2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Software update - Engine and transmission

08-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thumbs up Software update - Engine and transmission

During my coding session with Alex@Alpine he also updated my engine and transmission software to the latest version.

My car is a september 2010 built F10 with the (Euro only) N53 engine. However if you have a early F10 and haven't had the latest software installed I would reccommend you try it

My experience with the updated software is:

-On the first very short drive I noticed that the transmission seemed to shift smoother and faster. The engine felt a bit more agile and responsive.

-On the second, longer, drive I could DEFINITELY feel the engine had changed drastically in it's low to mid range behaviour. It picked up RPM's much quicker and felt a LOT stronger

-Then I noticed that, HEY it sounds different as well... Exhaust had become growlier/more muscular (I also have a Remus sports exhaust that probably enhanced this change in sound). And more induction noise. Not obtrusive, but really nice.

-The engine rev matches much more aggressively on downshifts than before. It's now fun to downshift just for the fun of hearing the engine rev match (my car has the Sports Automatic Transmission and rev matching is happening when in Sports mode and manually downshifting). On the Sports Display (that was one of the options I had coded) the Power meter indicates that during rev matching the engine makes 40hp. For instance if you are coasting in 3rd, the Power and Torque displays are at 0 (obviously), when downshifting to 2nd, the Power and Torque meters make a quick movement and Power peaks at around 40hp for an instant and drops off to 0 instantly as engine braking is applied.

-In Sports + mode the transmission doesn't have kick down function anymore and it doesn't shift up at the redline (similar as later model BMW's). In Sports + you are now completely in control of which gear you want to be in. It doesn't shift down during full throttle acceleration and it doesn't change up at redline. Ideal for driving on mountain roads when you don't want to have a upshift approaching a corner and just reaching the redline before entering the corner etc.

-Steering also feels more connected and has better feedback

At first I thought I might possibly be imagining the change in engine sound and response and it's increased power and acceleration. But after som searching I found some German forums where exactly the same "issues" where reported. It seems BMW has richened the mixture on the N53 engine with the new software so it doesn't run as lean anymore. Because the Germans reported an increase in fuel consumption as well... But I'm more than happy to sacrifice some gas mileage to get the sound and power the car now has

Obviously the US F10's doesn't have the N53 engine, but the transmission updates is great in itself. And it might seem like BMW has done similar software changes for other engine models as well, possibly for the N52 and N55 as well?

This software update totally changed how my car sounds, shifts gear and it has a MAJOR boost in acceleration in the mid range It feels like a different car (or at least it's steering, engine and transmission) and is so much more fun to drive

Last edited by Boss330; 08-28-2013 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Jamese93
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe M-Sport

You know what that's odd but I've had the same experience recently.

I've got a European spec n53 and recently as it was hesitating a bit when pulling off and went in for a check and came back out with some new injectors. A 2011 model.

I guess they had to code in the new injectors and perhaps did a software update at the same time?

It now seems to be much more responsive (injectors were not at all knackered in my view beforehand!), faster although I have to say it does drink more! I've lost a few MPG I reckon.

Conincidence? Maybe, maybe not... Do some Germans say the new software means more power then?

Cheers,

J
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
berkel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 550ix

Wow, I wish I had a mode where I could get rid of the kick down! I don't mind the auto upshift at redline, but if I want to floor it from 3K rpm in 4th gear, then leave it in 4th if i"m in "Manual" mode! My car is a 2013, so I'm assuming I can't get this software update? My searches before indicated there was no way to get rid of the kickdown?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamese93 View Post
You know what that's odd but I've had the same experience recently.

I've got a European spec n53 and recently as it was hesitating a bit when pulling off and went in for a check and came back out with some new injectors. A 2011 model.

I guess they had to code in the new injectors and perhaps did a software update at the same time?

It now seems to be much more responsive (injectors were not at all knackered in my view beforehand!), faster although I have to say it does drink more! I've lost a few MPG I reckon.

Conincidence? Maybe, maybe not... Do some Germans say the new software means more power then?

Cheers,

J
I'm not sure it has more top end power, but it's in the midrange mostly they have added some extra punch (that also coincides with my experience as well).
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Jamese93
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe M-Sport

Yes, mine has more punch and is smoother, not outright power just more tactile, like the difference between cheap fuel and 99 RON, somehow just better and indeed more mid range pickup if you're fanatical like me and notice these things.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkel View Post
Wow, I wish I had a mode where I could get rid of the kick down! I don't mind the auto upshift at redline, but if I want to floor it from 3K rpm in 4th gear, then leave it in 4th if i"m in "Manual" mode! My car is a 2013, so I'm assuming I can't get this software update? My searches before indicated there was no way to get rid of the kickdown?
yes Sport + deletes kick down
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
berkel
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by igom3 View Post
yes Sport + deletes kick down
Did you update your software? I updated from the BMW site to the latest software, but that was just the comm/entertainment. My 2013 550ix definitely still has kick down, even in Sport +, whether in normal, sport, or manual mode for the shifter.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
igom3
Major
Rep

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkel View Post
Did you update your software? I updated from the BMW site to the latest software, but that was just the comm/entertainment. My 2013 550ix definitely still has kick down, even in Sport +, whether in normal, sport, or manual mode for the shifter.
Hmmm.. no updates on my car. Did you try Sport + in manual mode?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
berkel
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm.. no updates on my car. Did you try Sport + in manual mode?
Hi, yes, this is how I drive most of the time.

