2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Does it matter which Drive mode to choose?

04-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW (F10) 528i Xdrive

Garage List
Does it matter which Drive mode to choose?

Does it matter which Drive mode to choose?

It is one of the questions that many of us have asked ourselves. Either you care about your pocket and trying to save some by driving in ECO PRO mode, or you care more about the joy of driving a sport car and always push the sport button after starting the car (considering you already coded the auto start/stop function to off by default). In any case this question is on back of our heads what are the differences really? This thread is about the fuel consumption side of the equation. For more information about the technical side of it, I refer you to this thread:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824138

Anyway, I did a test, some parts of which were boring and painful to see what is the actual difference in fuel consumption in different driving modes. Here are some results and observations.

SETUP:
Before getting to results lets first see what was the setup for this test. I drive a 2012 F10 528i XDrive. I drove my daily commutes including driving to and from my office, 17 km [10.56 miles] each way (mixed of highway and city); shopping, going to parties on weekends and…. four times, each time for a whole tank (70 liter [18 gallon]), in one driving mode all the time. The process is detailed below. I filled my tank all the times with premium (91) gas from Shell.
The days and temperature were very similar so it should not have a significant effect on the results.

TEST PROCESS:
After filling up at the gas station I reset the average consumption and average speed. I drove each whole tank in one driving mode: ( up to the point that available fuel to go according to the car was 16 km[10 miles])

1- ECO PRO with auto start/stop activated, speed limit reminder of 95 kmh [60 mph] to reach 95% efficiency in ECO-PRO mode settings.

2- COMFORT with Auto start/stop on.

3- SPORT with Auto start/stop off

4- COMFORT with Auto start/stop on. (For some double tests)

Part one of the test was very difficult and boring
Each part of the test took about 8-10 days.

RESULTS:
The table below shows the average consumptions for each driving mode and average speed for the duration of the test.

Name:  table1.png
Views: 4992
Size:  95.4 KB

According to this table, the consumption for ECO PRO and COMFORT modes are really close to each other. The difference between SPORT mode and the other two is about 1l/100km more [more than 2 mpg less] on average. Let's do some calculations on this:

Let's assume that the average price for fuel is 1.25 $/liter in Canada and 3.5 $/gallon in the US. (This is a realistic assumption according to statistics http://gasbuddy.com)

Name:  ch-1.gaschart.gif
Views: 3896
Size:  18.1 KB
Name:  ch.gaschart.gif
Views: 3797
Size:  18.1 KB

My lease milage limit is 18000 km/year [roughly equivalent to 12000 miles/year]

The table below shows my average yearly cost of fuel if I solely drive in one mode.
Sample calculation for ECO PRO:

Canada: (18000 / 100)* 9.9 * 1.25 = 2227.5 CA$/year
USA: (12000 / 23.76) * 3.5 = 1767.68 US$/year

Name:  table2.png
Views: 3966
Size:  66.2 KB

As it can be seen the total that one would save in a year by choosing to drive in ECO PRO mode rather than SPORT mode is $200-$300.

One interesting observation here is on the average speed. I, unconsciously, drove faster while in SPORT mode compare to the other two. 4kmh [2 mph] in average is significant. At first I thought I became more aggressive during the time; however, repeating the test for COMFORT mode (part 4 of the test), and getting the same averages, showed me that the change in my driving behavior is not due to the time it is due to the mode that I am driving in.

CONCLUSIONS:
1- This test can,fairly, be rated as a scientific test.
2- It shows that driving in different modes although has some effects on the family's economy, but is not a significant amount.
3- If in your manner: higher speed = more joy, definitely driving in SPORT mode has more joy in it.
4- One should make sure that while driving in SPORT mode pay more attention to rules and speed limits. (If you cannot, see this thread to code your car to limit you )
5- If you don't care much or you are spontaneous, drive in combined modes, i.e. Sometimes ECO PRO sometimes SPORT and probably mostly in COMFORT as it doesn't need changing modes.

