2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 535d (USA) 530d turbo DIY tips?

08-23-2023, 08:32 PM   #1
dpalumbo25
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d

535d (USA) 530d turbo DIY tips?

So I just changed my turbo and now I have a huge leak and not sure where it is coming from.(Also changed water pump, thermostat, and valve cover gasket.) I understand the USA version 535d is the European 530d as its only a single turbo and not a dual. I bought a new turbo from Garrett who is the OEM supplier. Bought the installation kit too. Does anyone have any tips on installation? Undertook this adventure b/c I had oil throughout my intercooler and intake manifold. found oil in the turbo muffler so assumed seals failing. Cleaned everything! Took apart again today to pressure test the intercooler and charge pipes and all seems well. So a big question, there is a stepped gasket. does it get inverted, then crushed into place? I installed it in the "normal" stepped fashion, held in place as I tightened the two collar clamps. I don't have a lift, so im working on this on ramps. I can only ever hear the "leak" driving/ under load, and then get the drivetrain malfunction. ( Never had codes prior to swap). I removed the turbo off the exhaust manifold and did not remove the manifold from the engine if this matters.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 10:39 PM   #2
Houranimd49
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive, F25 xDrive35i

Garage List
I’m going to try to be somewhat useful here, because I can’t exactly comment on your particular issue with a 535d…

In a situation like this, I would re-trace my steps. I’m sure you’ve already thought of this. I know it’ll suck going through it all again on ramps but it might be the only way. Go over everything once more carefully, visually inspect and taking the proper tool to make sure what’s supposed to be fastened is fastened properly.

If you’re beyond this, I’m thinking the seal could be the issue. I’m unsure how it is to be installed. I don’t want to mislead you.
Appreciate 1