2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Cv joint spindle

09-05-2023, 07:20 AM   #1
Magallon0820
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw 535xi

Cv joint spindle

Good morning ya'll getting ready to replace the cv axle on the 535 I got a cv from trakmotive , I know it's nit the proffered on but I need to save my money for the transmission issues am having lol so for now this is gonna have to do, however the end of the spindle looks idk, the ring doesn't spin or anything I am traumatized because I replaced a cv axle on my Honda accord once and it kept coming out after a few feet, I ended up having to take the ring off the old cv axle , it was a mess so now am a bit scared lol tell me what yall think.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 09:48 PM   #2
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

It looks a little than original. Try to install it. It have to make an audible click for it to stay in place.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2023, 10:28 PM   #3
Houranimd49
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive, F25 xDrive35i

Garage List
I’ve gone through hell and back replacing my axle. I did it 5 (FIVE) times. At the end of the day you’re free to do as you please but heed my warning.

Anything not OEM is inferior. The likelihood of the splines stripping, the axle not fitting, the axle not sitting completely in the differential, (or all of these) is high. Because it all happened to me.

There’s a BMW axle that could be from the 7 series which is probably only a few millimeters longer. I went to a parts rebuilder who was absolutely convinced they gave me the correct part. The axle fit, but there was a 1-2mm gap at the seal causing diff fluid to leak out. No matter how much I banged that axle into the differential, it wouldn’t go in 100%. Finally I gave up and forced that company to figure it out and sure enough, there was a very minimal length discrepancy between my original axle and their rebuilt OE one they gave me.

Another story is when the axle boot tore again and I gave up and bought a Chinese variant. It fit like a glove. After 100 miles I kept getting a traction control light…. The splines sheared off.

And then the last 2 times I had the OE axle rebuilt with aftermarket boots. It ripped 2 times within 3000 miles. Both of them.

Keep in mind each time I changed the axle or took it off, I re-aligned the car at the dealer. Many dollars left my pocket doing this.

So then I finally I Gave up. Round 5. I bought a brand new OE one from some place in Georgia. FCPeuro has it too. Spend the money. Get an alignment. Call it a day.

PS: now the drivers side axle is clicking.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 05:37 PM   #4
Magallon0820
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 bmw 535xi

I ended up not putting it on lol this one cost 75 bucks and fcp euro has them for $100 going to see what return policy olis on these lol
Appreciate 0