2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography The Night Photography Thread

12-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #903
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFREAK View Post
Sounds like a serious setup. I am going to hold off on a printer until I get better and most likely will have them printed professionally for family and friends.
don't forget, even if the image doesn't turn out how you want it, just a simple crop when post processing can turn a boring picture into one that tells a story.

Also, my buddy has on his wall a picture that he took, it was printed to about 46" across, it was taken on an XTi (10 mp i believe) which he cropped. It is flawless at that size, and with a bottom of the line camera and lens.

so don't put too much weight on your equipment. Yes every bit helps, and can make it more enjoyable. But a simple bottom of the line SLR can make some beautiful images.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #904
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Encouraging tp hear. I was just at the camera store at lunch since it is around the corner from work. I picked up a Hoya 9 stop ND for my 70-200 since i like long exposure shots. It is dangerous to have the store this close. I was talking to my sotre rep about dumping my T2i for a 7D since I would still like to have a crop camera for the focal lenght boost they give you and since the 7D is great for those wildlife action shots like DC takes. I tried to get some shots of a Hawk last weekend and they did not tun out well because the camera could not keep focus it seemed. The D60 may be better still than the T2 in this respect and it has a better viewfinder. the T2i viewfinder is basically useless I find. To dark and small. Most of the time I can not tell if anything is in focus. It seems to be a common complaint from users.

I will try to get a pic that I know has some noise in it and see how it turns out at 11x14 or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
don't forget, even if the image doesn't turn out how you want it, just a simple crop when post processing can turn a boring picture into one that tells a story.

Also, my buddy has on his wall a picture that he took, it was printed to about 46" across, it was taken on an XTi (10 mp i believe) which he cropped. It is flawless at that size, and with a bottom of the line camera and lens.

so don't put too much weight on your equipment. Yes every bit helps, and can make it more enjoyable. But a simple bottom of the line SLR can make some beautiful images.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #905
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

the rangefinder on the 7D is impressive, and it has the nice grid lines built in. The autofocus is a vast improvement from most other Canon's.

So i'll never discourage you from getting it

but the sensor and ISO handling is basically the same as on the T2i, so if you don't like it on there, you won't like it on the 7D But again, you can compensate for it by exposing to the right, and in your post processing as well. So depending how you're doing with your post processing at this point in time, there will be more ways to take care of business

what are you using to post process? And are you shooting in RAW/CR2?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #906
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFREAK View Post
Encouraging tp hear. I was just at the camera store at lunch since it is around the corner from work. I picked up a Hoya 9 stop ND for my 70-200 since i like long exposure shots. It is dangerous to have the store this close. I was talking to my sotre rep about dumping my T2i for a 7D since I would still like to have a crop camera for the focal lenght boost they give you and since the 7D is great for those wildlife action shots like DC takes. I tried to get some shots of a Hawk last weekend and they did not tun out well because the camera could not keep focus it seemed. The D60 may be better still than the T2 in this respect and it has a better viewfinder. the T2i viewfinder is basically useless I find. To dark and small. Most of the time I can not tell if anything is in focus. It seems to be a common complaint from users.

I will try to get a pic that I know has some noise in it and see how it turns out at 11x14 or so.
A 7D would be wonderful with your 70-200mm and even better when you add a 1.4x TC.

I shot this with that set up (look at that bokeh!):

Northern Cardinal by dcstep, on Flickr
      12-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #907
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Ya I always shoot RAW+L. I am learning CS5 on my own and know how to apply blurr to the RGB layers to get better noise reduction but it does eliminate some detail even though all the write ups say it doesn't. I am going to try out both DxO as DC suggested and NIK Dfine.

I know the 7D's sensor is not any beter but it does have so many other great features like the virtual Horizion like the 60D if I remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
the rangefinder on the 7D is impressive, and it has the nice grid lines built in. The autofocus is a vast improvement from most other Canon's.

