2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK steering vibration

02-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
poolie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d f10 m sport

steering vibration

Driving at all speeds and even on tickover this is really annoying which give a tingling/pins and needles feeling everytime I drive the car

ive had tyres balanced wheels checked im at my wits end.. only thing I haven't had checked is the tracking???

suggestions please.

Previous e46 320d se e60 530d back sapphire e60 535d space grey e91 320d space grey rrs 3.6 v8 black audi a4 ibis white 3.0 tdi
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

IF things vibrate without moving with the engine on, you might want to get all of your engine mounts checked out. Those, along with the bushings that isolate the steering column are what minimizes vibrations transmitted into the column and steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 01:58 AM   #3
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

How long have you had the car?

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
poolie
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks

Previous e46 320d se e60 530d back sapphire e60 535d space grey e91 320d space grey rrs 3.6 v8 black audi a4 ibis white 3.0 tdi
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
poolie
Private First Class
Rep

6 months warranty out last October

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 528i F11 (2015)

Is it a high frequency vibration, kind of like holding an electric shaver?

If so I've got it, can't get rid of it and no idea what causes it. BMW have been out driving in mine and can't seem to feel what I feel so I don't know if I'm suddenly sensitive to something that was always there or not. I just know 1-er and 3-er courtesy cars feel better. I tried out a 520D which felt very similar but I thought the point of the 30 engine was it's so smooth - and I kind of remember my first year of ownership being like that.

Over the course of last year under warranty I've had engine mounts changed, rear diff mounts changed (sorted a rear balancing type shake out at least), steering column adjusted/repositioned, I got rid of run-flats, played with air pressures, umpteen wheel balancings, had all the various suspension bushings checked, buckled alloy changed (no idea what caused that one). You name it, feels like I gave it a go.

So if you come across the real reason I'd be grateful to know
      03-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
poolie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rangdo View Post
Is it a high frequency vibration, kind of like holding an electric shaver?

If so I've got it, can't get rid of it and no idea what causes it. BMW have been out driving in mine and can't seem to feel what I feel so I don't know if I'm suddenly sensitive to something that was always there or not. I just know 1-er and 3-er courtesy cars feel better. I tried out a 520D which felt very similar but I thought the point of the 30 engine was it's so smooth - and I kind of remember my first year of ownership being like that.

Over the course of last year under warranty I've had engine mounts changed, rear diff mounts changed (sorted a rear balancing type shake out at least), steering column adjusted/repositioned, I got rid of run-flats, played with air pressures, umpteen wheel balancings, had all the various suspension bushings checked, buckled alloy changed (no idea what caused that one). You name it, feels like I gave it a go.

So if you come across the real reason I'd be grateful to know
hi, its exactly how you describe it. Ive had a friend of mine to look at it he's a fitter a bmw first thing he said when sitting in car is they all do its nothing to worry about. He had a 13 reg 520d when he came to mine and said sit in car and try it. Sure enough this one as well suffers from the vibration. I had just bought both mounts and was going to fit them he said don't bother, maybe he's right going off what you say.

funny though ive now conceded that this is a problem with alot of bmws and so put it to the back of my mind.. guess what now I don't feel it
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 01:27 AM   #8
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 528i F11 (2015)

I'd got used to it by October last year after obsessing all summer. Something triggered it again with me a couple of weeks ago so I've got to re-forget it now

On the plus side, ditching my rfts for Goodyear Eagles as part of the investigation was the best move I made, so much grip in the wet.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
ozwol
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f31 335d g31 540i

Had a recent meet with a bmw tech who is well aware of the various f10/11 vibration issues. These vary from steering related to vibrations felt through the seats.
Apparently at this particular dealership they have been replacing some front oil filled bushes for non oil filled bushes from the 7 series with good results. At least I think this is the case unless I have the wrong end of the stick? if I remember correctly from our conversation the whole front axle needs removing making it a pita job.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm getting the same thing, even my face is tingling! Only 681 miles from new.
BMW about to get a call from me.

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
That is bad news. From new... or started happening within a few miles?

I'd try and be very clear with BMW what you are feeling, as there seems to be some differences in how it is manifest.

