2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Ipad Travel & comfort system

01-28-2015, 04:28 AM   #1
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Ipad Travel & comfort system

Hi folks, any feedback on the IPad Travel & comfort system mount, is it worth the price tag (200+ euros), I am thinking of getting one!

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 08:01 AM   #2
Dante269
Hard to be Humble
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60-545 & F10-550

cant the passengers just hold the device?
      01-28-2015, 09:05 AM   #3
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

The passenger in question is my 7 month old son on a rear facing baby seat, I tried our DVD system from BMW when mounted in the back seat head rest I had to drag the cable around the baby seat as the plug is in between the 2 front seats, plus the tilting angle is limited when trying to have it facing down toward the baby, with the iPad no cables as the battery last for long and if not wrong great flexibility when setting up the angle!
My other two kids 9 and 6 use the I pad with no mount, in fact no always used only for long journeys!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 09:38 AM   #4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

I think BMW is ripping people off with the pricing. They could easily sell it for $50 and still make a profit. But you seriously have no other choice except for ugly universal mounts.

So I guess it's up to you on how much you value aesthetics.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 02:41 PM   #5
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
The passenger in question is my 7 month old son on a rear facing baby seat, I tried our DVD system from BMW when mounted in the back seat head rest I had to drag the cable around the baby seat as the plug is in between the 2 front seats, plus the tilting angle is limited when trying to have it facing down toward the baby, with the iPad no cables as the battery last for long and if not wrong great flexibility when setting up the angle!
My other two kids 9 and 6 use the I pad with no mount, in fact no always used only for long journeys!
How does that mount help a 7 month old in a rear facing car seat?
      01-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #6
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

The pricing is ridiculous, but the quality is top notch and I do really enjoy using the coat hanger. The stock hanger hook causes the jacket to hit my arm as I drive, which is extremely irritating.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 09:04 PM   #7
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Look on eBay or Amazon for options. We bought a $25 tablet mount for our 1.5 y/o son (~1 at the time) - it's fabric and straps to the headrest. Works well, much cheaper, and can be put or pulled off within about 5 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 02:29 AM   #8
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
How does that mount help a 7 month old in a rear facing car seat?
A- It is to be mounted on the back seat head rest facing forward, not on my or passenger front seat back rest facing back ward!

B- Because it is the back seat head rest the mount for IPad have more manoeuvre when trying to angle the screen to a lower angle, not possible with the DVD system designed for the font seat head rest only!

C – Our 1st generation iPads still have an amazing battery life for video, so no need for power cables stretching from the top of the back seat head rest to the power connection between the 2 front seats!

I agree the price is quite high for I am trying to do, hence tying to see if further feedback to back up the price or not! I guess it is for a 1st generation iPad hence not a lot of options in the market!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 02:31 AM   #9
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM View Post
The pricing is ridiculous, but the quality is top notch and I do really enjoy using the coat hanger. The stock hanger hook causes the jacket to hit my arm as I drive, which is extremely irritating.
I guess the price is down to having the other options like coat hanger and table and all!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 02:33 AM   #10
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Look on eBay or Amazon for options. We bought a $25 tablet mount for our 1.5 y/o son (~1 at the time) - it's fabric and straps to the headrest. Works well, much cheaper, and can be put or pulled off within about 5 seconds.
One option for sure as this is a solution for a limited period, i.e. in no time he be able to seat facing forward and hold the iPad or settle for DVD screen!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #11
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Quote:
I guess the price is down to having the other options like coat hanger and table and all!
In fairness to BMW, a low production run of quality goods is rarely cheap. I got both the coat hanger and the hook, and although I have only had a need to use the hanger so far, I would buy it all again. I like it that much!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 09:17 AM   #12
Tdubyu
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i

Garage List
2012 535I  [0.00]
2012 BMW/535i  [0.00]
Hell All,

Here is a google search on BMW iPad mounts....
https://www.google.com/search?q=bmw+...m=122&ie=UTF-8.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #13
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
A- It is to be mounted on the back seat head rest facing forward, not on my or passenger front seat back rest facing back ward!

B- Because it is the back seat head rest the mount for IPad have more manoeuvre when trying to angle the screen to a lower angle, not possible with the DVD system designed for the font seat head rest only!

C – Our 1st generation iPads still have an amazing battery life for video, so no need for power cables stretching from the top of the back seat head rest to the power connection between the 2 front seats!

I agree the price is quite high for I am trying to do, hence tying to see if further feedback to back up the price or not! I guess it is for a 1st generation iPad hence not a lot of options in the market!
OK, I see what you are trying to do now. Didn't look that way from the supplied picture.

Not to lecture, but I see couple of problems. If the iPad isn't secure and you get rear ended, have you considered where the iPad might end up? Possibly in your 7 month old's face. Secondly, does a 7 month old really need to be entertained by video while riding in the car?

We may be in the minority but we followed the American Paediatric Society recommendations of no video before age 2. In fact our kids watch about 4 hours a week (on weekends only) and my 8 year old now reads about 500 - 600 pages of books a week - at the top of her class. Our 5 year old son listens to books being read to him but hasn't started to read yet.

