2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Is BMW Color Blind?

11-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Is BMW Color Blind?

Why does BMW offer no bright color options?

Are they color blind at BMW?

Are they dealing with chronic depression across the pond?

Why 5 different blacks, 2 greys, 2 whites, 2 silvers, 3 browns and 1 graphite?

Why no red, yellow, green, or brighter blues?

Isn't this a type of sports car?

Aren't sports cars supposed to be bright, and sporty looking?

The color options are more appropriate for the livery business, not sports cars.

Please BMW, at least bring a non-metallic red to the 5-series, I am begging you.

I will even by the M-Sport Line, if you offer a non-metallic red.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
tpipta
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

If having an ostentatious color is your gig, it's never more than an Individual order away.

http://www.bimmerpost.com/bmwindividual/
      11-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Sorry didn't mean to offend anyone, and I don't think having a bright color necessarily has to be ostentatious.

I am talking about a simple inexpensive non-metallic red.

Even in BMWs Individual color selections there are no bright colors.

Unless you consider Moonstone an ostentatiously bright color.

Why not offer, an Imola Yellow, or a Santorini blue.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2013/08/25/bm...orini-blue-19/
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

I think they consider the 5 and 7 series too conservative for major pigment. It's a regrettable attitude. Even a green -- something that has been around from time to time in the past -- or an ice blue would be a relief from this monochromatic palette. Suffice it to say, if BMW had to depend on paint color choices to sell its cars, it would be in big trouble.

OK, having said all that, who does better? Certainly not Mercedes. Audi, maybe, but they're getting more stuffy about color as the years go by, too. Maybe it's really what the market wants.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
Keyser Soze
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

Blame consumers, not BMW. Few ordered or bought the bolder colors of years ago so now if you want one, you pay the extra $5k for it. They'll do more than what's on the individual pallete and there is an Santorini F10 on Bimmerf3st.com
      11-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I think Audi is worse than BMW about color choices now.

I think, even though, customers are choosing mostly monochromatic color schemes. They should make at least one bright color option available for those that want it. Maybe just include it on the M-Sport line.

However, I think they should across the board ,on all their cars, offer a non-metallic red, non-metallic white, and non-metallic black. I can't imagine that that color wouldn't sell.

Especially, offered at the base price for people who are on a tight budget, and don't want the perfect funeral car.

Can you order colors, in the BMW individual composition, other than the ones found on the website?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
Keyser Soze
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

yep, it just costs more money.....there are a few imola red F10's out there and a few light blue M3's and yellow cars as well............but when you turn it in it may sit there for a "while":

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
      11-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

Just a guess, but since so many BMW are leased these days (at least in Canada), I'd guess the dealers want to be sure they are getting back cars they can easily sell. I'd love a British Racing Green F10.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
M2COMP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5, 2013 550xi, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Lover View Post
Sorry didn't mean to offend anyone, and I don't think having a bright color necessarily has to be ostentatious.

+1
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Where can you see these special color options available for F10?

I called my dealer, and they had no idea about any other colors that aren't listed on the web.

Do you have to pay the $6100 to get access to those colors, or can you just order the color by itself at a lesser cost?

I am doing ED, if that matters.

P.S. I would also like to see a British racing green.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
tpipta
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Certainly not offending me or anyone else. Bright bold colors are generally reserved for more exotic vehicles that do carry the look at me vibe. BMW has intentionally limited the production colors to those that meet the broadest spectrum of consumers.

Here's the closest to BRG I think you're going to find - Brewster Green: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892833

Quote:

11-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpipta View Post
Certainly not offending me or anyone else. Bright bold colors are generally reserved for more exotic vehicles that do carry the look at me vibe. BMW has intentionally limited the production colors to those that meet the broadest spectrum of consumers.

Here's the closest to BRG I think you're going to find - Brewster Green: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892833
I have been perusing the colors, from the link you sent me all day, and drooling over some of them. I found the Brewster Green a few hours ago.

I also, like the Aegean Blue Metallic: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544135

However, a lot of these colors are on older cars, or different models than what I am considering.

How do you know what colors are available, and at what cost. I don't have the budget for a $5,000 dollar paint job.

Can you order some colors at a lower cost, and what paints are available for the specific car I want to order. I am getting 2014 F10 535dx.

I also love the Laguna Seca Blue: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324847

Last edited by Diesel_Lover; 11-11-2013 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

They aren't color blind. They spend money on focus groups and do market research to determine what it's customers want. Of course they'll paint the car whatever color you want it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #14
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Quote:
Why does BMW offer no bright color options?

