2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) 2012 Formula 1 Off-weeks Thread

04-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #111
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Mid-Season testing at Mugello will take place May 1-3.
McLaren announced both Hamilton and Button will NOT take place at the testing, instead of McLaren test drivers Gary Paffett and Oliver Turvey.
      04-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #112
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

I like pit stops, i dont like the fact that mclaren is pathetic when it comes to pit stops.

The tires now suck. Its all about tire management these days.
      04-24-2012, 01:29 AM   #113
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
The tires now suck. Its all about tire management these days.
I'm starting to feel the same way. Last year, I enjoyed it for the most part. But this year, the drivers just seem to be tip-toeing around not really able to go all out and 'race' each other for fear of burning the tires up too soon.

Simplest solution is to just bring refueling back.
      04-24-2012, 01:39 AM   #114
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, R35 GT-R

Yes tyres and team work, very important.

Bringing refueling back would be interesting.

Was always good to see light cars getting awesome lap times
      04-24-2012, 02:31 AM   #115
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I'm starting to feel the same way. Last year, I enjoyed it for the most part. But this year, the drivers just seem to be tip-toeing around not really able to go all out and 'race' each other for fear of burning the tires up too soon.

Simplest solution is to just bring refueling back.
I have been saying this since they got rid of it. Imagine them trying to figure out a refueling and tire strategy together, with these crazy tires.

I do agree though, the tire degradation is getting excessive. I feel we aren't seeing the quickest cars win, but rather what car/driver takes better care of their tires on any given weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #116
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Also bring back qualifying tires, given now we don't see much "pure" racing per-se on Sunday. Saturday qualifying is pretty much the only chance we see the true pace of man and machine.

But now since you have to save the tires for first stint, many just opted to do a one lap flyer. Then save the tires for race day regardless the position.
      04-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #117
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

i miss refueling.
      04-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #118
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post

Simplest solution is to just bring refueling back
I disagree. They removed refueling for the simple reason that it resulted in too much overtaking in the pit lane, as opposed to on track. Instead, if you eliminate both tire changes AND refueling (in other words, introduce a very hard compound that can easily run the race distance), it will be a flat-out sprint from lights to flag. Drivers will be forced to do all their overtaking ON track, which I think we can all agree is the most enjoyable to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Also bring back qualifying tires, given now we don't see much "pure" racing per-se on Sunday. Saturday qualifying is pretty much the only chance we see the true pace of man and machine.

But now since you have to save the tires for first stint, many just opted to do a one lap flyer. Then save the tires for race day regardless the position.
This is a good suggestion, and something I've been harping about for a while. This stupid format results in a relatively boring Q3 as opposed to Q1/Q2.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #119
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thumbs up for qualifying tyres!

Definately got my vote.
      04-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #120
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Its fair to say F1 has swing to another side of extreme, previously we have durable Birdgestones (love them on my E90), and refueling. Where not much action on the track and fuel strategy dictates the result.

Now we turned to Pirelli where very fragile and delicate tires. Cause the teams and drivers to nurse the tires more than pure pace on track. Tire strategy dictates the outcome and true pace of the cars are hidden under the fragile tires.

Nonetheless, Its always a balance between racing, strategy, fuel load, weather, etc in a motorsport. But how much we went to see in each category is still a search even after many years of racing.
      04-24-2012, 07:56 PM   #121
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Bring back Bridgestone
      04-25-2012, 02:45 AM   #122
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
miss refueling too! +1
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 03:58 AM   #123
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nang Vann View Post
Bring back Bridgestone
Only if they are the only tire provider. I hated when there was two tire suppliers. I do not want to watch a tire race, I want to know who makes the quickest cars on the planet.

Pirelli could easily make a tire that last. They are being ask to make all these different compound.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:56 AM   #124
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Only if they are the only tire provider. I hated when there was two tire suppliers. I do not want to watch a tire race, I want to know who makes the quickest cars on the planet.

Pirelli could easily make a tire that last. They are being ask to make all these different compound.
Ive owned a few Pirelli compounds. And let me say that the way they degrade in F1 is an accurate representation of their street tires

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 07:49 AM   #125
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Ive owned a few Pirelli compounds. And let me say that the way they degrade in F1 is an accurate representation of their street tires
Quite an opposite for me, I had Pirelli PZero Nero M+S all season on my previous car, and it last like forever (giving up plenty of grip, but my previous one is not made for performance anyways).

