2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Stock 2013 BMW 528i Drivetrain Malfunctions

09-06-2023, 09:20 PM   #1
Gabe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i

Garage List
2013 BMW 528i   [0.00]
Stock 2013 BMW 528i Drivetrain Malfunctions

Hello everyone.

I’ve had this 2013 BMW for almost a year(got it at 88k miles) and it now has 104xxx mi on her. As I was driving today it went into Limp Mode and Drivetrain Malf. Popped up.

For context this is the third time this has happened(technically 4th):

1st Time: Took it to my private mechanic who specifically only works on BMWs/Mercs and said oil filter collapsed as well as something w/ VANOS system being clogged w/ bad oil. They fix by flushing oil, replacing filter, and using additives in a new oil change, also recommending earlier oil change intervals

2nd Time: pops up maybe 2-4 months later, take it back to same mechanic and they recommended me to nearest dealer. BMW dealer says I need new wiring harness due to oil leaks in a few areas. And strictly say VANOS is getting clogged due to oil leaks or something of that matter. They fix this & replace wiring harness.
3rd Time(if you even count this): Less than 48hrs later, same thing. Bring it back to them, and they say I need to replace the whole of the VANOS actuator Exhaust side, it was either the actuator or the full on VANOS exhaust system. Regardless it was gonna cost 5k plus some other BS, so I take it to an old mechanic that used to work on my families other cars… they say they have an ex-BMW tech guy. He takes a look, says he flipped the actuator from exhaust to in take and vice versa, test drove it and said it was fine, plus apparently another oil leak, that cost $750.

And now the 4th time: Someone please tell me what’s going on with my car, I’m gonna go crazy, anyways, Thanks!.
Appreciate 0