2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2011 535i test drive, X5 comparison, and side-by-side with my 335i

06-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Garage List
2011 535i test drive, X5 comparison, and side-by-side with my 335i

My dealer got their launch 535i a couple of weeks ago but were having some issues with it being locked in "transport" mode. Today I was finally able to drive it, and it was nice, if not spectacular. I really think I'd have to drive a car with the sport package, etc. to get a better feel for it. Some notes:
  • Very nice interior, with a more "modern" look and feel to the displays, controls, and so on. Even the digitial readouts for the climate controls are less pixelated than most BMWs, although in this day and age I really shouldn't be able to detect pixels at all in a modern car.
  • It had the base seats which were very comfortable, if perhaps a bit flatter than I'm used to. I'm not as much a fan of the so-called comfort seats as some are, and might opt for the sport seats.
  • It wasn't quite as roomy as I was expecting. Bigger than my 335i, but not by as much as the overall size of the car might suggest.
  • Handling was very good, but again, I think I'd prefer the sport package or perhaps the dynamic option. On the other hand, it handles better than most of us really need for the majority of driving conditions.
  • Power was great, and I'm becoming a real fan of the N55 engines and the 8 speed transmission. The shove down low is better than with the N54, and the transmission is a marvel of smoothness.
  • The car was still new so I didn't hammer it, but it easily out-accelerates most traffic and would only be challenged by a few cars.
  • Road noise was minimal, if not quite Lexus-like (nor should it be). Cruising at 60 MPH was much smoother and quieter than in my 335i, and I suspect this car would feel "serene" at almost any speed. You could emerge from this car feeling relaxed no matter how long the trip or how awful the road and traffic conditions.
  • Braking was "as expected" on a BMW.
  • The new-style transimission handle still freaks me out a bit, but it is slowly growing on me. I would like paddle shifters as I've become used to having them to downshift for corners, even if it's not something I do all the time.
Overall a very nice car, and I'm quite happy that BMW has restored the 5's good looks. I'm looking at a larger car to replace my 335i and the new 5 and X5 are the front-runners. As I've said in another post, it's not so much car versus SUV as it is BMW vs. BMW. I may end up in something besides a BMW, but it will have to be quite compelling for me to switch. I test drove a 2011 X5 35i Sport Activity back-to-back on the same roads to compare the two:
  • The X5 felt "sportier" than the 535i, with a bit more road feel and more noise under acceleration. I'd really have to drive a 535i with the sport package, etc. for an accurate comparison.
  • Both felt similar in terms of smoothness while cruising at 60 MPH, with a bit more road noise. Over rough patches, railroad tracks, etc. the two were more closely matched, but again the 5 felt slightly more "damped".
  • The new 5 definitely has nicer displays and controls, with some in the X5 reminding me more of those in my 335i. The materials in the X5 seem nicer than the 335i, with all but the dash top seeming to be similar to those in the new 5.
  • The X5 felt much roomier inside, even though the measurements for both seem to be similar. The X5 may only have 2 more cubic feet of passenger space, but it really feels like 5 or more. Some of this is due to the larger greenhouse, but it's not just perception. When I adjust the driver seat and do the "sit behind myself test" (I'm 6'0 and 225 or so lbs.) the X5 feels like the more comfortable place to be.
  • Fit and finish on the two seems comparable, despite their different primary countries of origin. I should have checked a few of the areas that folks have noted some cost-cutting going on in both cars, but forgot to do so. The 535i has the cheezy vinyl sun visors that the 3 series folks have been complaining about, but I didn't notice if the X5 had them.
I'm leaning towards the X5 because of the extra utility (I don't buy the sport "activity" vehicle baloney), the AWD, and the diesel option. I realize that AWD will be available on the new 5 at some point, and a diesel is likely, but I don't want to wait that long. Maybe I can convince my wife to get out of her Lexus GX470 and into a new 5 series at some point in the future...

When I was pulling out I snapped a few pics of my 335i next to the 535i, which offers an interesting comparison of their size and styling. Thankfully the 535i doesn't "feel" as big on the road as it looks next to the 335i!