It was a PITA when logging, since I wanted to go WOT from about 3000 RPM to redline, but if I just mash the throttle it downshifts. I was about to post about it, but searching indicated that this was normal behavior.

If I press down on the throttle most of the way, without hitting the kickdown switch, logging shows I'm getting WOT (which reads as ~81% for whatever reason). I'm used to it now, but if I could disable the kickdown it would be nice...

You have a 535i, right? Anyone with a 550i F10 and SAT that can disable kickdown?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
igom3
Major
Rep

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Yes I have 535i. I was wondering if that can be coded. Where are you located? I live in SD and Michael (board member) coded few things for me recently. I'll ask him if kick down feature can be eliminated in Sport or Sport + mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
berkel
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes I have 535i. I was wondering if that can be coded. Where are you located? I live in SD and Michael (board member) coded few things for me recently. I'll ask him if kick down feature can be eliminated in Sport or Sport + mode.
I'm on the East coast, but I'm keeping an eye out for the next coding event. There have been a few in CT, which wouldn't be too far for me. I'd like to disable a few things and enable a few things, .

Please let me know what you find. Can anyone else disable their kickdown through Sport or Sport+? My previous searches showed that it could not be eliminated, but maybe I didn't dig enough. The fix was to just not press the gas down all the way...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
igom3
Major
Rep

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Ok I will
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 07:37 AM   #13
Michousa04
Rep
Drives: bmw 528 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
During my coding session with Alex@Alpine he also updated my engine and transmission software to the latest version.

My car is a september 2010 built F10 with the (Euro only) N53 engine. However if you have a early F10 and haven't had the latest software installed I would reccommend you try it

-On the first very short drive I noticed that the transmission seemed to shift smoother and faster. The engine felt a bit more agile and responsive.

-On the second, longer, drive I could DEFINITELY feel the engine had changed drastically in it's low to mid range behaviour. It picked up RPM's much quicker and felt a LOT stronger

-Then I noticed that, HEY it sounds different as well... Exhaust had become growlier/more muscular (I also have a Remus sports exhaust that probably enhanced this change in sound). And more induction noise. Not obtrusive, but really nice.

-The engine rev matches much more aggressively on downshifts than before. It's now fun to downshift just for the fun of hearing the engine rev match (my car has the Sports Automatic Transmission and rev matching is happening when in Sports mode and manually downshifting). On the Sports Display (that was one of the options I had coded) the Power meter indicates that during rev matching the engine makes 40hp. For instance if you are coasting in 3rd, the Power and Torque displays are at 0 (obviously), when downshifting to 2nd, the Power and Torque meters make a quick movement and Power peaks at around 40hp for an instant and drops off to 0 instantly as engine braking is applied.

-In Sports + mode the transmission doesn't have kick down function anymore and it doesn't shift up at the redline (similar as later model BMW's). In Sports + you are now completely in control of which gear you want to be in. It doesn't shift down during full throttle acceleration and it doesn't change up at redline. Ideal for driving on mountain roads when you don't want to have a upshift approaching a corner and just reaching the redline before entering the corner etc.

At first I thought I might possibly be imagining the change in engine sound and response and it's increased power and acceleration. But after som searching I found some German forums where exactly the same "issues" where reported. It seems BMW has richened the mixture on the N53 engine with the new software so it doesn't run as lean anymore. Because the Germans reported an increase in fuel consumption as well... But I'm more than happy to sacrifice some gas mileage to get the sound and power the car now has

Obviously the US F10's doesn't have the N53 engine, but the transmission updates is great in itself. And it might seem like BMW has done similar software changes for other engine models as well, possibly for the N52 and N55 as well?

This software update totally changed how my car sounds, shifts gear and it has a MAJOR boost in acceleration in the mid range It feels like a different car (or at least it's steering, engine and transmission) and is so much more fun to drive
hi , do you know which version of psdzdata did you flash the transition and the engine ? and which ECU are those ? thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 05:04 PM   #14
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michousa04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post

hi , do you know which version of psdzdata did you flash the transition and the engine ? and which ECU are those ? thanks
That update was quite some time ago... I have had my software updated after that, last time was around Christmas last year. That last update kept the engine characteristics but was even better for the transmission. Now the full throttle shifting in Sport and Sport+ are much firmer and kicks more.

I have since had my car on two separate dynos and both comes up with between 245-255hp (from what is supposedly a 204hp tune). I also found out that the newer software was supposed to give "allmost 528i hp levels" (the 2010-2011 euro 528i with the same N53 engine and 258hp). Seems to be quite accurate...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 09:18 AM   #15
IBOOSTU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 COMP/21 M5 COMP FROZEN

WHERE can i get this done somewhere in the midwst? chicago to be exact,
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 01:14 PM   #16
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue metallic

How much is a software update if you're out of warranty ?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 04:18 PM   #17
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBOOSTU
WHERE can i get this done somewhere in the midwst? chicago to be exact,
I had it done in Norway by Alex, and he is based in the US. He can do it worldwide. You just need the proper cable and a laptop with internet connection.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #18
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Cool92
At BMW? Or by aftermarket coding?

I think I paid $100 for my coding session a few years back
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 05:25 PM   #19
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330
Quote:

At a bmw dealership .
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 01:37 PM   #20
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330
Quote:

At a bmw dealership .
I have no idea what BMW charges for this in the US
Appreciate 0