2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 Owners, does your car hesitate or jerk at 0-10 mph??

01-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #221
davesf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 550xi DSB, black nappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I was told by my local Shop Foreman that the issue is with the transmission not wanting to downshift 2-1, and that it is a known issue....with no known fix.

This would explain why it's much worse when rolling, rather than completely stopped. The car reacts slowly in second gear and then decides to downshift to first, and reacts very strongly.
This makes alot of sense. I don't feel unhappy with my 550xi's response from a stop, but even in my car I can feel a bit of this transmission/low-rpm related timing. If you move the shifter to the left it'll put it in 'sport' shifting mode and also show you the gear it's in on the center console.

I wonder if the efficient dynamics regenerative breaking is making the problem worse at low speeds as they might be intentionally staying in 2nd to lessen engine-drag and milk more out of the regeneration.

Past [ 2005 Audi S4 ] [ 1998 Subaru Legacy GT ]
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #222
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-S

I had the software update and my car appears to be fixed.

There was (were) *definite* changes across the throttle/transmission area, including a far more responsive Sport mode (it now feels like the car has 5-10% more torque/HP), and the hesitation / bobbing from 5-10MPH is gone.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #223
Dinans2
Rep
Drives: 2012 550 xDrive MSport

New 550, sport trannie

And I feel the hesitation too. Going to get Dinan Stage 2, see how that affects it. The extra 100+hp will get me over the hassle.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #224
iwinit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Dealer refused to update software for me yesterday although I still can feel a little bit of delay in taking off after 4000 miles. They kept telling me "It's normal". I also brought up the jerky stop problem. Again, they told me it's normal. The technician even told me that all BMW cars have the jerky stop issue because they are designed to stop fast. At the end, I just asked them to do an oil change at my cost. The technician agreed with me that an extra oil change during the free scheduled oil changes is very good to the engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #225
ccboye
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
I had the software update and my car appears to be fixed.

There was (were) *definite* changes across the throttle/transmission area, including a far more responsive Sport mode (it now feels like the car has 5-10% more torque/HP), and the hesitation / bobbing from 5-10MPH is gone.
What is the name of this particular software update?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #226
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Would a 535xi with a build date of 12/14/2011 already have the update applied? Or, is it a hotfix that is only applied to problematic vehicles?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #227
zsm722
Der Testfahrer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport/W140 S420/GTI

any updates to this? I have about 11,5XX miles on the 2011 535i M-Sport. SICK AND TIRED OF THIS GODDAMN throttle delay, hesitation from a stop. I read through all the posts, how do I approach my dealer in the best way about this? will they cover what it costs to fix it?

-Z
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #228
Rbembas_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarc View Post
Hi,

Proud owner here of a 1 week old 535i! Space Gray on Oyster Dakota Leather with the anthracite wood... Premium 1, Premium 2, Convenience Package and Cold Weather Package. I love the suspension, the NAV, the ultra quiet cabin, and the all the little features that make this car so amazing! But there's one problem.

When I test drove it, I drove it like I stole it and red lined it at every chance I got! And it's a great peformer. The problem is, in real world driving I rarely get the chance to do that. Instead, I'm finding that at VERY low speeds, the car has a hard time figuring out what I want.... Idiling along in traffic and then lightly touching the gas either gives no response, or too much of a response as it ramps up and I lurch forward. From a stop it's the worst. Driving through the neighborhood, parking lots, or stopped at a light, I get a very unlinear acceleration response when just slowly moving forward. Yes, the 0-60 is amazing. ... It's that gentle touch of the pedal that keeps my occupant's heads from jerking that I'm not able to attain!

Is anyone else having this problem? Took it to the dealer and the technician who rode with me and also drove it said he got what I was saying and kind of recreated it too, but didn't offer a solution. The shop has not seen any of these cars come through for any reason because it's so new... so I'm looking for any other owners who are also having this problem?! Are any of you experiencing the transmission hunting for the right speed, or the sensation of a jerk as the engine over compensates, or is it me??

Trying to be a smooth operator!! Thanks for your responses.
I have 2011 535i with manual 6-speed it's very difficult to feather the clutch and accelerate. Sometimes I'm good and the family is happy and sometimes not. I do notice there is some lag when you hit the gas
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #229
AlexeyTO
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 535i xDrive

The "hesitation" issue was solved on my Aug 2011 built F10 with sport package and adaptive suspension about 3 weeks ago. I had typical lag issues reported on N55+8spd automatic, experiencing at times a 2 sec delay before power would arrive. I never asked the dealer to fix it as there was no fix anyways. They told me back in Jan that they were aware of the issue and reportedly BMW had promised an update to come in Q1'12.