I'm surprised that some feel high frequency vibrations from tickover/idle and dealer actions include wheel balance and the like. Totally wrong fault finding procedure, if it is there while the vehicle is not in motion.

Define the vibration as best you can to them, when and how it occurs.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #12
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
That is bad news. From new... or started happening within a few miles?

I'd try and be very clear with BMW what you are feeling, as there seems to be some differences in how it is manifest.

I'm surprised that some feel high frequency vibrations from tickover/idle and dealer actions include wheel balance and the like. Totally wrong fault finding procedure, if it is there while the vehicle is not in motion.

Define the vibration as best you can to them, when and how it occurs.

HighlandPete
Cheers HP.

Fortunately as part of my job I give vendors a bloody Nose when things ain't right, this will be no different. BMW will get a very well written up report from me of how to recreate the issue and what I expect from them.
I did actually feel this when I got the car, but I put it down to it being a new car, after 700 miles, the vibration should have gone down.
If it still occurs and they can't get to the bottom of it, I want my Money back.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 04:13 AM   #13
Welshman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 535d Touring

Quote:
Cheers HP.

Fortunately as part of my job I give vendors a bloody Nose when things ain't right, this will be no different. BMW will get a very well written up report from me of how to recreate the issue and what I expect from them.
I did actually feel this when I got the car, but I put it down to it being a new car, after 700 miles, the vibration should have gone down.
If it still occurs and they can't get to the bottom of it, I want my Money back.
Maybe an extra 2 cylinders will cure it
www.bbot.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #14
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Goes in on Thursday.
Took it into today and the Salesman we dealt with noticed it straight away.
Fingers tingling after driving the car.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #15
Jocky Wilson
dArtist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring

Quote:
Cheers HP.

Wow that sounds bad. I hope you and Poolie get a satisfactory resolution to this! Makes me wonder if mine will start doing this in a few hundred miles too....

P.S. I work for a Vendor (albeit in the IT industry rather than the Automotive industry, so am sometimes on the other end of the Bloody nose when our customers / resellers aren't happy!)
      03-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Goes in on Thursday.
Took it into today and the Salesman we dealt with noticed it straight away.
Fingers tingling after driving the car.
At least it is being acknowledged... Out of interest, is it a vibration only induced by motion, or is it possibly from the engine, including at idle?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #17
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocky Wilson View Post
Wow that sounds bad. I hope you and Poolie get a satisfactory resolution to this! Makes me wonder if mine will start doing this in a few hundred miles too....

P.S. I work for a Vendor (albeit in the IT industry rather than the Automotive industry, so am sometimes on the other end of the Bloody nose when our customers / resellers aren't happy!)
I work in IT too Have our paths crossed?

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #18
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
At least it is being acknowledged... Out of interest, is it a vibration only induced by motion, or is it possibly from the engine, including at idle?

HighlandPete
When car is in motion, it is more prominent at speed above 20mph.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #19
poolie
Private First Class
Rep

Mine is when ticking over. I did replace mounts as I already had them its slightly better, in fact its better or is my mind just telling me that because ive changed mounts! Lol
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 02:13 PM   #20
Gordon4499
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2016 535D M Sport Touring

I also experienced a mild tingling at low speeds however, strangely my wife could not feel it.

It was never serious enough that I felt a need to complain and the car goes in a couple of weeks but it's clear from these posts that there is an issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #21
poolie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon4499 View Post
I also experienced a mild tingling at low speeds however, strangely my wife could not feel it.

It was never serious enough that I felt a need to complain and the car goes in a couple of weeks but it's clear from these posts that there is an issue.
+1 with the wife thing. She doesn't notice it, never noticed and thinks im going insane
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 02:57 PM   #22
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

So what do you guys think is generating the vibration? Engine induced... changes with load, overrun, on and off the throttle? Any engine rpm when it is worse, (when stationary) and/or changes with different gears, even at a given road speed?

Or is it feeling as if it's from the EPS itself, when touching the wheel on idle, (not in motion). If so, does it change with lightest turning torque?

I'm intrigued... as it is totally foreign to me, no experience in any of the 5-series cars I've driven.

BTW, I see all three users with the issue in this topic are 520d users...

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0