I'm guessing the sport package might lower the 535i a bit, but it looks pretty tall next to my stock 335i (all e92s have the sport suspension). The grill on the new 5 looks big, but it seems more appropriate than the tiny one that the e60 had:

From the rear the f10 seems more aggressive than the e92, and the wheel well bulges help:

I'm not sure exactly why, but in the front quarter view the f10 reminds me a bit of the Maserati Quattroporte. It may be the long hood, but I also think that the way that the BMW schnoz now projects forward has something to to with it. The extra creases in the hood are interesting, and may grow on me, but seem a little busy:

In the rear quarter view the 535i shows that it needs bigger wheels, as these seem to be "lost" in such a big car. The sport package, tinted windows, and a better color (black cars don't do it for me) would show off the 535i, I think:

As much as I like the f10, I have to say that I still find the e92 to be one of the all-time great BMW designs. Granted, I'm biased, but my car can still give me a thrill when I see it, which is quite amazing nearly 4 years on!

Last edited by SkipSauls; 06-05-2010 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: Fixing links to images
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
crxb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2002

hey SkipSauls at my event I drove the X5 diesel - I was really impressed. from the engine sound (no clatter) - nothing suggested it was a diesel except for the great torque!

I drove the 550i and the 550GT also
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipSauls View Post
[*]The X5 felt "sportier" than the 535i, with a bit more road feel and more noise under acceleration. I'd really have to drive a 535i with the sport package, etc. for an accurate comparison.
Was the X5 on standard suspension?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 12:24 AM   #4
SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Was the X5 on standard suspension?
It was the new Sport Activity model with the sport suspension, 19" wheels, etc. I've driven a base X5 in the past, but can't recall details. I suspect the 535i with sport suspension would be better.

Last edited by SkipSauls; 06-05-2010 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: Mistype
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 01:00 AM   #5
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Quote:
It was the new Sport Activity model with the sport suspension, 19" wheels, etc. I've driven a base X5 in the past, but can't recall details. I suspect the 535i with sport suspension would be better.
Keep in mind that if you want the "sport suspension" then you need the Dynamic Handling Package. The Sport Package does not contain any suspension tweaks on the F10.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 01:56 AM   #6
iwannabimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda6s grand touring

Quote:
My dealer got their launch 535i a couple of weeks ago but were having some issues with it being locked in "transport" mode. Today I was finally able to drive it, and it was nice, if not spectacular. I really think I'd have to drive a car with the sport package, etc. to get a better feel for it. Some notes:
  • Very nice interior, with a more "modern" look and feel to the displays, controls, and so on. Even the digitial readouts for the climate controls are less pixelated than most BMWs, although in this day and age I really shouldn't be able to detect pixels at all in a modern car.
  • It had the base seats which were very comfortable, if perhaps a bit flatter than I'm used to. I'm not as much a fan of the so-called comfort seats as some are, and might opt for the sport seats.
  • It wasn't quite as roomy as I was expecting. Bigger than my 335i, but not by as much as the overall size of the car might suggest.
  • Handling was very good, but again, I think I'd prefer the sport package or perhaps the dynamic option. On the other hand, it handles better than most of us really need for the majority of driving conditions.
  • Power was great, and I'm becoming a real fan of the N55 engines and the 8 speed transmission. The shove down low is better than with the N54, and the transmission is a marvel of smoothness.
  • The car was still new so I didn't hammer it, but it easily out-accelerates most traffic and would only be challenged by a few cars.
  • Road noise was minimal, if not quite Lexus-like (nor should it be). Cruising at 60 MPH was much smoother and quieter than in my 335i, and I suspect this car would feel "serene" at almost any speed. You could emerge from this car feeling relaxed no matter how long the trip or how awful the road and traffic conditions.
  • Braking was "as expected" on a BMW.
  • The new-style transimission handle still freaks me out a bit, but it is slowly growing on me. I would like paddle shifters as I've become used to having them to downshift for corners, even if it's not something I do all the time.
Overall a very nice car, and I'm quite happy that BMW has restored the 5's good looks. I'm looking at a larger car to replace my 335i and the new 5 and X5 are the front-runners. As I've said in another post, it's not so much car versus SUV as it is BMW vs. BMW. I may end up in something besides a BMW, but it will have to be quite compelling for me to switch. I test drove a 2011 X5 35i Sport Activity back-to-back on the same roads to compare the two:
  • The X5 felt "sportier" than the 535i, with a bit more road feel and more noise under acceleration. I'd really have to drive a 535i with the sport package, etc. for an accurate comparison.
  • Both felt similar in terms of smoothness while cruising at 60 MPH, with a bit more road noise. Over rough patches, railroad tracks, etc. the two were more closely matched, but again the 5 felt slightly more "damped".
  • The new 5 definitely has nicer displays and controls, with some in the X5 reminding me more of those in my 335i. The materials in the X5 seem nicer than the 335i, with all but the dash top seeming to be similar to those in the new 5.
  • The X5 felt much roomier inside, even though the measurements for both seem to be similar. The X5 may only have 2 more cubic feet of passenger space, but it really feels like 5 or more. Some of this is due to the larger greenhouse, but it's not just perception. When I adjust the driver seat and do the "sit behind myself test" (I'm 6'0 and 225 or so lbs.) the X5 feels like the more comfortable place to be.
  • Fit and finish on the two seems comparable, despite their different primary countries of origin. I should have checked a few of the areas that folks have noted some cost-cutting going on in both cars, but forgot to do so. The 535i has the cheezy vinyl sun visors that the 3 series folks have been complaining about, but I didn't notice if the X5 had them.
I'm leaning towards the X5 because of the extra utility (I don't buy the sport "activity" vehicle baloney), the AWD, and the diesel option. I realize that AWD will be available on the new 5 at some point, and a diesel is likely, but I don't want to wait that long. Maybe I can convince my wife to get out of her Lexus GX470 and into a new 5 series at some point in the future...

