2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum question(s) regarding about common rail diesel engines including the N57

05-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
SL%%
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 525i

Question question(s) regarding about common rail diesel engines including the N57

I've been reading some articles about common-rail sometime now and there are things that I read that is quite interesting. I wanted to understand the difference between the old diesel engine and what makes the new common-rail so popular since early 2000's.

I did learn a lot but there are things that I still quite don't get and I don't know if it applies to all Common-Rail diesel engine.

I happen to stumble on a webpage, particularly this one: (http://dieselinjectorsuk.co.uk/commo...mmon-rail.html) and kind of got intrigued if indeed, these problems are affecting all Common-Rail engines and if that includes the N57 as well.

AFAIK, BMW have been selling its diesel engines way back and my most curious question is, to those who've own BMW diesel engine, how is it in terms of reliability and long term use? do the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel play a big role in engine performance?

I hope we can use this thread not an issue of debate but rather, an informative place where we can gain knowledge about the diesel engines of BMW. Thanks....
Appreciate 0