2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum ActiveHybrid 5 - Get Extended Warranty or Trade in?

09-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
ak_ka
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 535i xDrive GT

ActiveHybrid 5 - Get Extended Warranty or Trade in?

Hey guys,

So I'm in the situation I was expecting to be in when I got the car just over 2 years ago. Bought a 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 which was a BMW NA Executive demo for a substantial discount(lower than a worse equipped 528i at the time).

Now I'm about to hit 42k miles, and will pass 50k before October 2016 when the new car warranty expires.

The reason I'm thinking of the 2 options is because there is very little data on the ActiveHybrids out there, as there are so few of them on the road. I love the car, and I'd hate to get rid of it. Provides a real good balance of driving dynamics and long drive comfort(as you all would agree ) Once the new car warranty expires(not a CPO), I'm not really sure if these cars are more likely to run up a big repair bill. If it was a 535i, I'd not even be thinking about this. But there's not enough data out there for me to make the decision, so asking for your help!

1. Sell the car and get something else. I went to CarMax yesterday, and got a real lowball offer which basically said they don't wanna buy the car(over 30% below KBB for Dealer Trade-in). I could take it to a BMW dealer and try to see what I can get out of it, but haven't had good luck in the past. I have sold on CL, but it is a lot of work as everyone knows. But for the right price I'd probably do that. And the timing would be now, as there's still a decent amount of the new car warranty left to tempt the right buyer.
In this case, I'd have to look for another car as well, which will likely be a 535/550, or maybe a 640 as I can't see myself going back to a 3/4 series.

2. Get an extended warranty. I've been trying to do some research, and have asked for quotes on TotalCare, and Route 66. Any other options that I should consider? Its weird how both of them are only offered through financial institutes, or finance departments of dealerships. Does anyone know what a good coverage would cost like? I tend to drive a lot, so I'd be looking to get at least cover up to 100k miles if I keep the car.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 04:28 PM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

I suggest you to get rid of it.
I just had my AH5 bought back by BMWNA since it has been having vibration/shaking issues from day one.
The BMW tech told me that AH5 is a rare car and they don't have enough experience with it.
Also, AH5 is a hit and miss, some are great with no issue, some been giving problems. Thanks to BMW for making AH5 as the test mule for their i-series car technology.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 07:40 PM   #3
ak_ka
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
I just had my AH5 bought back by BMWNA since it has been having vibration/shaking issues from day one.
The BMW tech told me that AH5 is a rare car and they don't have enough experience with it.
Also, AH5 is a hit and miss, some are great with no issue, some been giving problems. Thanks to BMW for making AH5 as the test mule for their i-series car technology.
Thanks for your response. Yeah, thats what I got from the Tech as well. If you don't mind, maybe can you PM me what they bought it for? That way I can gauge what to expect at a trade-in.

Also, I noticed you went to the 650 GC. How do you like it compared to the 5 series, given they're both built on the same platform?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #4
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_ka
Quote:
Thanks for your response. Yeah, thats what I got from the Tech as well. If you don't mind, maybe can you PM me what they bought it for? That way I can gauge what to expect at a trade-in.

Also, I noticed you went to the 650 GC. How do you like it compared to the 5 series, given they're both built on the same platform?
No, they didn't buy off my car. BMWNA bought back, or cancel the lease contract and refund all my money.
I only need to pay for the miles that I use.
Well, for current lineup, I only like F36, F10, F06, F15/F16. Since I got 2 F10 already and currently on F15, then my decision was between F36 and F06.
Size wise and interior quality, I prefer F06.
I was thinking F16, but then it has the same interior as the F15.
So, F06 it is, the 4 door really help me able to enjoy the car more, especially with 2 boys.
Don't get me wrong, the F10 is nice, but after 2 of them, I am bored.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 02:18 PM   #5
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Interesting.
My AH5 is in for its first service on Friday.
I have it on a 3 year lease with option to buy out at the end of the three years which will be up in July 2017.
M235i - sold
Activehybrid 5 - sold
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 12:29 PM   #6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Why don't you just hold your car until the second half of 2016 as the new 5 series will launch. There's going to be a new Plugin Hybrid 5 series as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 04:59 PM   #7
ak_ka
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all your replies guys.
Unfortunately, all of those are out the window now. I got into an accident this morning, and its my hunch that the car will be totaled Severe damage to the front.
Just got home after getting a rental, going through urgent care, and now the long dread of insurance claim begins.

I so didn't wanna make that decision so soon
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 02:29 AM   #8
BMW FOREVER
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i Xdrive

Do you have any pics of the damage?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 08:25 AM   #9
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_ka
Unfortunately, all of those are out the window now. I got into an accident this morning, and its my hunch that the car will be totaled Severe damage to the front.
Just got home after getting a rental, going through urgent care, and now the long dread of insurance claim begins.

I so didn't wanna make that decision so soon
Ouch, glad you are ok.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #10
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_ka View Post

Glad you've returned safe. Since I've joined USAA, my days of wrestling with All State, State Farm, etc... insurance claims are over. If you can get into USAA, then do it even if it costs a little more.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 12:00 PM   #11
ak_ka
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW FOREVER View Post
Do you have any pics of the damage?
I do, but having trouble resizing it for here. Will post some in a bit.
I know though that there is engine, A/C, ABS, radiator, bumper, headlight damage. Also, very likely the frame is bent too.

Quote:
Ouch, glad you are ok.
Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263 View Post
Glad you've returned safe. Since I've joined USAA, my days of wrestling with All State, State Farm, etc... insurance claims are over. If you can get into USAA, then do it even if it costs a little more.
Interesting. I'll look them up. I thought they were only for Veterans though? I know someone who had issues with AAA as well, so figured AllState was the least bad option. We'll see.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #12
Lieutenant
Rep

It's not veterans only, it's all military and their families so just find someone in your family tree to get you in. I hate Allstate. I had to deal with Allstate because someone backed their truck into my parked car at a gas station. The Allstate agent had the balls to say it was my fault for not warning the truck driver. Felt like I was being hustled the whole time.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 12:29 PM   #13
ak_ka
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263 View Post
It's not veterans only, it's all military and their families so just find someone in your family tree to get you in. I hate Allstate. I had to deal with Allstate because someone backed their truck into my parked car at a gas station. The Allstate agent had the balls to say it was my fault for not warning the truck driver. Felt like I was being hustled the whole time.
Are you serious! That's just plain ridiculous!
I'm sure its not going to be fun for me either, given the other driver didn't have a license, but had insurance! Leads me to believe that other insurance company is probably shady.

Aah, thats why I don't qualify
Appreciate 0