2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Deleting a phone book contact

02-25-2016, 01:10 PM   #1
Errowen
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i xDr GC MSport

Garage List
Question Deleting a phone book contact

I have noticed that the telephone app in the car creates its own phone book -- it doesn't just copy or display the one on your phone. It may start from that list, but afterwards you can add contact entries through the iDrive, and they won't be added to your phone -- just to the car phone book.

Now to the problem:

I had my Bluetooth reprogrammed, and the technician must have used his own phone to test it, because now there is an entry at the top of my phone book for "Dad, Mom, Sis at home." This is confusing to me because I don't recognize the number, I don't have a sister, and my Dad has departed for his just rest.

I tried to delete the entry, but there is no menu item to delete a single entry, only the whole phone book! I can edit a single entry, but I can't delete one -- or at least if it is there a way, I can't find it.

Anyone know how?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 03:18 PM   #2
warmshed
Rep
Drives: bmw 520D 2012

Delete the lot. Then the Idrive will repopulate with your contact list the next time you connect your phone.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
jabbarjd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7 xDrive50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Errowen View Post
I tried to delete the entry, but there is no menu item to delete a single entry, only the whole phone book! I can edit a single entry, but I can't delete one -- or at least if it is there a way, I can't find it.

Anyone know how?
I think if you hover over an entry you want to delete and press the Options button, you should be able to delete the individual entry. I could be wrong though. It's been 2.5 months since I did it and I could be confusing the contact entries with the navigation destinations that I had to individually delete. Hope this helps, but if you can't delete the individual contacts the post above should certainly work for you.

2019 BMW x7 xDrive50i in Phytonic Blue on Black -- 22" 756 Wheels
2015 BMW x5 xDrive35i in Mineral White on Canberra Beige - (sold)
2013 BMW 535i M Sport in Titanium Silver on Black - (sold)
1999 BMW z3 2.3 in Space Gray on Black - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 05:25 PM   #4
Errowen
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for suggestions. I deleted the entire contact list and the car then automatically loaded the phone book from my phone. But, believe it or not, the rogue listing came back -- and it's not on my phone.

The listing starts with an ampersand: "&Dad, Mom and Sis at home". I have no idea how it gets into the car's contact list given I can't find it on my phone!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 03:11 AM   #5
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

I had to setup email through ConnectedDrive Portal. I wonder if there is something similar to clear contacts.

The owners manual has procedure on how to clear/ delete entire user profile, which includes things from stored radio to stored destinations and Phone Book.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 09:35 PM   #6
Errowen
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thumbs up

For anyone interested, BMW service tech identified the problem as being the ampersand in front of the entry in the car phone book. Not sure where it came from, doesn't show up that way on my phone, but the offending contact was buried in my phone contacts in a different way and, once found, I deleted it. Then I deleted phone book in car, car re-imported the contact list from the phone, and "&Dad, Mom and Sis" was gone. All is right in my world again for the moment.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 09:38 PM   #7
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

So the so-called offending contacts from an unknown source actually did sync with your phone?
Appreciate 0