2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 535i and Snow

12-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
flatoutstud
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport 6 Speed

535i and Snow

The car is just a week old and got caught in some light snow. I should have got the X drive. It does not move well at all in the snow. (Much better than my e60 M5 though) Overall I'm very happy with the car but it needs some minor tweaks. Below is the first phase of mods currently planned:

-Gloss black kidney grills
-Gloss black roof and sunroof wrap
-35% tint
-HR Springs
-Rear spoiler painted white
-N55 stage 1

The car is very smooth. Almost too smooth and too quiet. It may need an exhaust and intake but will hold off for now. (or I can just pump some engine noise into the speakerds...lol) Also, may need a short shifter.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

You don't really need X drive, but you should get some winter wheels/tires for snow use. In any event, you can't get Xdrive with a manual transmission. I drove a 540 with rear wheel drive for 9 years here in Colorado and was only slowed by deep snow - not enough clearance. And 4WD wouldn't have helped with that.

I drove my 550 six speed in the snow today (with a winter wheel set up), and it did very well. Have fun!

Last edited by Boulder Bill; 12-27-2012 at 12:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Bill View Post
You don't really need X drive, but you should get some winter wheels/tires for snow use. I drove a 540 with rear wheel drive for 9 years here in Colorado and was only slowed by deep snow - not enough clearance. And 4WD wouldn't have helped with that.

I drove my 550 six speed in the snow today and it did very well. Have fun!
Concur on that. I had an e92 M3 which I drove in snow for a whole season using Dunlop 3D Winter tires without much issue. Currently have a F10 550i and Michelin Pilot AS tires and was able to get around in the most recent snow we had here in Seattle w/out much difficulty. Traction Control Off setting helped a lot too. But didn't need X-drive although like you I wondered too IF I should have checked that box when I purchased in Aug too. Winter tires/wheels are the best option...in fact in Germany they are mandated in order to even drive in the winter season. Get a set and you should be fine.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatoutstud View Post

The car is very smooth. Almost too smooth and too quiet. It may need an exhaust and intake but will hold off for now. (or I can just pump some engine noise into the speakerds...lol) Also, may need a short shifter.
Agree.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
I should have got the X drive. It does not move well at all in the snow.
You live and learn I guess. In areas such that doesnt get a lot of snow too often, such as NJ, all you need is AWD and a good set of all season tires. If you have AWD, you can always add snow tires easily if you feel the need, but you have a RWD, you cannot add AWD if you want more traction.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

+1 for winter tires. I had an e90 RWD when it snowed really bad 2yrs ago, it rolled around like a tank on Blizzak winter tires. If you had xDrive with the same tires you have now, you'll stop just like any RWD car. So xDrive with standard summer tires = false confidence in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
So xDrive with standard summer tires = false confidence in the winter.
Why would anyone drive around with X-drive and summer tires in the snow?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Why would anyone drive around with X-drive and summer tires in the snow?
I've asked those people the exact same thing. Not just xDrive, but AWD cars like EVOs MR that come with summer tires and they don't switch them out in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Anything under 40 deg F, summer tires' rubber will be as hard as a rock, almost zero traction.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You live and learn I guess. In areas such that doesnt get a lot of snow too often, such as NJ, all you need is AWD and a good set of all season tires. If you have AWD, you can always add snow tires easily if you feel the need, but you have a RWD, you cannot add AWD if you want more traction.
The all seasons will work I suppose, but I see it as kind of the worst of both worlds. You lose the performance of the summer tires and larger wheels AND you lose the superior performance of winter wheels equipped with snow tires. An extra set of wheels/tires is not that expensive (and all your rubber lasts longer) and the cost to change them out twice a year is insignificant. November to March, I run the winter wheels. In October and April, I sometimes don't run at all.

Just my $.02.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

Quote:
The all seasons will work I suppose, but I see it as kind of the worst of both worlds. You lose the performance of the summer tires and larger wheels AND you lose the superior performance of winter wheels equipped with snow tires. An extra set of wheels/tires is not that expensive (and all your rubber lasts longer) and the cost to change them out twice a year is insignificant. November to March, I run the winter wheels. In October and April, I sometimes don't run at all.