So, the dealer recently changed on-board computer (CIC), which was rebooting at times and also re-flashed the car to ensure the newer CIC matches 2011 car. Since then I have no problem with car responsiveness whether I start accelerating from standstill or trying to accelerate quickly while cruising. The lag is gone in all modes (comfort, standard, sport,, sport+) and my car is finally more enjoyable (though it is still a heavy one)

Don't know the firmware version, but suggest that your dealers check with BMW. No need to change the CIC, just apply specific update. Also gone is sporadic engine's RPM throttling at cold start.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #230
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

SI B24 02 12

Subject:
N52T/N55 with 8HP45: Delay in Engine Response

Model
E70, E71 with the N55 engine and 8HP45 transmission from 4/1/2010 to 1/16/2012

F07, F10 and F25 with either N52T or N55 engines and 8HP45 transmission up to 1/16/2012

Situation
When slowing down to lower suburban road speeds and then reaccelerating, a delay in engine response may be experienced

This situation may be more noticeable when driving in a bend in the road or on roads with a rising gradient.

Cause
Unfavorable EGS and DME software calibration

Correction
Program the vehicle using ISTA/P 2.46.0 or higher

Note that ISTA/P will automatically reprogram and code all programmable control modules that do not have latest software.

My service advisor tells me that this download is temporarily unavailable as it will trigger a false SOS Unavailable Alert.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 02:00 AM   #231
Xperts
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: F10-535i 2011, Audi Q7 2012,

Hi, i am in the fact same situation and the dealer here in Abu Dhabi seems clueless and do not even acknowledge it to be a problem

"The problem is, in real world driving I rarely get the chance to do that. Instead, I'm finding that at VERY low speeds, the car has a hard time figuring out what I want.... Idiling along in traffic and then lightly touching the gas either gives no response, or too much of a response as it ramps up and I lurch forward. From a stop it's the worst. Driving through the neighborhood, parking lots, or stopped at a light, I get a very unlinear acceleration response when just slowly moving forward. Yes, the 0-60 is amazing. ... It's that gentle touch of the pedal that keeps my occupant's heads from jerking that I'm not able to attain!"
      10-11-2015, 10:06 PM   #232
c7013498
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 528i / E46 330i / E36 M3

Hello,

My car is F10 528i N20 engine. I find jerk problem too at low speed from 1st gear to 2nd gear.

I have sent email to ZF. They are still no response. I think ZF and BMW have a responsibility to recall our car to solve this common problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 04:50 AM   #233
DocPepper
Registered
China
Rep
Drives: F11 530i N52B30AF eng

Hi,

had an F11 Engine N52B30 built May 2012. Finally sold it, as BMW was not able to fix resp denied the jerking, surging, bucking and partially zero response when trying to overtake or when making a turn. Besides being a very annoying comfort limitation, its even a serious safety concern.
Car was esp in low speed situation unpredictable in its response.

Changed various parts:
Vanos Solenoids
Eccentric Shaft Sensor
MAF
Plugs
Coils
latest software

Nothing remedied the situation and BMW kept insisting car operates as it should without any parts being faulty.

Quite upset with BMW.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 04:50 PM   #234
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

throttle hesitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarc View Post
Hi,

Proud owner here of a 1 week old 535i! Space Gray on Oyster Dakota Leather with the anthracite wood... Premium 1, Premium 2, Convenience Package and Cold Weather Package. I love the suspension, the NAV, the ultra quiet cabin, and the all the little features that make this car so amazing! But there's one problem.

When I test drove it, I drove it like I stole it and red lined it at every chance I got! And it's a great peformer. The problem is, in real world driving I rarely get the chance to do that. Instead, I'm finding that at VERY low speeds, the car has a hard time figuring out what I want.... Idiling along in traffic and then lightly touching the gas either gives no response, or too much of a response as it ramps up and I lurch forward. From a stop it's the worst. Driving through the neighborhood, parking lots, or stopped at a light, I get a very unlinear acceleration response when just slowly moving forward. Yes, the 0-60 is amazing. ... It's that gentle touch of the pedal that keeps my occupant's heads from jerking that I'm not able to attain!