So i'll never discourage you from getting it

but the sensor and ISO handling is basically the same as on the T2i, so if you don't like it on there, you won't like it on the 7D But again, you can compensate for it by exposing to the right, and in your post processing as well. So depending how you're doing with your post processing at this point in time, there will be more ways to take care of business

what are you using to post process? And are you shooting in RAW/CR2?
Agreed that pic has nice bokeh. Some like the smooth bokeh like me, but others really like that nervous Bokeh Zeiss lenses give out. That can be cool to create a different tone and mood, also it seems to enhance that 3D effect you can get from shallow DOF. I saw a few pics done of a cut tree and he shot the remaining 3ft stump sticking out in an angle at 1.8 and with that nervous looking bokeh it really looked like it was jumping out of the picture.

I do plan on getting the 1.4x TC for sure. Will be a must with the Full Frame body I think as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
A 7D would be wonderful with your 70-200mm and even better when you add a 1.4x TC.

I shot this with that set up (look at that bokeh!):
Here are a few sunset shots I was able to get recently. They were pretty rushed. The first 1 was taken after i pulled over on the way home and shot it out of my window with the 15-85 I had for a week. 2nd pic was with kit lens another night. I love that pink hue we have been getting lately here. Must be all that smog. The last 2 pics were with the 70-200 and I just barely got out to an area in time to catch a little bit of the light before it went. I had to rush those and forgot that the camera was in manual on one and it over exposed a lot so i adjusted a little, but when I tried to adjust it anymore I started to get artifacting for some reason. ANyway these are the best I have been able to come up with so far. I wish I had more time to get out there and shoot and travel a little to some nice spots here CA. I want to get up to Big Sur and Mammoth when the spring run off is going on.

IMG_8306 by BMG130, on Flickr

IMG_7970 by BMG130, on Flickr

sunset-12-18-11-2 by BMG130, on Flickr

Sunset-12-18-11 by BMG130, on Flickr

Last edited by HPFREAK; 12-22-2011 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #908
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
HP, I think you'd be better off not worrying so much about noise. I tried looking at those images in larger sizes on Flickr to diagnose what I'm seeing, but you don't post your Originals (which I understand). Still, there seems to be a slight OOF element all over your sunset images. Perhaps it's the PS layers that you mentioned. Could you post one with no post other than RAW conversion and setting of levels? Upload the Original size if you can.

You want big DOF for most scenics and sunsets, so f/11 is probably called for, despite low light. I can hand hold these, but it's probably due to months of shooting my 500mm hand held. Still, I keep the tripod in the trunk of the car and pull it out when sunsets get spectacular and I don't want to cut corners. Tripod, remote release, mirror lock up, low ISO, but still Expose Right.

Dave
      12-23-2011, 12:11 AM   #909
HPFREAK
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Well With those I did not create any layers but I have noticed that AF does not work very well at all no matter the lens it seems. In low light or not it makes no difference. Sometimes it gets it right. It seems to have a hard time with clouds. I looked in all the originals I have and the AF point is dead center of the clouds. Here is the original with Exif attached.

Red clouds by BMG130, on Flickr

Here is a one shot of the bird I took a few days ago. You can see all the data in flickr. The AF point was actually dead center on the birds back. He was moving a bit in the wind as well.

Bird by BMG130, on Flickr

A lot of the shots with AF seem to just not grab the focus right or maybe it is back focusing a tad. I kow if there is little to no contrast it will hunt for focus and then just fail to get it. Total balcks or whites it just gets confused. I have tried various AF focusing modes. Not sure which one works better at this point. I usually leave it on Evaluative metering and have tried setting the AF selection point to automatic and to center point. Anytime I try to get something with less contrast it just has a hard time.

Quote:
HP, I think you'd be better off not worrying so much about noise. I tried looking at those images in larger sizes on Flickr to diagnose what I'm seeing, but you don't post your Originals (which I understand). Still, there seems to be a slight OOF element all over your sunset images. Perhaps it's the PS layers that you mentioned. Could you post one with no post other than RAW conversion and setting of levels? Upload the Original size if you can.

