2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum V1 Hardwire Question

05-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #1
jdfish06
Johnny F
Rep
Drives: '11 F10 535i

V1 Hardwire Question

Last night I decided I hardwire my V1. I used a YouTube video where the install was done on a F10 M5.. The video said to use the Green/Brown wire, which didn't work for me. Instead I used the Green/Red wire, and had no problems. My question is this, what voltage is the wire I tapped, what does it control, and should I tap a different wire instead?
      05-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
nvy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' F10, 07' E90, 04' E46

Simple. get yourself a multimeter and test it. You just need a ignition 12v power source. Meaning you only get 12v when ignition is ON and 0 volts when that car is off. Doesnt matter what wire you use because (i hope) your power tap has a individual fuse in it. Also, make sure you use a good ground. Thats it.

What mount did you use? rear view mirror or window cup mount?
      05-19-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
jdfish06
Johnny F
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvy View Post
Simple. get yourself a multimeter and test it. You just need a ignition 12v power source. Meaning you only get 12v when ignition is ON and 0 volts when that car is off. Doesnt matter what wire you use because (i hope) your power tap has a individual fuse in it. Also, make sure you use a good ground. Thats it.

What mount did you use? rear view mirror or window cup mount?
Windshield mount placed right under the rear view mirror. It does turn on and off with the ignition so that should be fine... And I couldn't get the ground to hold the bolt, so I just superglued the wire in place
      05-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #4
nvy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' F10, 07' E90, 04' E46

you superglued the ground wire?! lol take the time to BOLT the ground C-Clip to a near location. vibration will eventually loosen that up and can cause a short.
      05-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
jdfish06
Johnny F
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvy View Post
you superglued the ground wire?! lol take the time to BOLT the ground C-Clip to a near location. vibration will eventually loosen that up and can cause a short.
Yea that happened the day I wrote it lol but the tapped wire came loose too... I ended up just tapping the green/brown wire and bent the ends of the ground connection around a ground wire that I found (like a makeshift splice).

Worst case scenario is that it comes loose again and I take it to the shop to have it installed professionally