Just my $.02.
I do the same. My thought process is that each set wears at the same rate a single set would. Also, I believe the straight summers will perform much better in the non-winter season, and bespoke winters have a lot more stopping capability.

Lastly, this gives my wife something to bitch about when I'm taking up more room in the barn and spending time and money on my mistress.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

You don't need xdrive for what looks like 1 cm of snow! If you have trouble, it's your tires that suck.

People (me included) are driving all over the mountain with rear wheel drive BMWs and as much as 10 inches of snow here in Norway.

Quote:
The car is just a week old and got caught in some light snow. I should have got the X drive. It does not move well at all in the snow. (Much better than my e60 M5 though) Overall I'm very happy with the car but it needs some minor tweaks. Below is the first phase of mods currently planned:

-Gloss black kidney grills
-Gloss black roof and sunroof wrap
-35% tint
-HR Springs
-Rear spoiler painted white
-N55 stage 1

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If rear wheel drive works for winter driving in Norway AND Colorado, it just works.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #14
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Just my $.02.
Well, 90% of owners here in the northeast disagree with you. For every 10 BMW here, 9 are X-drives. The convenience of all season out weights the performance disadvantage for most BMW owners, unless you track your car. The cost of the rims, snow tires and the cost of mounting 2 times a years is a big turn off for most people. In a 4 year period, we are talking about $2000 or so. That happens to be about the cost of the AWD and you get half of that $2000 back when you trade in your X-drive after 4 years.
AWD is not only for snow, its handle rain stroms and puddles better than RWD as well. AWD also provide more traction off the line and thru high speed turns.
I have owned AWD with all season and RWD cars with snow, they both have their advantage and disadvantages. RWD with snow will stop better in the snow, but AWD with all season climb hills better in the snow and accelarate better. With a RWD, if one gets the two rear wheel stuck, you are out of luck, with AWD, you still have the front wheels to pull get you out of trouble. AWD with snow would be ideal.
In citys with mild winters, somedays it snows and the next it can be up to 50 degrees F. If you are caught with snow tires in warm weather or summer tires in cold weather, it is worst than driving with all seasons.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #15
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

Quote:
If rear wheel drive works for winter driving in Norway AND Colorado, it just works.
Agree, if you have trouble with it, you either are a lousy driver or have crappy wheels. It's most likely the wheels. Driving on snow is easy and just pure fun for most part.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #16
flatoutstud
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M-Sport 6 Speed

Thx guys. I never had a car with snow tires. I guess snow tires will have to be part of the phase 1 of upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #17
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, 90% of owners here in the northeast disagree with you. For every 10 BMW here, 9 are X-drives. The convenience of all season out weights the performance disadvantage for most BMW owners, unless you track your car. The cost of the rims, snow tires and the cost of mounting 2 times a years is a big turn off for most people. In a 4 year period, we are talking about $2000 or so. That happens to be about the cost of the AWD and you get half of that $2000 back when you trade in your X-drive after 4 years.
AWD is not only for snow, its handle rain stroms and puddles better than RWD as well. AWD also provide more traction off the line and thru high speed turns.
I have owned AWD with all season and RWD cars with snow, they both have their advantage and disadvantages. RWD with snow will stop better in the snow, but AWD with all season climb hills better in the snow and accelarate better. With a RWD, if one gets the two rear wheel stuck, you are out of luck, with AWD, you still have the front wheels to pull get you out of trouble. AWD with snow would be ideal.
In citys with mild winters, somedays it snows and the next it can be up to 50 degrees F. If you are caught with snow tires in warm weather or summer tires in cold weather, it is worst than driving with all seasons.
Not sure where your statistics come from, but certainly many dealers here stock 535s with X-drive because the price point sells well and many people equate AWD with adverse weather. Having grown up in Maine, I have familiarity with NE driving - ugh. I have also driven both AWD drive and RWD sedans in adverse weather, and prefer the RWD driving experience over all. But you are absolutely right I think about the advantages of AWD in snow - an icy parking garage ramp is no fun with RWD. I simply disagree that AWD delivers any advantage in warm/wet weather - sounds like Quattro marketing. But I confess, we don't get much rain in the west compared to Vacationland.