When I was pulling out I snapped a few pics of my 335i next to the 535i, which offers an interesting comparison of their size and styling. Thankfully the 535i doesn't "feel" as big on the road as it looks next to the 335i!

I'm guessing the sport package might lower the 535i a bit, but it looks pretty tall next to my stock 335i (all e92s have the sport suspension). The grill on the new 5 looks big, but it seems more appropriate than the tiny one that the e60 had:

From the rear the f10 seems more aggressive than the e92, and the wheel well bulges help:

I'm not sure exactly why, but in the front quarter view the f10 reminds me a bit of the Maserati Quattroporte. It may be the long hood, but I also think that the way that the BMW schnoz now projects forward has something to to with it. The extra creases in the hood are interesting, and may grow on me, but seem a little busy:

In the rear quarter view the 535i shows that it needs bigger wheels, as these seem to be "lost" in such a big car. The sport package, tinted windows, and a better color (black cars don't do it for me) would show off the 535i, I think:

As much as I like the f10, I have to say that I still find the e92 to be one of the all-time great BMW designs. Granted, I'm biased, but my car can still give me a thrill when I see it, which is quite amazing nearly 4 years on!
Excellent review!

But for some reason I can't see the pictures. Does anyone have the same problem? OP, could you please try to repost them differently?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 02:11 AM   #7
bickers1972
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 520D MSport

+1
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 03:21 AM   #8
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Nice writeup man.

Can't wait to collect my 535iA this tuesday...feeling like a little kid.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 06:55 AM   #9
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabimmer View Post
Excellent review!

But for some reason I can't see the pictures. Does anyone have the same problem? OP, could you please try to repost them differently?

Thanks
I can't see them either.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 07:55 AM   #10
tim-atl
N00B
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d + 2011 528i

Great post, thanks.

Tim
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #11
SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
I can't see them either.
Should be fixed now. Here are some others:

Front seat:

Rear seat:

Side (sorry about the glare, Colorado is quite sunny):

Engine:
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #12
iwannabimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda6s grand touring

Now that's more like it! I love how big the F10 looks. What options did it have?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #13
soledoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Thanks for that write up. I've been looking for one comparing it to the current 3 series. I'm looking at moving up from my E90 328i sedan for a bit more room and more of a "grown up car." I'm 41 now.

