgrade.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #173
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

Yeah, you're not the first to ask. I will make a few more provided my initial prototype increases the chooch factor.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #174
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, you're not the first to ask. I will make a few more provided my initial prototype increases the chooch factor.
Please keep me in the loop on this one

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 10:52 AM   #175
Dollar Bill 535
Banned
United_States
Rep

Stück, you stated on July 25th that Pure already agreed to ship out a replacement turbo, but now surprise surprise it might not need a replacement. You are an absolute fraud, you've never posted one single solid piece of proof that you have a Pure Stage 2 or many of the other F10 modifications that you claim to have installed. I think that you post pics of installed for other vehicles (because you work in a tuning shop) and then you pass them off like it's getting installed on your own car. You've wasted so much time and should honestly be ashamed for being such a phony. I hope you can prove me wrong... Post a video tour of your F-10, post some proof pics like you did of your garage remodel, post a log, post an email or invoice from Pure, post anything at all. You're active on this forum and others almost everyday, yet you always seem to be too busy or have some excuse to prevent you from posting something that actually proves even some of your claimed mods.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #176
Dollar Bill 535
Banned
United_States
Rep

I sincerely hope you prove me wrong...
Appreciate 0