2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Replace Transmission Oil?

05-26-2016, 05:49 PM   #1
G-Bus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10

Replace Transmission Oil?

Hey Guys,

Was wondering what's the pulse on this. BMW says all their transmissions/differentials are filled with lifelong oil and we all know that's bullshit.

ZF, the make of our transmissions have a DIY guide on YouTube to show you how to replace oil in the transmission.

My car just hit 60k Miles and I was wondering should I replace it or not? I heard horror stories with cars over 120k miles that when replaced the tranny starts slipping so I am not to sure.

Most people around me also tell me not to touch it. Its a 500$ deal to replace it as the filter is in the oil pan and it takes about 8 quarts of oil that's 25$/quart.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
EV0LVE
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i SG

A ZF authorized shop told me that the transmission needs servicing every 50,000 miles.

At some point the fluid will break down and loose its ability to lubricate the transmission.

Replacing the fluid and pan/filter requires that the fluid be added at certain temperature with the car being level. I strongly suggest taking it to a knowledgeable shop or dealer to get serviced.

Find out how much the parts and fluid are and add at least 2 hours of labor rate, that will give you a good estimate on cost. It shouldn't take more than 4 hours to do it.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0