2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Ambient lighting

01-18-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Ambient lighting

Just modified my LCI 520d M Sport which is on order to have ambient lighting instead of the Seal n Protect.
How do people who have ambient lighting find it?
Is there anything outside of the car as part of the kit?

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
How do people who have ambient lighting find it?
I really enjoy driving at night, my car has cinnamon leather interior so a very warm glow.

What I have noticed, driving mostly on unlit roads, it is obviously much more noticeable and becomes far more special.

Just the other evening I was driving through the great glen, full moon, adaptive lights doing their thing, N55 engine running like a dream, the ambient lighting just made the whole driving experience so much more enjoyable. A 5-series is one good place to be.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d XD M Sport

Can't really add anything to the picture painted by Pete!

Love it. Great option to have. Not as prominent on the darker interiors but really adds to the high end feel of the car. I prefer the classic orange setting over the modern white at the moment.

Can't believe without it that the exterior door handles wouldn't illuminate at night.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

Thanks guys.
The Salesman is looking forward to the car more than I am....and I'm on tender hooks.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 01:23 AM   #5
Nasman
Private
Rep
Drives: 640d F06 Gran Coupe

I have ambient lighting and have to say it is one of my favourite features. On the outside, you have individual, white lights within the handles which turn on when you unlock the car and look very impressive in the dark! There are also lights underneath each door and on the underside of the bootlid however, I think those are standard. Internally, the lights run the length of the trims on the doors (above the handles), in the front footwells and within the the little cubbyhole thingys on the front doors. Overall, make for an excellent effect and add some additional class to the interior. They are obviously brighter at night but not bright enough to distract from driving. My ambient lights are orange to match the dials (2011 model) however, I believe the new cars have classic (orange) and modern (blue) lights which you can interchange. Well worth an additional few quid I would say - Good choice!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 05:38 AM   #6
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Wel worth the money, the lit door handles on the exterior, and the chrome strips on the handle to show you have it, are worth it alone. It makes the interior a special place, especially with oyster leather which I have.

I was recommended to buy it, and so pleased.

That and the MFD, you don't need either, but both make the car special IMHO.
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 05:42 AM   #7
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Just to add, my colleague has a white pre LCI without ambient lighting, an ex demo. He only bought it in June 2013, mine arrived in November 2013, and the little extras like the ambient, indicators in the wing mirrors, MFD and touchpad iDrive, none of which he has has dented his new purchase, which I was a little sad about when we were looking over mine on arrival, could'nt help feeling a little guilty, even if I had paid more to spec mine exactly as I wanted it from the factory.
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0