I hate that the sport package doesn't give you the tighter suspension. I think you're right about the 19 vs 18 inch wheels. I hate big wheels (potholes...summer vs. winter tires etc.) but the 19 are probably the way to go on this car.
'07 530xiT (son's)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 05:47 AM   #14
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 SG 335i

Great review- especially as I am in exactly in the same boat as you are. I drive an E92 335 and my lease expires at the end of the year. I need a bigger car so the X5 or new 5er are up for consideration. Did you look at or consider the 535 wagon? It must be bigger than the sedan- and the back seats recline on the wagon! We also get the larger diesel engine for the X5 in Australia (X5 40d!) so it makes that option more tempting for me. Want to see and drive the wagon first though.
      06-06-2010, 08:15 AM   #15
SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbeemer View Post
Great review- especially as I am in exactly in the same boat as you are. I drive an E92 335 and my lease expires at the end of the year. I need a bigger car so the X5 or new 5er are up for consideration. Did you look at or consider the 535 wagon? It must be bigger than the sedan- and the back seats recline on the wagon! We also get the larger diesel engine for the X5 in Australia (X5 40d!) so it makes that option more tempting for me. Want to see and drive the wagon first though.
It looks like the US won't be getting the wagon, with the GT being the replacement. I hope BMWNA knows what they're doing, but I'd rather see the wagon here, or both. I liked the e60 wagon better than the sedan as it "fixed" the ugly rear end in addition to the extra utility. If the GT were sleeker and looked less like a giant Prius it would have more appeal.

The US also suffers from being out of sync with the rest of the world for powertrains. What's interesting is that a few other manyfacturers, including Dodge/Ram and VW, have figured out how to build diesels that don't require things like AdBlue. Maybe now that BMW knows it can sell diesels in the USA it will develop "world" engines, and bring more over here.

Last edited by SkipSauls; 06-07-2010 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: poor spelling!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #16
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Maybe know that BMW knows it can sell diesels in the USA it will develop "world" engines, and bring more over here.
BMW already sells one of "Ward's 10 Best Engines" in North America: it's called the 3.0L twin turbo diesel with 265hp and 425 ft.lbs. of torque - the world's most powerful diesel available for a sedan (335d) or SUV (X5).
It is also an extremely economical and powerful engine.

As for the AdBlue component, this is a silent partner with no noticeable effect on day to to day running. The top-up of the AdBlue tank is included with the BMW scheduled maintenance for 4 years.
      06-06-2010, 11:06 PM   #17
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 SG 335i

Quote:
It looks like the US won't be getting the wagon, with the GT being the replacement. I hope BMWNA knows what they're doing, but I'd rather see the wagon here, or both. I liked the e60 wagon better than the sedan as it "fixed" the ugly rear end in addition to the extra utility. If the GT were sleeker and looked less like a giant Prius it would have more appeal.

The US also suffers from being out of sync with the rest of the world for powertrains. What's interesting is that a few other manyfacturers, including Dodge/Ram and VW, have figured out how to build diesels that don't require things like AdBlue. Maybe know that BMW knows it can sell diesels in the USA it will develop "world" engines, and bring more over here.
Pity you don't get the wagon- it looks great in the pictures and son much more versatile than the sedan and without the GT price tag or "prius" looks. Have you noticed how heavy the GT is? One of the few criticisms I have of prestige cars (maybe all cars!) is that they are getting sooo heavy. But the powertrain and suspension is very advanced now.

I can't understand why your governments put such restrictions on the diesels, preventing manufacturers bringing in their best engines. On a fuel economy basis it's madness not to push diesel engines!

Good luck with whatever you decide.
      06-06-2010, 11:15 PM   #18
lux
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2, 2011 E90 M3 Comp

If you really want a nice interior and more space than a 5er, consider the 5GT. I personally don't like the exterior styling but I sat in one and it is very nice inside. The backseats are 7er spacious you have that practicality of a hatchback. I think a F11 would be the perfect compromise but we won't get those in the US.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #19
cloakster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 VW GLI

This is definitely means great things for the F30
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #20
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

thank you for the helpful review; as a 2010 X5 35d owner with sport activity package - all I can say is that it has truly exceeded all of my high expectations
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #21
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

E39 is hands down the best BMW design ever
      06-07-2010, 04:36 PM   #22
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 BMW 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPower06 View Post
E39 is hands down the best BMW design ever
+1
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0