I don't think snows are much different in feel from many all seasons, and summer tires are vastly superior here for 7-8 months of the year. As to cost, $20 to switch them out typically (unless you go to the dealer). To me, the cost of switching to the best tool is insignificant. I tend to buy cars and keep them quite a while (I drove a RWD E39 540 for 9 years). The extra set of wheels is appealing on resale (or so the guy who bought my car advised).

Anyway, no right answer I guess, only opinions. I love the feel of the summer tires and the security of stopping and control with winter tires. The OP certainly has some reasonable information to consider.

Bill

Last edited by Boulder Bill; 12-27-2012 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 02:51 AM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:

Just my $.02.
Similar view here, I see All Season tires as "the jack of all trades, master of none", so compromised for most of the year.

I can see the idea of xDrive and All Seasons being attractive, but a compromised BMW from my perspective. Then there is the weight penalty, something like an extra 75kgs over the front wheels and the increase in fuel consumption.

I'm not sure I'd want all those compromises in a BMW, when for most of the driving xDrive is not really necessary, or a clear advantage.

Happy with RWD and summer/winter tires here in the Highlands of Scotland. Not that we've had the xDrive choice in the UK, unless using X-series models. The new F30 320i xDrive is our first sedan for many years with xDrive option.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #19
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Not sure where your statistics come from, but certainly many dealers here stock 535s with X-drive because the price point sells well and many people equate AWD with adverse weather.

Bill
Not really statistics, more of a observation. Why do you think you got your 550i RWD from a new england dealer for such a good price and they are willing to ship it across the country for you free of charge. Its because RWD BMW simply do not sell well here. Chances are, your 550i RWD was ordered by someone who change their mind about buying a RWD car in New England and the dealer is stuck with it and want to get rid of it fast before the snow hits the region. RWD sell as well convertibles in New England during winter
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #20
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not really statistics, more of a observation. Why do you think you got your 550i RWD from a new england dealer for such a good price and they are willing to ship it across the country for you free of charge. Its because RWD BMW simply do not sell well here. Chances are, your 550i RWD was ordered by someone who change their mind about buying a RWD car in New England and the dealer is stuck with it and want to get rid of it fast before the snow hits the region. RWD sell as well convertibles in New England during winter
LOL. Actually, the fellow from your home state found the seats to be uncomfortable (even with the luxury seating package!). Enjoy your car in the snow and the new year. And prepare to watch the Patriots go down in flames at Mile High.
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #21
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
LOL. Actually, the fellow from your home state found the seats to be uncomfortable (even with the luxury seating package!). Enjoy your car in the snow and the new year. And prepare to watch the Patriots go down in flames at Mile High.
The fact that the dealer told you the previous owner found the luxury seating package to be uncomfortable tells me that your dealer was not telling you the turth. Looking at MA's biggest BMW dealer's website, Herb Chamber BMW, they have over a 100 F10 in stock and not one of them is RWD, that should tell you something.
Somehow, I dont think Manning and the Broncos will even get to the AFC title game. Their 11 game winning streaks consist of beating mostly bad teams and we all know that the Broncos already lost their head to head game with the Patriots earlier in the year. I would love to see another Brady Manning matchup, but I dont think it will happen this year. There is nothing I like to see more than Andrew Luck beating out Manning to the tiltle game.

Last edited by The X Men; 12-28-2012 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #22
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No, he was truthful. The same customer then returned a 3 series with less than 500 miles roughly a month later. Just weird. No reason to lie; the car is flawless. The stock of Herb Chambers tells me only what the customers it services like to buy, not anything more. It hardly bears on the issues raised in this thread. Coming from Maine, living in Colorado and having lived in Boston many years ago, I would never glean much insight or draw any intelligent conclusions from what the fine folks in Massachusetts choose to do or spend their money on.

As to the Broncos, we shall see. It has been many years since Mr. Brady won a Super Bowl.
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0