2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum This will be my last BMW

02-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
nal13
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 xcomp/911 cab/RR LWB

Garage List
B  [0.00]
This will be my last BMW

My oh my how times have changed. 1500 miles on the speedo and for the second time I have a drivetrain malfunction. This time the car won't even drive though. I remember when BMW used to make solid cars that were fun to drive and extremely reliable. Every single day I miss my S4 more and more. Unfortunately i'm stuck with this lemon for another 33 months. I'm hoping and praying that I hit 30 days in the shop and the BMW is forced to buy it back. What a POS
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 06:39 AM   #2
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive

What's the problem you're having, if you don't mind sharing. I went through a similar experience with my 2011 550's airbag and electrical issues. BMW ended up buying my vehicle back and I ended up ordering a fully loaded 2012 MSport 550.

Cars are made from man, and some will have issues. I don't care if it's Honda, Toyota, Audi, or our BMW's. I will say that the professionalism and attention to details given by your BMW Service Center is the key to how well the ownership experience goes. Trust me Audi dealerships in the Washington, DC Metro Area are terrible! They couldn't fix a brake issue with my 08 RS4 to the point where I switched out the entire braking system with Stoptech and then Audi sends me a check for $3000 in goodwill. I also was blessed to find a great Audi Tuner in my area.

I know this experience can be frustrating but just have good communication between your Service Department and BMW Customer Care. Be sure to open a case with Customer Care and let them know where your car is being serviced. Also research your service center, BMW gives ratings for all their dealership service departments. Luckily the dealership where I ordered my 2nd car was a Center of Excellence! Also check with your local BMW Club Chapter for any help regarding choosing a quality Service Center or BMW Corporate Contact information to assist you with finding a solution for your issue.

Good luck,

Will aka The Swami
      02-25-2014, 07:53 AM   #3
GXAlan
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI 535i SE

BMW still has regional teams that figure out whether your car is definitely warrants replacement or not. Start the discussion with BMW now especially if it seems like the car has not been diagnosed after a few days.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
nal13
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
B  [0.00]
I recieved a call from the service manager and its another fuel injector issue. I thought that BMW had sorted out this problem for 2014. I guess not. I am just frustrated because this has now become a safety issue. I was driving on I95 and the steering felt off. Luckily i was able to pull off but on the exit ramp right before the car lost almost all power, started sputtering and the drivetrain malfunction light came on. The car was undrivable after that as there was absolutely no power. I think that I have a decent feel for a car and luckily I was able to realize that something was going wrong and I slowed down and got in the right lane with anticipation of the worst. However, what if my wife had been driving in the left lane and the power just ceased as it did on the highway. Is BMW waiting for a death until they fix these problems??? Under different circumstances there could have been a horrific accident. I will be contacting BMW of NA. I really don't want this car anymore. I know the lemon law in CT states 30 days in the shop but when you buy an 80K car you should never have to be afraid to drive it for fear of safety.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

What are they telling you? Have you contacted BMW NA?
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
nal13
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
B  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3
What are they telling you? Have you contacted BMW NA?
Talked with BMW NA. They are going to contact the dealer and try to initiate a buy back. Still think it's a long shot but will see what happens. Was justing talking to the service manager again and it's a wiring issue with the fuel injector this time. They have no idea how it could have happened. Basically the pins that connect the wires from the computer to the injectors popped out. Go figure.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
PhilT3
6'0 / 250lb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

@nal13

I totally understand and agree with you. Just a few months ago I was having issues with my X5's fuel system. Three times I broke down on the road. The last time was on a highway and could have been a BAD situation.

Both my wife and I are 'road warriors' and depend GREATLY on our vehicles. They NEED to be dependable. As soon as it started to become and issue, I got on with BMW NA and told them if it doesn't get resolved I would require another vehicle and I would not be purchasing anything else. Fortunately for me it seems to be resolved.

Please keep us up to date and best of luck.
Mods: SunTek CXP tint - Vinyl-wrapped door handle chrome - Macht Schnell 12mm spacers - Pedalhaus pedals - iND Cosmetic Package - Polished 90mm exh tips - Coded by v12 - 21" HRE S107's polished lip/black center
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nal13 View Post
My oh my how times have changed. 1500 miles on the speedo and for the second time I have a drivetrain malfunction. This time the car won't even drive though. I remember when BMW used to make solid cars that were fun to drive and extremely reliable. Every single day I miss my S4 more and more. Unfortunately i'm stuck with this lemon for another 33 months. I'm hoping and praying that I hit 30 days in the shop and the BMW is forced to buy it back. What a POS
Why stuck for 33 months? Just trade it on an Audi.
      02-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
nal13
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
B  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432
Quote:
Why stuck for 33 months? Just trade it on an Audi.
I owned my last car. My daily commute was cut dramatically down and a lease made more sense. I'm locked into the lease unless I unload it on lease trader.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #10
nal13
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
B  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post
@nal13

I totally understand and agree with you. Just a few months ago I was having issues with my X5's fuel system. Three times I broke down on the road. The last time was on a highway and could have been a BAD situation.