Video and video games are good too I guess, just not according to the experts.
      01-29-2015, 11:51 AM   #14
Dante269
Hard to be Humble
United_States
Rep

http://www.proclipusa.com/mounts/headrest-mounts
      01-29-2015, 11:53 AM   #15
Dante269
Hard to be Humble
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK, I see what you are trying to do now. Didn't look that way from the supplied picture.

Not to lecture, but I see couple of problems. If the iPad isn't secure and you get rear ended, have you considered where the iPad might end up? Possibly in your 7 month old's face. Secondly, does a 7 month old really need to be entertained by video while riding in the car?

We may be in the minority but we followed the American Paediatric Society recommendations of no video before age 2. In fact our kids watch about 4 hours a week (on weekends only) and my 8 year old now reads about 500 - 600 pages of books a week - at the top of her class. Our 5 year old son listens to books being read to him but hasn't started to read yet.

01-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #16
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante269 View Post
Crash tested by whom is my question.
      01-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #17
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
OK, I see what you are trying to do now.

I agree and we follow similar "restrictions" in our family (plus my kids just happen to love reading books), but just wanted to give you a warning. It's ages 10 and up when their social life starts relying on gadgets for communication and also games they will share with friends. Also they use laptops for school work and online document sharing, that's when you'll be up for tougher battle to maintain this.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 12:34 PM   #18
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:

I am fully with you on this one, in fact videos , games only when doing long road trips the rule I have with my kids, I have 2 DVD systems parked and only used for long road trips like crossing Ireland from the west to Dublin.
Making sure our baby sleeps throughout the journey is not a guaranty with a 9 and 6 year old also in the back! What is also difficult is the fact we planning for our baby to use the backward facing position for longer than we did with our other 2 kids, it is gradually becoming law here in Europe, due to how weak neck support they have with frontal collisions! with this position the baby have no view of us in the front and in a long journey the video is used to buy some time and only that! he tend to sleep most of the journey!

The other fact why I am willing to go the BMW gear is to do with the point you raised in a collision ipad may become a dangerous flying object, I went few years back for the BMW DVD system not a cheap one for sure purely down to how secure to the car it is once mounted!
It is also found that in the UK, kids are responsible to many collision due to parents loosing focus on the road!

Last edited by martin mustang; 01-29-2015 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 09:24 PM   #19
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:

So what exactly is a 7 month old doing in the car seat that's more intellectually stimulating? Honestly, this is where I think society has gone a bit too "high horse."

Our son loves watching his Sesame Street "Elmo" videos in the car. He also has a handful of other educational videos that teach numbers, alphabet, songs, animals, etc. I've noticed a few things since he's started this routine:

1. His attention span is incredible for his age. These videos can be 45 minutes long (some longer), and he's really learned to sit an pay attention to a story-line (whether video, book, or some form of instruction) for an extended period of time. Quite unusual for his age.

2. He's learned a number of things from it - animal names and sounds, places, things, expressions, humor, etc. It's not a substitute, obviously, for teaching these things "conventionally," but I think it's a mistake to believe there's no educational value from videos.

Assuming you're not parking kids in front of nonsense videos, there's a ton of great content out there that provides quality education. Given the option of a kid twiddling his thumbs, or flicking around rattles attached to his car-seat, I think educational videos are a GREAT option for car rides.

Our son is now around 1.5 years old, and we've noticed zero sign of "negative" impact of this. He's completely engaged with all sorts of toys, playing outside, physical activities, puzzles, books, etc - and he also understands videos, characters, and concepts they teach. We've also introduced him to using electronics. He understands basic navigation gestures on a tablet now, flicking through pictures, the concept of "icons" that perform actions, etc. Considering the world we live in, teaching these skills is almost as critical, in my opinion, as basic motor / spacial skills.

Reading books is also, consequently, one of his favorite things to do - literally we can sit for an hour straight reading through book after book. Puzzles alike. So it would be hard to argue that videos can somehow "spoil" children or make them uninterested in other forms of education/stimulation.

My point being, there's tangible value in the RIGHT video content - especially where the time is otherwise wasted (or near wasted) when the kid is sitting strapped into a car seat with nothing of value to otherwise do. I also think it's an unavoidable medium in today's society. Like many others in the corporate world, I spend hours behind a screen each day - writing emails, working with spreadsheets, powerpoint, coding, and like today, even taking training/compliance courses for work through videos. While I wouldn't advocate "overloading" a child on videos, nor any other medium, I can't see the logic in trying to avoid it altogether... which seems like essentially trying to avoid that video is a relevant form of modern-day communication.

