2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum What is this instrument display all about? - extended display

01-31-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 328i '15 F12 650i

What is this instrument display all about? - extended display

Although this question applies to a 6 series, I'm sure it's the same instruments as available on the 5 and there is a lot more activity and knowledge on this forum.

Question applies to the instruments with screen along the entire bottom of them.

the "analogue" display under the speedo as catagorised by the setting on Idrive that turns it off.

According to the owners manual it's some kind of range indicator.

The number displayed doesn't corollate at all with the range figure on the OBC, it's much lower and the bar underneath is sitting on 3/4 abouts, while the proper fuel gauge shows a virtually full tank.

Please can someone explain what I'm missing/what this actually does?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 05:40 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel20 View Post
Although this question applies to a 6 series, I'm sure it's the same instruments as available on the 5 and there is a lot more activity and knowledge on this forum.

Question applies to the instruments with screen along the entire bottom of them.

the "analogue" display under the speedo as catagorised by the setting on Idrive that turns it off.

According to the owners manual it's some kind of range indicator.

The number displayed doesn't corollate at all with the range figure on the OBC, it's much lower and the bar underneath is sitting on 3/4 abouts, while the proper fuel gauge shows a virtually full tank.

Please can someone explain what I'm missing/what this actually does?

Thanks!
Are you talking about this one, the full black panel display?

The range (bottom of the speedo) is miles range not a percentage of the tank. (Mine is marked in 100 mile increments). It does match up with my OBC figure. When you are using the SatNav destination, a little white blob runs along that range bar, so you know simply by sight, whether you have enough fuel to complete the trip without refuelling.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 08:39 PM   #3
AT LAW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 550xDrive M Sport

I absolutely love the extended instrument option. Very clear and a lot of handy displays/options.

I personally strongly dislike the all digital display as it is too reminiscent of a Chrysler product and you cannot get a good reading for the fuel as the "needle" is too short. Looks far too gimmicky for high end BMW's.
      01-31-2015, 11:09 PM   #4
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

The range is an indication on how far you can drive with the current fuel level based on your average consumption.

When I bought my car the range went to max when I filled up the tank so full tank = 100% ranger (800km i my case). at this time I had an average consumption around 8l/100km
Since I don't drive in the most economical fashion, and has an average consumption around 10l/100km the range is no longer 800km when I fill up the tank, more like 700 and full tank is not 100% range.

This has led me to believe that the range is a product of available fuel and average consumption, and that how much of the bar is there at full tank will vary from car to car depending on how its driven.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2015, 02:47 AM   #5
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Are you talking about this one, the full black panel display?

The range (bottom of the speedo) is miles range not a percentage of the tank. (Mine is marked in 100 mile increments). It does match up with my OBC figure. When you are using the SatNav destination, a little white blob runs along that range bar, so you know simply by sight, whether you have enough fuel to complete the trip without refuelling.

HighlandPete
Ah thanks bud. Now it makes more sense. The "300" I was referring to is probably the amount of km left when the bar reaches the half way mark on current estimates, re-looking at it after your explanation. Unless the 300 is a static benchmark, which means I doubt I'll be seeing a full bar often as 500km on a tank in a 650i seems rather optimistic!

Appreciate the help
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 03:07 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
The range is an indication on how far you can drive with the current fuel level based on your average consumption.

.....This has led me to believe that the range is a product of available fuel and average consumption, and that how much of the bar is there at full tank will vary from car to car depending on how its driven.
Exactly.

I recall when picking up my car with a full tank, due to running the car at the garage the range was less than my trip ahead (360 miles). The SatNav 'blob' was over to the right, well past the red range bar. I was hoping to extend the range and not to need to refill along the way. Once out on the road, the distance to travel 'blob' moved across towards zero, well into the red range bar, doing so as the mpg average increased. I arrived home with a range of over 130 miles remaining.

If I fill up at my current mpg average, I typically see around 480 - 500 miles on the range indicator.

IMO it is a good visual feature.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 03:15 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Ah thanks bud. Now it makes more sense. The "300" I was referring to is probably the amount of km left when the bar reaches the half way mark on current estimates, re-looking at it after your explanation. Unless the 300 is a static benchmark, which means I doubt I'll be seeing a full bar often as 500km on a tank in a 650i seems rather optimistic!

Appreciate the help
Yes that 300 figure will be a static benchmark. You'll need a very low average consumption to see the full bar.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #8
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

LOL, I see the full bar for hundreds of km.

On my diesel the full bar is 800km, but with a full tank the range is about 1200km.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #9
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Unless the 300 is a static benchmark, which means I doubt I'll be seeing a full bar often as 500km on a tank in a 650i seems rather optimistic!
If 300km is the mid scale, full scale should be 600km, not 500km.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 01:51 PM   #10
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
LOL, I see the full bar for hundreds of km.

On my diesel the full bar is 800km, but with a full tank the range is about 1200km.
Can't say I get the point of this feature and had hoped the fuel conscious hints had been consolidated in Eco pro mode, leaving drivers to just drive the car how they want.

To choose an arbitrary figure, in your case too low, I'm sure mine will be too high and then base the graph around it, maybe one buyer does driving consisting of easy cruising and drives in a city. Or one is all about the Eco pro (on a twin turbo petrol v8) and other is more about sport +

The e65 used essentially the same layout but the graph was the fuel level and static km reading was a permanent range display, freeing up the obc to display something else. So this probably confuses people coming from those cars, in addition to being not explained in the owners manual despite it being a little unusual.

This I'd probably turn off and forget about but the display looks better with the "analogue" dials turned on. Showing range vs distance to destination is a clever trick but hardly necessary for anyone who can look at the range and the distance on the nav.

Almost feels like they just thought a gauge would look good there so they had to make one up to put there.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 05:09 PM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Can't say I get the point of this feature ...

This I'd probably turn off and forget about but the display looks better with the "analogue" dials turned on. Showing range vs distance to destination is a clever trick but hardly necessary for anyone who can look at the range and the distance on the nav.

Almost feels like they just thought a gauge would look good there so they had to make one up to put there.
I see it as just another way to see the data. Not everyone will be running a split screen and reading the range/distance, or flicking through the BC displays to see what the range is.

Personally I seem to focus more on the range bar than the fuel gauge itself, as it means more to me, plus it is always there at a glance.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0