2012 528i XDrive Alpine white

Last edited by Zaman; 04-19-2013 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

Thanks for this. Very interesting. If I were intelligent enough, I'd do it here in Germany. Imagine there would be a greater disparity as my commute is a bit longer and my speed ranges between 30 - 150 mph. I end up filling up a lot more than I'd like to
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
If I had more time, I'de do each run several times and get some charts and stuff with more statistics. But life is so busy.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 05:14 AM   #4
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Zaman,

Hats off to you - a great piece of work and well presented. I've often wondered about the effects of switching mode. I think you have demonstrated that one may as well use Comfort mode over Eco pro.
I would use Sports mode a lot more but I have a lot of motorway in my daily commute and, for reasons best known to BMW, Sports mode doesn't use the eighth gear?
So, I default to Comfort and switch temporarily to sport gearbox mode when joining a motorway, then back to normal drive when I'm at cruise speed.
(I realise you were not referring to sports auto mode BTW).
      04-20-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
Screamin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 528i xDrive

I agree. I drive the same F10 and I've done similar tests. Nothing as detailed as yours - really great job. My commute is about 61km/38 miles each way though and I do a fair amount of driving during the week. In ECO, my max speed has been 120kph/75mph with cruise control on and I've been averaging 10.8km/l or 25.5mpg, it's all express way. In SPORT I'm anywhere between 128 & 160 kph / 80mph & 100 mph with out cruise control and getting 9-10 km/l or 23 - 24mpg. In my previous cars, I have usually driven like it like I stole it. Now, I still enjoy a spirited drive to the office but at lower speeds. I feel the greater savings isn't in the difference of driving modes but the difference the N20, N55, & N63 engines in the 5 series. IMO, in North America, unless your tracking your car, the N55 & N63 can't be thoroughly enjoyed and opened up safely for any great distances and the N20 was the better choice for me.
'97 E39 528i (Arctic Silver Metallic) - Gone
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Thanks detailed write as as regards eco-pro versus comfort confirmed my suspicions that Eco-pro is not making much difference.
Sure there is a difference there but its small and this mode is really just extracting the maximum efficiency out of the car.
I'm sure if in the EU, there were no rules asregards CO2 emissions and tax rates based upon that and fuel consumption, BMW would never have offered this mode.It seesm to be there to get the headline emission figures where the slighest advantage can help, but real world....
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
Zaman,

Hats off to you - a great piece of work and well presented. I've often wondered about the effects of switching mode. I think you have demonstrated that one may as well use Comfort mode over Eco pro.
Thnanks, You are right. I guess one of the reasons they call it Comfort is the fact that you get similar consumption without the hassle of changing to Eco pro each time.
Quote:
... and, for reasons best known to BMW, Sports mode doesn't use the eighth gear?
I didn't know that.
Quote:
If you mean using M/S or steering paddles for gear shift, I didn't use it for this test.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin View Post
I agree. I drive the same F10 and I've done similar tests. Nothing as detailed as yours - really great job. My commute is about 61km/38 miles each way though and I do a fair amount of driving during the week. In ECO, my max speed has been 120kph/75mph with cruise control on and I've been averaging 10.8km/l or 25.5mpg, it's all express way. In SPORT I'm anywhere between 128 & 160 kph / 80mph & 100 mph with out cruise control and getting 9-10 km/l or 23 - 24mpg. In my previous cars, I have usually driven like it like I stole it. Now, I still enjoy a spirited drive to the office but at lower speeds. I feel the greater savings isn't in the difference of driving modes but the difference the N20, N55, & N63 engines in the 5 series. IMO, in North America, unless your tracking your car, the N55 & N63 can't be thoroughly enjoyed and opened up safely for any great distances and the N20 was the better choice for me.
I agree. It is really difficult to get what it meant to be from these engines. I am envious of those who drive in Germany's autobahns.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaman View Post
I am envious of those who drive in Germany's autobahns.
Good fun, but hard on the wallet
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
Zaman
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Good fun, but hard on the wallet
I guess I should come over and do a test on it.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
Zaman,

I would use Sports mode a lot more but I have a lot of motorway in my daily commute and, for reasons best known to BMW, Sports mode doesn't use the eighth gear?
So, I default to Comfort and switch temporarily to sport gearbox mode when joining a motorway, then back to normal drive when I'm at cruise speed.
I do the same. I use Sport Mode as more of a "booster button", and then revert back to Comfort (or Eco if I feel like it) when I'm done with the spirited little "push". I love how comprehensive and genuine BMW's "Sport Mode" is, you know you're driving a car from true blooded performance bran when you drive with it on. Unlike Mercedes, or just about anybody else, who's "Sport Modes" are marketing jokes. Therefore, I appreciate how aggressive it is, pretty much wanting redline every time, holding gears when you let off the gas instead of downshifting, etc.

