2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications PT-CAN2 communication failure and misfire

11-23-2022, 03:46 PM   #1
newbornuser
Rep
Drives: F20 F10

PT-CAN2 communication failure and misfire

Hello everyone,
I expose you today a problem that I have with my BMW F10 528i of 2010, an engine N53B30.
I did a lot of research in French, English and German but I did not manage to find an answer.

As far as the car behavior is concerned, when it is cold, it starts without any problem with a stable rpm but sometimes I hear the injection struggling and then I get an error message like "powertrain, drive moderately". When I restart the car the error message goes away. Once warmed up, the car runs very well. I was able to drive the car for a long time, I didn't feel a hole in the throttle or anything strange but the consumption surprised me. I know that these engines consume a lot of fuel, but the autonomy displayed seemed to be wrong. I put gas after driving a few hours on the highway, the car showed me a range like 500km and after 50km it showed me 400km. I found this really strange.

As for the results obtained from ISTA: there is a permanent message which is "CD9430: DME, PT-CAN2: communication fault", the one which intrigues me the most. On this long journey I could make a reading of the fault codes and I found 4 other messages which appeared "12C008 : Nitrogen-oxide sensor, electric: short circuit", "12C208 : Nitrogen-oxide sensor, linear oxygen sensor: Short circuit", "12C108 : Nitrogen-oxide sensor, binary oxygen sensor: Short circuit", "140501 : Misfire, cylinder 5: injection is cut out
After removing these errors, there was only one error that came back systematically : "CD9430 : DME, PT-CAN2 : communication fault".

After doing my research, I concluded that the NOX sensor was at fault. The fact that I have a "physical" fault on the PT-CAN2, where the NOX sensor is located, the fact that there was also a misfire problem that could have been related to the NOX sensor, the fact that I had 3 error messages concerning short circuits on the NOX sensor and the fact of an increased consumption I said to myself that I had to replace it.

Before that I opened the DME to see if there was something on the circuit, the MOSFETs looked ok and I didn't see any oxidation or burn on the PCB. I then checked the fuse in the trunk and it was fine.

I changed the NOX sensor for a NOXEM 402 but unfortunately nothing happens, I still have the problem "CD9430: DME, PT-CAN2: communication fault". It also happens that I have the error message concerning the misfire "140501: Misfire, cylinder 5: injection is cut out".
I didn't get any more error messages concerning the NOX sensor (for the moment ...).

I think that I will have to change the injector 5 and according to what I read it is only possible to change a bank of 3 injectors. To be sure, I'm going to change the place of injector 5 to see what it is as soon as I have time.

For the moment it's not what concerns me the most even if it's obviously important.
What I find most strange is the message related to the PT-CAN2.
I can't understand at all what could be the cause.
I think that if there was a real physical problem I would have other faulty modules on the BUS but not only this code.
I looked briefly at the connectors on the DME and it looked good.
Similarly, if it was a problem of connectivity at the DME level I think that there would be other modules present on the PT-CAN2 that would be at fault but apparently not.
I also saw that there were two resistors at the end of the PT-CAN which were used to decode the signal but I don't know if this is the case on the PT-CAN2 and I don't know where they are if there are any.

I don't think it's a big problem but unfortunately I didn't find enough resources and it must be a little thing I'm missing.

I hope some kind soul will look into my problem.
Obviously, any help is welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 12:30 PM   #2
newbornuser
Rep
Drives: F20 F10

Hello,
For the PT-CAN 2 I made it disappear by updating the car's ECUs via E-Sys.
I can't see the error on ISTA after deleting it, but I don't know if it was the result of another error (physical or electronic) which could still be there.
In any case, I wanted to let you know if anyone has the same problem and passes by.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 01:59 PM   #3
Hornet-01
Private First Class
Russia
Rep
Drives: BMW 550 xdrive

Garage List
2011 550ix  [9.50]
maybe it’s worth programmatically removing the sensor, flashing Euro2, removing the catalyst... or installing a sports cat
On the topic of misfire, check the ignition coils and spark plugs first.
Appreciate 0