2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Are there any E60 5 series gurus on here?

04-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #1
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

Are there any E60 5 series gurus on here?

I know this isnt the E60 forum but some of you had an e60 5 series previous to your f10 and might be able to help me out. I changed the fuel pump and fuel filter in my wifes 2005 e60 525i this past weekend purely based on milage, nothing wrong with old pump. I disconnected the battery, changed the fuel pump and filter following a tech guide from pelican parts and when finished I reconnceted the battery and tried to start the car but it just turns over and doesnt start. I checked the All the fuses, replaced fuel pump relay and even jumped the relay connection and verified the new fuel pump works. It has a quarter tank of gas and the battery is fully charged, Im at a loss as to why it wont start. Anybody ever have this problem? So were clear its not the battey, fuel pump, relay or starter. When I turn the key I dont hear the pump kick on, so the car is not telling the pump to run, is there some procedure after a pump replacement or is it because the battery was disconnected for 2 hours the car is in some kind theft mode? The only thing I didnt try is filling it up with more gas, but it ran before it did the work. Im out of ideas, anybody have any ideas??

Last edited by Teddylongtooth; 04-14-2017 at 10:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #2
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth View Post
I know this isnt the E60 forum but some of you had one previous to your f10 and might be able to help me out. I changed the fuel pump and fuel filter in my wifes 2005 e60 525i this past weekend purely based on milage, nothing wrong with old pump. I disconnected the battery, changed the fuel pump and filter following a tech guide from pelican parts and when finished I reconnceted the battery and tried to start the car but it just turns over and doesnt start. I checked the All the fuses, replaced fuel pump relay and even jumped the relay connection and verified the new fuel pump works. It has a quarter tank of gas and the battery is fully charged, Im at a loss as to why it wont start. Anybody ever have this problem? So were clear its not the battey, fuel pump, relay or starter. When I turn the key I dont hear the pump kick on, so the car is not telling the pump to run, is there some procedure after a pump replacement or is it because the battery was disconnected for 2 hours the car is in some kind theft mode? The only thing I didnt try is filling it up with more gas, but it ran before it did the work. Im out of ideas, anybody have any ideas??
this is why you shouldnt mess with complicated parts that arent broken or malfunctioning to begin with, good job.

head over to e90post, you will find the help you need there. the f10 forum is useless for stuff like this.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 04:13 PM   #3
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
http://e60.5post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #4
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Thanks, the e60 forum is just a useless as the f10 forum. This is why I stopped helping people in here, nobody returns the favor.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 10:08 AM   #5
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
this is why you shouldnt mess with complicated parts that arent broken or malfunctioning to begin with, good job.

head over to e90post, you will find the help you need there. the f10 forum is useless for stuff like this.
Thanks, the e90 forum is just a useless as the f10 forum. This is why I stopped helping people in here, nobody returns the favor.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #6
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, the e90 forum is just a useless as the f10 forum. This is why I stopped helping people in here, nobody returns the favor.
no trust me, you'll find the help you need over at e90post. they are assholes, but a knowledgeable bunch.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 10:48 AM   #7
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
no trust me, you'll find the help you need over at e90post. they are assholes, but a knowledgeable bunch.
Haha true and correct. Even more elitist and more knowledgeable is N54tech boards. Also have you scanned for codes?

And this may not be your problem but I had e90 and it wouldn't start. Turned out that somehow the cable to the starter was loose. Tighten it up and boom engine on!
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 10:50 AM   #8
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Haha true and correct. Even more elitist and more knowledgeable is N54tech boards
oh god.. the n54 guys over at e90 make me cringe. fund guy had to step in there and apologize on their behalf for being so retarded. an interesting forum that is.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 02:40 PM   #9
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Haha true and correct. Even more elitist and more knowledgeable is N54tech boards. Also have you scanned for codes?

And this may not be your problem but I had e90 and it wouldn't start. Turned out that somehow the cable to the starter was loose. Tighten it up and boom engine on!
I scanned it, no codes. I'm thinking its the IBS thats causing the problem, unfortunately I changed the pump at a friends house while helping him wire up a 3rd brake light on his razer 800, so her car is in his garage and I haven't had any time this week to get back over there. I'm going there tomorrow morning to try again. Ill report my findings here anyway, we have an IBS in the f10 also and it could do the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 02:42 PM   #10
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Quote:
If Im unsuccessful this weekend ill try again. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 02:47 PM   #11
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Totally could be a battery related issue. If the IBS or a poorly charged battery occurs, all kinds of mystery problems start happening. Trickle the charge the battery for 24 hours first before replacing the IBS. Isn't there a recall for your model on the IBS?
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 09:17 PM   #12
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddylongtooth
Quote:
If Im unsuccessful this weekend ill try again. Thanks
try the forums on 5series *dot* net, I was a member there for a really long time when I had my e60s, there should be some info there since I have seen threads regarding fuel pump replacement before. long ago that was THE forum to be on for 5er owners (because that's all they had) I still have my original e60 *dot* net forum member window cling, that just be really rare these days, lol
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #13
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Ok, soooo after checking all the fuses and replacing the fuel pump relay, it turns out the new fuel pump was broken from the get go. After all my diagnostics on the electrical system I decided to pull the new pump from the tank and watch it run sitting inside the car where the rear seat goes. So with the key turned and the engine cranking the fuel pump kicked on, so I was like WTF? I put the pump back in and tried again and still no start no fuel pressure? So I thought maybe its got a bad connection and started looking at the old pump and the new pump side by side and I noticed the new pumps fuel discharge nipple was broken off. (See picture) So I pulled both pumps apart and put the old pump motor in the new pumps housing and reinstalled and boom, car started right up. The new pump must have gotten damaged during shipping because its just slips in the tank super easy so I know I didn't break it putting it in. Moral of story "check your NEW parts over very good before installing!! I'm taking it deep on the warranty since I used both pumps to make the car run again, the old pumps top plate cracked when I was removing the fuel pump locking ring. So now I have a new filter and an old pump in a new housing, lol. Ill get a new pump when the stock pump actually fails.. if it ain't broke don't, don't fix it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 07:54 PM   #14
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep

Thanks to everyone who tried to help
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 08:30 PM   #15
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Glad you figured it out. Always a relief

Appreciate 0