2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Carbon wing install question

01-27-2016, 02:00 PM   #1
Pit Stopper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i M-Sport

Carbon wing install question

Hello all,
New here! I just bought my first Beemer!! 2011 535i M-Sport in carbon black metallic. bought it from a local dealer and couldn't be more happy!
Just like everyone else I've spent every free moment piling through the Web for any and all information pertaining to my new ride and i found this amazing place! I've decided on a few things I want to do to the car to add my personality to it, first being a carbon trunk spoiler. I found one on eBay and bought it. $179 SHIPPED TO MY DOOR!! it looks awesome out of the box!!!! we'll see how it fits, I haven't even dry fit it yet.(I Know!!! )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291486932591...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I just looked and they have one left and they raised the price to $260 now the question.

it came with some unidentified tape and glue (the tape is still in roll form and not on the wing) i do not trust it and will be buying 3M tape for this purpose, no brainer)
The Glue? do I or should i use the adhesive as well? I still wouldn't use what they supplied me as it is unmarked as well. (I would use a 3M adhesive as well if I need to glue)

DO I NEED TO USE THE GLUE ALONG WITH THE DOUBLE SIDED TAPE?

I don't want my new spoiler left on the side of the freeway, but i don't want to over do it in case I need to remove someday.

I'm excited to be joining this community and look forward to your knowledge, wisdom and advice on this fine automobile!!!!

Thanks!!!!
      01-27-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

You don't need the glue the 3m 30lb double sided tape will hold it on no problem. That's what I used on mine, it's been on there for almost a year now and it's not coming loose.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 03:47 PM   #3
Pit Stopper
United_States
Rep

Thanks!! I just don't want this thing flying off on the freeway.
      01-27-2016, 04:05 PM   #4
jooobi3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i XDrive

Make sure when you install it check the weather forecast for the sunniest week haha, after you install apply good pressure and do not take it through the car wash if you want the adhesive to bond.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 07:41 PM   #5
Akkord29
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80, G20, E46

I had a small spoiler, my version and only used the tape. No issues as I drive 80 miles a day on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 10:43 AM   #6
Pit Stopper
United_States
Rep

Hello all,
We'll I went for it yesterday. I got everything all prepped and ready for the new carbon spoiler install. I took my time and taped everything off and used a hair dryer to warm the tape on the spoiler and the trunk metal. The most nerve racking point was lining up the wing with my tape marks on the trunk from the dry fit.
I found using the tape and clamp method worded the best for the spoiler I chose to install. I cut up a yoga mat to protect my paint and used a towel wrapped 10lb weight to keep the trunk spring counter balanced while I worked on the clamps.
i'll be pulling the clamps off this afternoon. i'll get some more pictures out as soon as I can.

also in the process of; LED interior upgrade, front lip rock guard/grille painting, new front spoiler painting and install coming soon.
Attached Images

03-07-2016, 07:43 PM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Got Clamps?! LOL! looks great! Looks like you're the only one flossin' this spoiler! Can't wait to see it done! My carbon fiber 3d style spoiler is on it's way so I'll probably give the clamp idea a shot to make sure it adheres properly
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 01:05 PM   #8
Pit Stopper
United_States
Rep

Thanks!! I wanted something different than what ive been seeing on all the other cars. looks great to me. You should have seen the look on the face of the lady at Home Depot when I bought all those clamps.....Then promptly returned them when I was done ;-) Just make sure you blue tape everything so the clamps don't scratch the paint. don't forget under the trunk lid. cut up an old yoga mat and (purple thing) I also wrapped a 10lb weight in a towel and used it as a counter weight on the trunk lid so the springs didn't keep the trunk lid in a vertical position.
Attached Images

06-19-2016, 02:25 AM   #9
Ross620
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

my spoiler on the way aswell. cant wait to install it. trying to figure out the best way to do it with the 3m double sided :P never done it before either hehe
      06-21-2016, 06:19 AM   #10
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross620 View Post
my spoiler on the way aswell. cant wait to install it. trying to figure out the best way to do it with the 3m double sided :P never done it before either hehe
Its all preference! I went with double side tape and it just didn't feel solid! so on the 3d carbon spoiler I used the Betalink. I also used Pit Stopper's tape and weight method

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0