Both my wife and I are 'road warriors' and depend GREATLY on our vehicles. They NEED to be dependable. As soon as it started to become and issue, I got on with BMW NA and told them if it doesn't get resolved I would require another vehicle and I would not be purchasing anything else. Fortunately for me it seems to be resolved.

Please keep us up to date and best of luck.
Thanks Phil, ill update everyone on my progress with BMW NA
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #11
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
I recieved a call from the service manager and its another fuel injector issue. I thought that BMW had sorted out this problem for 2014. I guess not. I am just frustrated because this has now become a safety issue. I was driving on I95 and the steering felt off. Luckily i was able to pull off but on the exit ramp right before the car lost almost all power, started sputtering and the drivetrain malfunction light came on. The car was undrivable after that as there was absolutely no power. I think that I have a decent feel for a car and luckily I was able to realize that something was going wrong and I slowed down and got in the right lane with anticipation of the worst. However, what if my wife had been driving in the left lane and the power just ceased as it did on the highway. Is BMW waiting for a death until they fix these problems??? Under different circumstances there could have been a horrific accident. I will be contacting BMW of NA. I really don't want this car anymore. I know the lemon law in CT states 30 days in the shop but when you buy an 80K car you should never have to be afraid to drive it for fear of safety.
I've said it before and I will say it again, it's the fuel! If you google summer vs. winter fuel in the US, you will find the quality goes down dramatically in the winter.

As a result of the low quality fuel in the winter I starting using Archoil AR6200. There was not a night and day difference in my car, but its new. Using the same driver settings (summer tires in Midwest) my MPG went from 16.4 to 18!

The X5 on the other hand was a completely different story (2012 E70)! After I filled up the tank and added the recommended amount of AR6200, I told my wife to continue driving normally. Less than half a mile from the gas station we stopped at a stop sign to enter the main road. When she started driving again the X5 jumped forward as it she pressed the gas pedal all the way down! I asked her what was that and her response was "not sure, it's almost as if I have more power now" (didn't tell her what I added to the tank or what to expect).

I've always compared driving the X5 to watching grass grow! But after driving it during the last snow storm we had, it's different. The initial turbo lag (starting from a complete stop) is almost gone! Plus when driving it just feels more lively (bought it new)!

I have tried almost all the other brands, and they all don't seem to work especially that techron stuff (bmw recommended), if you were in KS I would give you a free sample so I could see the look on your face when you realize it does work! Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #12
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

Oh, also I forgot to add we always use Shell 91 or 93, whichever is available. In fact the X5 was in the shop for a transfer case issue a couple of months ago, and I told the SA to only fill up with Shell gas or leave it empty and I'll fill up when I pick up the car.

Now we use the cheapest gas available. Since the switch there has been no change in average MPG or performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 05:09 PM   #13
kthankzbye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i, 2020 G05 40i

Quote:
Talked with BMW NA. They are going to contact the dealer and try to initiate a buy back. Still think it's a long shot but will see what happens. Was justing talking to the service manager again and it's a wiring issue with the fuel injector this time. They have no idea how it could have happened. Basically the pins that connect the wires from the computer to the injectors popped out. Go figure.
Sorry to hear you're having problems but that was probably a honest mistake with the service tech, not the car. If the techs weren't trying to rush these cars out as quick as they can, it might have been a different story. I would try a different dealership. There's 3 BMW dealerships less than a 15-20 mile radius but I'd rather travel 40 miles to this one dealership who does excellent work.
I hope this time is the last time with your fuel injectors!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #14
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypx View Post
I've said it before and I will say it again, it's the fuel! If you google summer vs. winter fuel in the US, you will find the quality goes down dramatically in the winter.
This is absolutely true. In the winter, refineries are injecting as much Butane as they can for 2 reasons, Butane is worth a lot more in the gasoline, Butane raises the vapor pressure (boiling point) of the gasoline in the winter. The Butane blending season runs from September - March.
Appreciate 0