However the Bridgestone was not bad until BMW dealership ran an aggressive camber on my rear and worn out the inside shoulder on my non-directional RE760.

Correct, Pirelli could've make a similar spec range of tires that could last a whole race as we seen in 2010.
      04-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #126
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Quite an opposite for me, I had Pirelli PZero Nero M+S all season on my previous car, and it last like forever (giving up plenty of grip, but my previous one is not made for performance anyways).

However the Bridgestone was not bad until BMW dealership ran an aggressive camber on my rear and worn out the inside shoulder on my non-directional RE760.
I have stories from family and family friends going back to 70s of only getting 5-10K miles out of Pirelli tires.

I had PZeros and Sottozeros on my car at one point. Both gave me a lot of grip and a lot of fun (Im still pretty sure that those Sottozeros gripped better than the stock bridgestones) but I got about 7K out of each set vs 20 - 25K out of two different sets of PS2s with a similar driving style.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #127
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I have stories from family and family friends going back to 70s of only getting 5-10K miles out of Pirelli tires.

I had PZeros and Sottozeros on my car at one point. Both gave me a lot of grip and a lot of fun (Im still pretty sure that those Sottozeros gripped better than the stock bridgestones) but I got about 7K out of each set vs 20 - 25K out of two different sets of PS2s with a similar driving style.
Mate, how the hell did you get 25k out of a PS2 . I've never managed to squeeze more than 10-12k out of a set.

Anyway, this is getting off topic. Predictions for Barcelona? I just hope Ferrari can get their act together and get into the mix. Otherwise, I'm very happy with how close the teams are this year.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #128
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo M3 View Post
Mate, how the hell did you get 25k out of a PS2 . I've never managed to squeeze more than 10-12k out of a set.

Anyway, this is getting off topic. Predictions for Barcelona? I just hope Ferrari can get their act together and get into the mix. Otherwise, I'm very happy with how close the teams are this year.
Honestly? No clue. I also had at least a dozen autox days per PS2 set.

My only theory is that most of my driving is highway driving, around the east coast, which is pretty easy on your tires.

I dunno though. Ive recently moved to star specs (last summer) well see how long I manage to make those last. But ill actually be able to rotate them, so I imagine itll be a while.

And back on topic. Itll certainly be a chance for McLaren to work out their pitstop issues.

I really like the way the season has been, lets hope this season keeps going like that Hopefully well get some nice upgrades from the 2nd tier teams to make them more competitive. Hell Sauber managed a podium, I want to see them back there.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #129
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

mclaren needs to change there wheel locks/bolts to what everyone else uses...
      04-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #130
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
mclaren needs to change there wheel locks/bolts to what everyone else uses...
I believe McLaren is currently using traditional wheel nut. Heard they are investigating the capture wheel nut possibility. Where it embedded to the wheel itself (But regulation does not allow the nut to attach to the wheel itself? Regulation only said things that allowed to attached to the wheel).

Quote:
12.8.1 The only parts which may be physically attached to the wheel in addition to the tyre are surface treatments for appearance and protection, valves for filling and discharging the tyre, balance weights, drive pegs, tyre pressure and temperature monitoring devices and spacers on the inboard mounting face of identical specification on all wheels for the same axle.

12.8.2 The wheel must be attached to the car with a single fastener. The outer diameter of the fastener must not exceed 105mm and the axial length must not exceed 75mm. The wheel fastener may not attach or mount any part to the car except the wheel assembly described in Article 12.8.1.
Ted Kravis pointed out another problem, if the wheel nut is indeed attached to the wheel. The mechanic must insert the wheel in perfect perpendicular to the axle. There will still a chance of cross-threading the nut. If that occurs, where the nut stuck to the wheel, they will have to change ALL the wheels. Regulation prohibits mix tires, they must change a whole set of four.
      04-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #131
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

they need to do something, i just find it weird that they are the only team that uses the old style wheel nuts.
      04-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #132
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
they need to do something, i just find it weird that they are the only team that uses the old style wheel nuts.
Not surprised, McLaren is very conservative in terms of certain technology (pitstops, front jacks, wheel nuts), and race strategy.