Is anyone else having this problem? Took it to the dealer and the technician who rode with me and also drove it said he got what I was saying and kind of recreated it too, but didn't offer a solution. The shop has not seen any of these cars come through for any reason because it's so new... so I'm looking for any other owners who are also having this problem?! Are any of you experiencing the transmission hunting for the right speed, or the sensation of a jerk as the engine over compensates, or is it me??

Trying to be a smooth operator!! Thanks for your responses.
my n52 equipped 528i has this exact same issue at low speeds.. realistically the only option i had was to simply get used to it. its a little unsettling especially when I switch to a car that has a much more sensitive throttle, like my dads new Mazda.. but what can you do. an ECU tune can fix this, but mods like BMS powerbox wouldnt be ideal because it makes your throttle sort of like an on/off switch which i wouldnt say is ideal for daily driving. also, if your car has less then 3000 miles on it, i recommend you dont redline it until the 3000 mile break in process is over. this way you will get peak performance, fuel efficiency and your car will never burn a drop of oil.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 02:34 AM   #235
DocPepper
Registered
China
Rep
Drives: F11 530i N52B30AF eng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbembas_M3 View Post
I have 2011 535i with manual 6-speed it's very difficult to feather the clutch and accelerate. Sometimes I'm good and the family is happy and sometimes not. I do notice there is some lag when you hit the gas
Hi, commenting on your experience above. I had my car for nearly 18 months
regularly at the dealer. Finally, BMWs direct feedback was that they all drive like this and that the car functions as designed. Nothing could be done.

I suspect a compromised mapping of various values and variables in my DME
(which is the MSV90), which could probably be optimized for CO2 emissions,
as I also have the option 1CB CO2 package installed with my car.

BMW's umbrellas work well though. Best thing Inever had from BMW.

Otherwise based on my car's experience I'd say:

"Operating as poorly designed" - "A total absence of sheer driving pleasure" - "Unpredictable Dynamics"

Cheerio
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #236
Rbembas_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocPepper View Post
regularly at the dealer. Finally, BMWs direct feedback was that they all drive like this and that the car functions as designed. Nothing could be done.

"Operating as poorly designed" - "A total absence of sheer driving pleasure" - "Unpredictable Dynamics"

Cheerio
I traded in my 535i and now have a 2011 E92 M3

2011 M3 Coupe,Jerez Black,DCT,EDC,DSC
2010 X5 30i Black
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 05:03 PM   #237
Desmond79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i, 2009 328i

Own a '14 535i with normal throttle issues. My dealer says to install a Dinan Sports Performance Tuner - they do it - and not a problem with the warranty. Appointment is tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #238
Desmond79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i, 2009 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmondF10 View Post
Own a '14 535i with normal throttle issues. My dealer says to install a Dinan Sports Performance Tuner - they do it - and not a problem with the warranty. Appointment is tomorrow.

Installed, and need to drive this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #239
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocPepper View Post

Cheerio
I have a 2011 528i n52 with msv90. do you know why BMW used this DME for our particular vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #240
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

the throttle hesitation issue is definitely there, and its pretty strange when you first start driving the car, but I never saw it is being dangerous or so laggy to the point where the vehicle is not enjoyable to drive. the throttle is plenty responsive once you start to rev it past 2500rpm, only at low RPM does it lag. once you get used to it its not even noticeable - you will always apply the correct amount of throttle for the situation. an ECU tune would solve this lag.

it's really not that serious of an issue people..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 11:28 PM   #241
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Any one reset the trottle adaptation?

Turn car on in accessory mode,
Depress accelerator fully for 5 seconds,
Release pedal, wait 2min,
Turn car off.

Upon next start up, the reset will be in effect. Should feel different.
      12-14-2018, 11:37 PM   #242
Lucwarm2012
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 550I xDrive, M Sport

Same Condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
I know what you are talking about The throttle is kinda twitchy or lurchy in 1st to 2nd. I have the ZDH package, I found that it's worse in comfort and better in sport. Worse when it's cold, better or non-existent when warm. I've learned to live with it. It just takes a very delicate right foot. You'll get used to it too. My guess is that the car is trying to rip through the gears as fast as possible in city driving to save fuel.
I have a 550I AWD, M SPORT PACKAGE, awesome but cold starts are brutal. The problem was getting unbearable. I had BMW service the car and stated I need a new transmission after two months of ownership. I replace the tranny and it still hard shift in the mornings only, after fifteen minutes of driving the vehicle drive normal, ever since the cold weather came thru but must be in the gear box. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0