HOWEVER, I wish BMW would give us a Sports Mode that's more "driveable" as well. I can rarely ever enjoy the merits of the Sports Mode (quicker throttle snap, more aggressive tranny shifting, more weighted steering) because the damn thing wants to hold gears to ridiculous levels which makes it pointless in regular day to day traffic, not to mention unusable on the freeway as it doesn't even give you an 8th gear. It would have been PERFECT if "Sport" was everything EXCEPT for the holding gears, and then "Sports +" would hold gears as if it expects you're racing at every moment.

My fix for this actually ads another element of fun to the car, which is putting it in "S", then "DS", then engaging the paddles to control my own RPM's. It's the only way I can enjoy the merits of Sports Mode while being able to put around at lower RPM's, unless otherwise wanted, to save gas.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 01:00 AM   #12
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

That's actually quite a fun way to drive , you get the heavier steering and can choose 8th gear if you want as well
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #13
528imsport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Msport

this is good to hear that we do save on the fuel and the planet.
I do about eco 70% comfort 10% sport 20%
sport mode only use on over taking and Meet ups
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 02:16 AM   #14
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
HOWEVER, I wish BMW would give us a Sports Mode that's more "driveable" as well. I can rarely ever enjoy the merits of the Sports Mode (quicker throttle snap, more aggressive tranny shifting, more weighted steering) because the damn thing wants to hold gears to ridiculous levels which makes it pointless in regular day to day traffic, not to mention unusable on the freeway as it doesn't even give you an 8th gear. It would have been PERFECT if "Sport" was everything EXCEPT for the holding gears, and then "Sports +" would hold gears as if it expects you're racing at every moment.
I agree with you completely. In other automatic cars I have had recently e.g. AMG and Jaguar R models, the Sport mode equivalent didn't cause unnecessary revving when inappropriate. On a light throttle around town, or cruising at highway speeds, revs would be exactly the same whether in Sport mode or not. What it did do was sharpen the throttle response and the shift speed, and as soon as you asked for power, it changed down instantly anyway, so there would really be no need to be in a lower gear, or any benefit from it. With those other cars, I was able to leave it in Sport mode all of the time without many downsides. So I don't really understand this Sport mode of BMW's at all, because it seems to insist on using lower gears and higher revs than necessary, just for the sake of it, when I'm sure it would work perfectly well without doing that.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 02:41 AM   #15
K-A
Nice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-p View Post
I agree with you completely. In other automatic cars I have had recently e.g. AMG and Jaguar R models, the Sport mode equivalent didn't cause unnecessary revving when inappropriate. On a light throttle around town, or cruising at highway speeds, revs would be exactly the same whether in Sport mode or not. What it did do was sharpen the throttle response and the shift speed, and as soon as you asked for power, it changed down instantly anyway, so there would really be no need to be in a lower gear, or any benefit from it. With those other cars, I was able to leave it in Sport mode all of the time without many downsides. So I don't really understand this Sport mode of BMW's at all, because it seems to insist on using lower gears and higher revs than necessary, just for the sake of it, when I'm sure it would work perfectly well without doing that.
Totally agreed. As much as I love how "pure blooded" and comprehensive the BMW Sport Mode is, it's the only unusable Sport Mode I've ever experienced, come to think of it. Why put all that strain constantly in the motor, and throw money out the window due to holding revs so high? Like you said, the downshifts would be instantaneous anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Sorry guys but I don't see the issue.

I don't use the drivetrain configuration, unless I want the sport gear changes. I just configure the chassis and get firmer damping and more heavily weighted steering, leave the drivetrain setting unchecked.

If you want standard transmission function it is there, I wouldn't want a sensitive throttle setting with standard gear changes. No point as it would only mean more pointless auto gear changing, unless you were extra sensitive on the throttle to prevent the 'box over changing.

So what is missing?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 01:10 AM   #17
K-A
Nice
Rep

Unfortunately with 2013 models we can't configure what we want out of the Sport Settings. It's either all or nothing. Also keeping in mind we with M Sports get the new mechanical M suspension which isn't affected by the settings as well.
Appreciate 0