And like everything else, in moderation. A child watching an educational video while riding in the car is a far cry from parking them in front of a television for hours straight each day at home.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 11:24 PM   #20
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post

I agree and we follow similar "restrictions" in our family (plus my kids just happen to love reading books), but just wanted to give you a warning. It's ages 10 and up when their social life starts relying on gadgets for communication and also games they will share with friends. Also they use laptops for school work and online document sharing, that's when you'll be up for tougher battle to maintain this.
I agree, but one battle at a time. Right now when my daughter has a consequence, she'd rather lose weekend video than bed time book reading. It's kind of like healthy eating, I know our kids will head to McDonalds at some point, but if they start eating there at 14 or 15, at least they got a good start on healthy eating habits for the first 14 years. And who knows, maybe they get used to healthy food choices and 80 percent of their choices are in that category instead of 20%.
      01-29-2015, 11:37 PM   #21
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
So what exactly is a 7 month old doing in the car seat that's more intellectually stimulating? Honestly, this is where I think society has gone a bit too "high horse."

Our son loves watching his Sesame Street "Elmo" videos in the car. He also has a handful of other educational videos that teach numbers, alphabet, songs, animals, etc. I've noticed a few things since he's started this routine:

1. His attention span is incredible for his age. These videos can be 45 minutes long (some longer), and he's really learned to sit an pay attention to a story-line (whether video, book, or some form of instruction) for an extended period of time. Quite unusual for his age.

2. He's learned a number of things from it - animal names and sounds, places, things, expressions, humor, etc. It's not a substitute, obviously, for teaching these things "conventionally," but I think it's a mistake to believe there's no educational value from videos.

Assuming you're not parking kids in front of nonsense videos, there's a ton of great content out there that provides quality education. Given the option of a kid twiddling his thumbs, or flicking around rattles attached to his car-seat, I think educational videos are a GREAT option for car rides.

Our son is now around 1.5 years old, and we've noticed zero sign of "negative" impact of this. He's completely engaged with all sorts of toys, playing outside, physical activities, puzzles, books, etc - and he also understands videos, characters, and concepts they teach. We've also introduced him to using electronics. He understands basic navigation gestures on a tablet now, flicking through pictures, the concept of "icons" that perform actions, etc. Considering the world we live in, teaching these skills is almost as critical, in my opinion, as basic motor / spacial skills.

Reading books is also, consequently, one of his favorite things to do - literally we can sit for an hour straight reading through book after book. Puzzles alike. So it would be hard to argue that videos can somehow "spoil" children or make them uninterested in other forms of education/stimulation.

My point being, there's tangible value in the RIGHT video content - especially where the time is otherwise wasted (or near wasted) when the kid is sitting strapped into a car seat with nothing of value to otherwise do. I also think it's an unavoidable medium in today's society. Like many others in the corporate world, I spend hours behind a screen each day - writing emails, working with spreadsheets, powerpoint, coding, and like today, even taking training/compliance courses for work through videos. While I wouldn't advocate "overloading" a child on videos, nor any other medium, I can't see the logic in trying to avoid it altogether... which seems like essentially trying to avoid that video is a relevant form of modern-day communication.

And like everything else, in moderation. A child watching an educational video while riding in the car is a far cry from parking them in front of a television for hours straight each day at home.
According to paediatric research and my child psychiatrist sister in law there is no benefit to a child under 2 and in fact they do better developmentally when they are interacting with their parents, or simply looking out the window watching things go by. As to your child, I'm sure he is very smart but you have no baseline to compare to because you aren't raising a clone of him who is being read to vs watching TV. Further, there are medical studies that are showing that vision can be affected in young children who spend time on iPods and iPads as they tend to hold them within 12" of their faces and have to focus near sighted.

I agree that moderation is the key, but we waited until age 3 to introduce our kids to videos. To each his own though. Last summer we were at a restaurant with our kids waiting for our food. My kids were sitting with my wife who was reading to them. At the next table we saw a young couple with an 18 month old in a booster chair with an iPad on a stand playing a movie and the kid was sucking on a can of coke. I had to laugh and then feel sorry for the kid at the same time, although the parents were free to engage in a lengthy conversation.
      01-29-2015, 11:42 PM   #22
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am fully with you on this one, in fact videos , games only when doing long road trips the rule I have with my kids, I have 2 DVD systems parked and only used for long road trips like crossing Ireland from the west to Dublin.
Making sure our baby sleeps throughout the journey is not a guaranty with a 9 and 6 year old also in the back! What is also difficult is the fact we planning for our baby to use the backward facing position for longer than we did with our other 2 kids, it is gradually becoming law here in Europe, due to how weak neck support they have with frontal collisions! with this position the baby have no view of us in the front and in a long journey the video is used to buy some time and only that! he tend to sleep most of the journey!

The other fact why I am willing to go the BMW gear is to do with the point you raised in a collision ipad may become a dangerous flying object, I went few years back for the BMW DVD system not a cheap one for sure purely down to how secure to the car it is once mounted!
It is also found that in the UK, kids are responsible to many collision due to parents loosing focus on the road!
Seems like a reasonable approach. We all have to do the best we can. We kept our kids rear facing until they would no longer fit. We drive the safest cars we can find and use the most robust car seats made. My wife was T Boned by a motorcycle that hit the rear door of the car where my daughter was sitting. The door got a healthy dent, window shattered but my daughter's head was protected by the side head bolster.