2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media Is your steering too heavy and too big and seats too small?

09-17-2015, 07:23 AM   #1
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G11

Is your steering too heavy and too big and seats too small?

I have a 535d and I am not in love with it.

1. Because the steering seems to be stiff as though it is in sport pretty much the whole time rather than softer in anyway.

2. The new nice looking steering wheel is actually a bit big... and clunky

3. The seats they have made smaller. Seats with memory are horrible and thin and really quite stiff.

I am in next week with the dealer who say the steering is normal, but it is noticably firm in parking or maneovering small spaces.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
Jet in Oz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 535D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbitch View Post
I have a 535d and I am not in love with it.

1. Because the steering seems to be stiff as though it is in sport pretty much the whole time rather than softer in anyway.

2. The new nice looking steering wheel is actually a bit big... and clunky

3. The seats they have made smaller. Seats with memory are horrible and thin and really quite stiff.

I am in next week with the dealer who say the steering is normal, but it is noticably firm in parking or maneovering small spaces.

Any thoughts?
Hi Stormbitch. What year is your 535d? I have a 2014 535d LCI and it is nice and firm when it needs to be and easy to turn in tight corners. If yours is an LCI model then there should be a noticeable difference driving in Eco Pro Mode compared to Sport as your EDC should give you less rigid suspension and steering in that setting. Otherwise I'd get a Service Tech to look at your setup and perhaps ask them to run a complimentary software upgrade for you overnight (normally they charge you for this but it's complimentary if you have a fault). The software upgrade could sort out any electronic gremlins you may have with your EDC.

As for the seats, you're more likely to have Sport Seats unless you custom ordered the Comfort Seats. Regardless, they shouldn't feel small and thin, but high at the thigh support and very hugging in the side by the bolsters. Might take a little getting used to but after a while you should like them.

In terms of the steering wheel, the original wheel was big and clunky and I didn't think I'd like the LCI wheel as it had less of a profile and much slimmer. Love it now.
E36 328 Convertible - Montreal Blue
Appreciate 0