2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Passing a good deal / experiance (H&R Sway bars)

07-12-2017, 10:10 PM   #89
STiLLsLow
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by STiLLsLow View Post
Man an OG like you could do it in your sleep, I'm a beemer newb and have 10 different tabs open with DIYs and tips for the different installs
Andddd I gotta make sure I have all the tools I need to make it as smooth of a process as possible! Thanks for the ballpark numbers though, let ya know how it goes!
you get em on? how they feel?
Not yet, will be installing this weekend along with a few other things. Definitely let you guys know once it's all said and done!

Last edited by STiLLsLow; 07-13-2017 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 07:59 AM   #90
kstorm93
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
For whatever reason, H&R has published that the bars are not for X-Drive. Yet, they fit and function on my 535xi just fine.

There may still be a reason unknown to me/us - maybe some load would be too high if we tried to track the car or something like that. You need to mod/trim two of the plastic shields at the front bar, but that's not unique to X-drive.
thanks for the confirmation man. What threw me off was that the same rep (Alexander) that the OP had spoken with and gave him the green light with the fitment, is the same rep that told me out right that it would not fit my car. So I was bit concerned. I'll go ahead and purchase. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #91
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstorm93 View Post
thanks for the confirmation man. What threw me off was that the same rep (Alexander) that the OP had spoken with and gave him the green light with the fitment, is the same rep that told me out right that it would not fit my car. So I was bit concerned. I'll go ahead and purchase. Thanks again.
I have to say "YMMV" but so far so good with mine. As mentioned, torque on he front should be in the 80-100 ft-lb area. I did it by feel too.

Look around here for a post by me in the M5/650i thread - I outlined all of the tools and process to do it with ramps, and some lessons learned from my second attempt.

Never mind - found it http://f10.5post.com/forums/showpost...0&postcount=40
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2017, 02:26 PM   #92
kstorm93
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
I have to say "YMMV" but so far so good with mine. As mentioned, torque on he front should be in the 80-100 ft-lb area. I did it by feel too.

Look around here for a post by me in the M5/650i thread - I outlined all of the tools and process to do it with ramps, and some lessons learned from my second attempt.

Never mind - found it http://f10.5post.com/forums/showpost...0&postcount=40
this is great.. thanks for the share sir!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #93
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

Anyone know a good install place in SoCal? Some places quoting me $200 to install, sounds steep for a 45min job.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 04:58 PM   #94
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep

Got these installed. Would rate them 8/10, pretty good for the money improvement. Handling has improved dramatically.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 10:14 PM   #95
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
Got these installed. Would rate them 8/10, pretty good for the money improvement. Handling has improved dramatically.
Can you enlighten us on how it feels?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 12:20 AM   #96
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Can you enlighten us on how it feels?
I used to feel massive understeer, now I can take corners a lot faster and feels like the car has no problem making it. Also, while on the highway I used to feel the car would take uneven roads weird with the steering wheel wanting to go in a certain direction.. now it feels more planted and stable. I've done the rear sway on previous cars, but I think doing both really makes a dramatic impact.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2017, 06:48 AM   #97
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

I know I wrote this out somewhere, but it doesn't appear to be here...

I've had both the M5/650 and H&R sets. I've had different combinations of front/rear and done some running in a couple of configurations. The rest of my suspension is passive base X-Drive (read: soft).

The Internet is full of people saying to do the front only because that has the most impact. My simple response - don't listen to them. Anti-sway/roll bars do control roll, no doubt, but they also balance the handling and grip levels front/rear and influence the oversteer/understeer balance of the car.

Second misconception - firm gives more grip. Incorrect - compliance gives grip. Want less understeer? Then soften the front or stiffen the rear. Want more front grip? Lower the front tire pressure one pound - it might feel squishier, but it's grippier - or raise the rear tire pressure.

Back on topic - F10 passive base suspension rolls like crazy. When I started driving mine it seemed like the steering wheel was connected to roll hydraulics that rolled the car before it turned. It was really, really bad. So something needed to be done.

The origin of the "do the front only" position comes from the fact that the driver sits closer to the front and feels a reduction in lean on the front more than the rear. My E39 with 704 suspension only needed a stiffer rear bar to dial out understeer, the front was stiff enough for general roll control. The F10 needs a front bar to stop rolling so much, and the driver feels the improvement in roll most from the front bar.

However, stiffening the front reduces grip in the front and, despite rolling less, an F10 with a front-only upgrade is going to understeer more. Add staggered wheels and tires and you add even more grip to the rear, leading to even more understeer.

This is why a stiffer rear bar is required too - for handling balance more than the driver's perception of roll control. So - the flat cornering feeling comes mostly from the front, and the rear must balance for good, neutral handling.

The H&R 30mm/20mm pair is a pretty good match. The M5/650i bars remove roll well but aren't quite balanced to my liking (but are a great way to keep genuine BMW parts on your vehicle and not attract undesired dealer attention for example).

Third misconception - anti-roll bars are last after replacing the rest of your suspension. Disagree - it's all I've done suspension wise so far, and I'm extremely happy I did so.
Appreciate 2
M1rcea1.50
Jayphil63.00