Are they color blind at BMW?

Are they dealing with chronic depression across the pond?

Why 5 different blacks, 2 greys, 2 whites, 2 silvers, 3 browns and 1 graphite?

Why no red, yellow, green, or brighter blues?

Isn't this a type of sports car?

Aren't sports cars supposed to be bright, and sporty looking?

The color options are more appropriate for the livery business, not sports cars.

Please BMW, at least bring a non-metallic red to the 5-series, I am begging you.

I will even by the M-Sport Line, if you offer a non-metallic red.
+1 I thought exactly the same. Have since seen an Imola red F10 and it was beautiful. Saw it just after I ordered my Space Grey, else I would have had it!!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

My guess is that any color other than the 'stock' ones will cost you a fair amount of money. The vehicle likely ends up getting painted by hand, or, someone has to spend lots of time swapping in a new color to the stock painting robots, which would slow the whole production line down, which I don't think happens. Maybe they have a special room where they have a paint robot, but if you've ever seen either a video or been on a factory tour, you'd realize the investment they have in their paint line is substantial and almost entirely automated. Along the production line, after painting, they remove the doors, and they get mated back up with the vehicle later on...pulling one out to do a special color means a lot of extra manual labor, and that takes highly skilled people and extra time...you will pay for it!

If you've never seen it, the paint robots can switch color in seconds - the paint head pops off the arm, and it picks up the next, required head, so it can paint any stock color on any vehicle (and it doesn't matter which body style, either) as it comes in...the computer keeps track of what's needed and paints each perfectly. As a result, each car through could easily be a different stock color, and a different body style...they're al sequenced and controlled by the computer based on what was ordered and when, but it only has enough heads for the stock colors.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #16
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
My guess is that any color other than the 'stock' ones will cost you a fair amount of money. The vehicle likely ends up getting painted by hand, or, someone has to spend lots of time swapping in a new color to the stock painting robots, which would slow the whole production line down, which I don't think happens. Maybe they have a special room where they have a paint robot, but if you've ever seen either a video or been on a factory tour, you'd realize the investment they have in their paint line is substantial and almost entirely automated. Along the production line, after painting, they remove the doors, and they get mated back up with the vehicle later on...pulling one out to do a special color means a lot of extra manual labor, and that takes highly skilled people and extra time...you will pay for it!

If you've never seen it, the paint robots can switch color in seconds - the paint head pops off the arm, and it picks up the next, required head, so it can paint any stock color on any vehicle (and it doesn't matter which body style, either) as it comes in...the computer keeps track of what's needed and paints each perfectly. As a result, each car through could easily be a different stock color, and a different body style...they're al sequenced and controlled by the computer based on what was ordered and when, but it only has enough heads for the stock colors.
It's really interesting and fun to see -- but I think the point is, it would work with other colors too.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #17
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

What are the Prices and where are the available colors, not on website, for 2014 F10?

I am sure you can’t paint it any color you want; there has to be some color wheel someplace.

I asked my dealer, and they said, that the only colors they are aware of are on the website.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #18
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
They aren't color blind. They spend money on focus groups and do market research to determine what it's customers want. Of course they'll paint the car whatever color you want it.
From the movie Big with Tom Hanks

What's a marketing report!

I don't get it!

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #19
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
It's really interesting and fun to see -- but I think the point is, it would work with other colors too.
Not sure how many different heads their painting robot can support, but it's not only the amount of heads, it's the supply lines and paint reservoirs they have room for, too.

It wouldn't be hard to swap a color, but that's mostly a marketing decision. If there were enough demand, it would likely happen.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #20
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Not sure how many different heads their painting robot can support, but it's not only the amount of heads, it's the supply lines and paint reservoirs they have room for, too.

It wouldn't be hard to swap a color, but that's mostly a marketing decision. If there were enough demand, it would likely happen.
They probably have a special paint section with a limited amount of special paints called the Individual Composition paint room, and the car is separated out at paint time, and sent down a different assembly line.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #21
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

What are you talking about. You can get whatever color you want.
Attached Images

11-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #22
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIMAX View Post
Just a guess, but since so many BMW are leased these days (at least in Canada), I'd guess the dealers want to be sure they are getting back cars they can easily sell. I'd love a British Racing Green F10.
Dealers don't get the cars back. While they are returned there, they go do dealer auctions where they are bid on by BMW dealers and others.