You want big DOF for most scenics and sunsets, so f/11 is probably called for, despite low light. I can hand hold these, but it's probably due to months of shooting my 500mm hand held. Still, I keep the tripod in the trunk of the car and pull it out when sunsets get spectacular and I don't want to cut corners. Tripod, remote release, mirror lock up, low ISO, but still Expose Right.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 01:08 AM   #910
BMWLove86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW 335i Coupe

Chicago Theater

Alpine White BMW 335i coupe (sports package)/M3 Rear spoiler/M3 Side Skirts/M-tech front bumper/Mtech Rear Bumper/Eisenhaus Meisterschaft Race Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #911
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

12-31-2011, 08:57 PM   #912
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
I'm thinking this isn't the Cleveland waterfront, eh?

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #913
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I'm thinking this isn't the Cleveland waterfront, eh?
haha... a very astute observation Mark.
      12-31-2011, 09:08 PM   #914
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
haha... a very astute observation Mark.
Wouldn't be Goa, would it?

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 09:10 PM   #915
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wouldn't be Goa, would it?
Belize.

Next time I visit India I would love to visit Goa though.
      12-31-2011, 09:30 PM   #916
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Belize.

Next time I visit India I would love to visit Goa though.
Ach, that's right. I forgot you were in Belize recently. Looks a bit more tropical than Goa, although Goa also has palm trees. I'd like to see Goa myself someday.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 09:56 PM   #917
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Giant TinkerToY:

Giant tinker toy, outside Earl of Sandwich by dcstep, on Flickr

Hand held, taken with the 5D MkII, the 24-105mm f/4L IS at ISO 6400 and processed in DxO Optics Pro 7.1 with default processing.

For pixel-peepers, click on the image and go to the Original Size at Flickr. I'm amazed at the lack of noise and preservation of detail. It's a combination of the 5D2's capacities and the DxO Optics Pro 7.1 conversion software. It still amazes me.

Dave
      12-31-2011, 10:03 PM   #918
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
The much-maligned 7D isn't half bad at ISO 6400 either:

Michelle checks for text message... by dcstep, on Flickr
      12-31-2011, 10:14 PM   #919
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I'm finding noise can be dealt with if you shoot to the right and have some decent NR software. This is also a 24-105mm at f4 and 1/20 sec. ISO 1600. Not bad for a cheapie T1i. (Which, btw, are now selling at the same cost as a Canon S100 compact.)

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 10:22 PM   #920
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
I'm finding noise can be dealt with if you shoot to the right and have some decent NR software. This is also a 24-105mm at f4 and 1/20 sec. ISO 1600. Not bad for a cheapie T1i. (Which, btw, are now selling at the same cost as a Canon S100 compact.)
What do you use as your NR software?

I use my DxO Optics Pro and nothing else.

Dave
      12-31-2011, 10:32 PM   #921
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What do you use as your NR software?

I use my DxO Optics Pro and nothing else.

Dave
Adobe Camera Raw. I've looked at other software, including the Noise Ninja plugin, but I've been happy enough with ACR that I see no need to switch. If I get a 7D and start shooting a lot of really high ISO stuff, maybe I'll look for something else. But since I get Adobe Creative Suite free through work, it's a bargain that can't be beat.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 10:36 PM   #922
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Adobe Camera Raw. I've looked at other software, including the Noise Ninja plugin, but I've been happy enough with ACR that I see no need to switch. If I get a 7D and start shooting a lot of really high ISO stuff, maybe I'll look for something else. But since I get Adobe Creative Suite free through work, it's a bargain that can't be beat.
Well, the price is right, for sure.

Dave
      12-31-2011, 10:44 PM   #923
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, the price is right, for sure.

Dave
True. Although DxO 7 is only $99 today. And they have those cool filmpacks.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 11:07 PM   #924
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
True. Although DxO 7 is only $99 today. And they have those cool filmpacks.
The Filmpacks are extra, but I love mine. I've got the whole sheebang.

You need a power computer. For large files, you need 64-bit and 8GB or RAM is highly recommend with at least a quad-core processor. A trial is highly recommended before buying, to make sure it'll work on your computer.