2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Retrofit Side Shades?

01-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Retrofit Side Shades?

Hi,

My 2013 535 X drive M Sport with Executive package didn't come with sun shades which are available as part of the premium package in 2014 LCI (Canada).

I'm not so much interested in the rear shade, but has anyone installed the factory side shades in a F10?

Do I need new door panels as well as the shade parts? Is the window trim (interior of the door) different, or are there just clips inserted into the existing door hardware?

Thanks,

G
      01-22-2014, 03:06 PM   #2
B3owner
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 Hybrid White on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
Hi,

My 2013 535 X drive M Sport with Executive package didn't come with sun shades which are available as part of the premium package in 2014 LCI (Canada).

I'm not so much interested in the rear shade, but has anyone installed the factory side shades in a F10?

Do I need new door panels as well as the shade parts? Is the window trim (interior of the door) different, or are there just clips inserted into the existing door hardware?

Thanks,

G

I am desperately waiting for someone to answer this question as I want to do the same thing
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 03:14 PM   #3
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3owner View Post
I am desperately waiting for someone to answer this question as I want to do the same thing
My kids normally transport in our 2011 Odyssey mini van which has the side shades. We use them constantly on trips to the lake in the summer. My 4 and 7 year olds have complained a bit about the sun hitting then in the face and I'd prefer a factory look to the suction cup add ons and don't want to start 15% tinting the rear windows. Hopefully there is a kit that can accomplish this "mod" at a reasonable cost.

I saved about $6,000 getting a left over 2013 compared to a 2014 LCI with the same equipment, so I don't want to eat most of that up installing a pair of side shades.
      01-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Guys,

I have the rear shades in my car. They look pretty well integrated. I believe you'd likely need a new interior door panel as well as window trim just for the side shades. There are two parts to the side shade. One pulls up out of the door body and clips on some hooks at the top (part of the trim), and the other pulls out of the window's vertical trim to cover the small section of the side window. I'm thinking there's probably a lot of door/trim pieces that would need to be replaced as a result.

The rear shade, itself, which is powered, obviously comes up out of the rear deck. It's activated by a button on the driver's side door. So that seams like it may be the most complicated to retrofit as there's electrical stuff involved, plus I'm not sure if you'd need to replace the door armrest or if cars without the shade would have a place to "cut out" an opening for the button (and whether you could do it cleanly).

I happen to get these not knowing how useful they'd be. But I actually have a 7mo old baby with a rear facing seat, and I'm very glad I got them. But if I wanted this and it wasn't in the car, I think I'd probably just go with the window plunger style shades (unattractive as they are) and be done with it. Seems like a lot of expense to retrofit this.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
nirvana19
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 Lotus Evora GT, 91 M5

Having seen them, you would definitely need new door panels (they're a single piece). It's one of those things that costs BMW not much but would be very expensive to add...I hate to say it but probably not worth the retrofit cost. Probably not a very complex mechanism but you would need new door panels and you would have to mostly disassemble the door panel since they seem to slide in at the top/back (looking at realoem diagrams). A tint may be the better way to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana19 View Post
Having seen them, you would definitely need new door panels (they're a single piece). It's one of those things that costs BMW not much but would be very expensive to add...I hate to say it but probably not worth the retrofit cost. Probably not a very complex mechanism but you would need new door panels and you would have to mostly disassemble the door panel since they seem to slide in at the top/back (looking at realoem diagrams). A tint may be the better way to go.
Yeah - only $550 from the factory, but I'd assume likely more to retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Guys,

I have the rear shades in my car. They look pretty well integrated. I believe you'd likely need a new interior door panel as well as window trim just for the side shades. There are two parts to the side shade. One pulls up out of the door body and clips on some hooks at the top (part of the trim), and the other pulls out of the window's vertical trim to cover the small section of the side window. I'm thinking there's probably a lot of door/trim pieces that would need to be replaced as a result.

The rear shade, itself, which is powered, obviously comes up out of the rear deck. It's activated by a button on the driver's side door. So that seams like it may be the most complicated to retrofit as there's electrical stuff involved, plus I'm not sure if you'd need to replace the door armrest or if cars without the shade would have a place to "cut out" an opening for the button (and whether you could do it cleanly).

I happen to get these not knowing how useful they'd be. But I actually have a 7mo old baby with a rear facing seat, and I'm very glad I got them. But if I wanted this and it wasn't in the car, I think I'd probably just go with the window plunger style shades (unattractive as they are) and be done with it. Seems like a lot of expense to retrofit this.
You may be right about adding a suction cup screen when needed. Next car will have them integrated for sure.
      10-28-2015, 01:06 AM   #8
BMW FOREVER
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i Xdrive

There is no need to replace the door panels. This retrofit has been done before. Please refer to the following link

http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/elebest...rofit-f10.html
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #9
txoid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10

I thought BMW sold ones that use clips. It's a manual process but it would be cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 12:34 PM   #10
txoid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1125633

290 for both rear and side.
http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462
Appreciate 0