2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Photography/Videography Basics of buying and learning to use a DSLR camera - what, why, where

06-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Basics of buying and learning to use a DSLR camera - what, why, where

I've only seen about 400 posts of "which is better, "x" or "y" camera, along with "is "z" a good place to buy or is .... a good deal"?

I'll try and compile the best of the best information that has been offered for our fellow BMW fans interested in photography. If you find this helpful, maybe the MODS can make this a sticky and save everyone a lot of time answering the same questions over and over.

1. Which is better, this camera or this camera?

Not to support any one brand here, but the question is always Canon vs. Nikon. Pick the model, but it always seems to be these brands.

Let me help you out - it absolutely doesn't matter! Really it doesn't! Canon and Nikon both make excellent cameras. You really can't go wrong with either. What you need to do is go to a store where you can compare various models from both manufacturers, and see which models are the most comfortable for you to handle! Your camera really should be a natural extension of your body, and it must be comfortable to handle and fit well in your hand. I have fairly large hands, so I have a very hard time with a Canon XSi or Nikon D60. I need a larger model like a Canon 40D or Nikon D200. A friend of mine who is a far better photographer than I prefers her D80, as it is smaller and fits her hands better.

Don't get caught up comparing specs, especially megapixels. Over 6MP it becomes secondary to just about everything else in the camera. If you are planning to print photos over 16x20, you might care about the MP number, but you're focused on other items too, and you aren't reading my dribblings to determine what camera to buy - you probably already know more than I do.

Quite frankly, if you are new to DSLR photography, the differences in specs between a Nikon and Canon at a comparable price point are not going to be important to you. What is important at this point is to get a camera and develop your technique.

So, you're standing in the store, looking at cameras. Put each camera in manual mode and look at how easy or difficult it is to:
a. change the shutter speed
b. change the aperature (f/stop)
c. change the ISO setting
d. change the white balance
e. change the image resolution

within a few moments, you should be able to do all this without looking at the camera, or maybe with a quick glance.

You may find this easier to do at a reputable camera store than a bestbuy or circuit city, where the help won't know anything.

If you think you're just going to shoot in program mode and you don't need to do this, you probably need to reconsider your need for a DSLR. The added size and expense of the DSLR is probably going to be lost on you, and you may be much happier with a high-end point and shoot camera.

2. Lenses

Generally, lenses are more important than the camera body. The lens bends and manipulates the light, which is captured by the CCD or CMOS in the camera. Good lenses have things like extra low dispersion glass and aspherical elements, which are all pretty common, even on less expensive 3rd party lenses from Sigma, Tokina, etc. All Canon and Nikon lenses now have these features. CCD's and CMOS's don't change much from camera to camera, and all operate on the same physics.

For a more money you get a faster lens with a more wide open aperature. The aperature is expressed as the f/ number on the lens. The lower the number, the more light the lens will allow to pass. This allows more creative control, and also allows you to take pictures in lower light situations without a flash.

For even more money, you get fast autofocus from motors inside the lens. This is usually an expensive lens reserved for pro photographers that need the fastest auto focus.

Another feature becoming common is the IS or VR. This stands for Image Stabilization or Vibration Reduction. This allows you to use the lens without a tripod at slower shutter speeds while still maintaining a sharp image. It's a crutch for bad technique, but a handy one that many photographers (including myself) find uselful under the right circumstances.

3. "Is 'x' or 'y' a good deal" or "is ... a reputable retailer?

You need to understand something in the camera industry called "gray market". It's equipment made in the same factory, but imported by someone other than the authorized agent for your area (Canon USA or Nikon USA in the US). This equipment can not be serviced at a factory repair location, but is generally cheaper. Your warranty is through the place you buy it, and you have no recourse with the mfg if you are not happy. Buyer beware, but you probably want to stay away from this equipment at first.

Shady retailers won't tell you something is gray market. These are usually the retailers that have a crazy low price that is not to be believed. If they are selling US spec equipment, they're likely removing everything including the battery cover from the box, and then charge you more for that down the road. When you buy a camera body, it comes with the battery, the charger, body cap, etc. It won't come with a memory card or lens, unless you get a kit. Watch out, kits sometimes include useless extras that you don't need. Stick to the manufacturers kits to avoid being duped.

If you stick to retailers like Adorama, B&H photo, Amazon or Ritz/Wolf Camera, you'll be fine. You'll get good service and be treated with respect (usually ), but they are reputable. You can find good buys on used equipment on eBay, but until you are an experienced photographer, I would stay away from the 'bay.

That's about all I can think of for now. I may add some edits, but please give me your feedback or ask questions!

-Jason

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended

Last edited by TurboFan; 06-13-2008 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

First question to answer is why do you want to get a DSLR rather than one of the high end compacts (like the G9 or S5-is from Canon, or comparable products from other manufacturers). If the answer just "to take better pictures" you're likely to be disappointed.

The main capabilities a DSLR provides are:

1. Ability to use interchangeable lenses
2. Ability to use higher ISO settings with lower noise (i.e. shoot in lower light)
3. Faster response (both shutter lag and autofocus speed).

Of these I think #1 is easily the most significant. What sort of lenses do you see yourself wanting? Moderate telephoto for sports, long telephoto or dedicated macro for wildlife, fast and wide for people pictures in natural light, ultrawide for landscapes...? The list is long and different manufacturers have better offerings in different categories. I'd look at the lens selection, compare it to my interests and go from there.

My take, BTW, is that Canon and Nikon have significantly broader lens selections than the competition. The competition does offer in-body image stabilization, which is a nice feature, but I think lens selection should drive your choice.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

I would agree with your determination of why to get a DSLR. I was assuming someone had already decided to, but you make a good point about being disappointed.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0