2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Eibach Rear Sway Bar Install

04-23-2021, 09:29 PM   #1
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: White 535i M-Sport, 911 GTS

Eibach Rear Sway Bar Install

Has anyone installed the 20mm eibach rear sway bar? I was doing this on a 2013 535i on race ramps. For some reason it just did not line up, the bends look pretty different from OEM too. I’m not sure if it’s cause suspension was loaded on ramps or something else. It was hitting some arms and couldn’t even bolt the bushings on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 08:27 AM   #2
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

It kind of looks like it would line up better if you flipped it, no?

I have H&R rear that I've had installed for years. From what I've read, the H&R and Eibach are extremely similar. I don't recall any adventures, although the rear is a bit of a pain at the best of times IIRC. I used ramps for this job too.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 11:12 AM   #3
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post

I have H&R rear that I've had installed for years. From what I've read, the H&R and Eibach are extremely similar. I don't recall any adventures, although the rear is a bit of a pain at the best of times IIRC. I used ramps for this job too.
Thanks man. Going to have to give it another try today. Someone else said doing it on jack stands will give a lot more clearance. Btw did you put the metal bushing holder on before finangling the bar in? Mine just keeps slipping off, because the bushing is bigger.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 01:31 PM   #4
Blue Angel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post

That's the first thing I thought when looking at the picture - turn it around.

OP, let us know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 12:18 PM   #5
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
Thanks man. Going to have to give it another try today. Someone else said doing it on jack stands will give a lot more clearance. Btw did you put the metal bushing holder on before finangling the bar in? Mine just keeps slipping off, because the bushing is bigger.
I'm the third to think you just need to flip it, and it should match the stock bar. Hopefully!

I hear you on the bushing holder not wanting to stay on. Below I'm pasting a blurb from me in a thread I made back with I did my install. Those holders will end up fitting, believe it or not, but if you wait until after the bar is finangled in then the way the holder is stretched wider will make the holder bolt holes too wide, which makes the bolts want to go in at an angle, which scared the hell out of me.

Per the below, in hindsight, I'd grab a couple quick clamps, clamp that holder vertically and horizontally over the bushing, and hope that a little bit of time gets it settled into place better so that you're not upside down and trying to fit clamps around all the other parts that are in the way once the bar is in place.

"The only surprise is I nearly lost an hour - an hour filled with annoyance and anxiety - dealing with the rear bar's bushing brackets. The brackets really didn't want to fit around the bushings, so bad that I thought they gave me the wrong bushings as first. I had all sorts of clamps trying to get the bushing seated deep enough into the bracket and then also pinching the bracket together sideways because the bracket bolt holes were lining up a good 1/2" or so too wide. A long process of clamping and alternating the tightening of the front/back bolts until I finally got it lined up and in there. Scary because it was a situation ripe for cross threading but luckily all's well that ends well. Doing it again, I would try clamping them bushings in there both direction and letting the clamps settle in for some time before going to mount the bar. The front bar brackets are heavier duty and I was able to get the bushings into the mounts by hand and the holes lined right up also because, unlike the rear, the heavier duty brackets didn't flex to stretch for the bushings at all."

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767892
      04-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #6
Sylverlee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro_blasta View Post
I'm the third to think you just need to flip it, and it should match the stock bar. Hopefully!

I hear you on the bushing holder not wanting to stay on. Below I'm pasting a blurb from me in a thread I made back with I did my install. Those holders will end up fitting, believe it or not, but if you wait until after the bar is finangled in then the way the holder is stretched wider will make the holder bolt holes too wide, which makes the bolts want to go in at an angle, which scared the hell out of me.

Per the below, in hindsight, I'd grab a couple quick clamps, clamp that holder vertically and horizontally over the bushing, and hope that a little bit of time gets it settled into place better so that you're not upside down and trying to fit clamps around all the other parts that are in the way once the bar is in place.

"The only surprise is I nearly lost an hour - an hour filled with annoyance and anxiety - dealing with the rear bar's bushing brackets. The brackets really didn't want to fit around the bushings, so bad that I thought they gave me the wrong bushings as first. I had all sorts of clamps trying to get the bushing seated deep enough into the bracket and then also pinching the bracket together sideways because the bracket bolt holes were lining up a good 1/2" or so too wide. A long process of clamping and alternating the tightening of the front/back bolts until I finally got it lined up and in there. Scary because it was a situation ripe for cross threading but luckily all's well that ends well. Doing it again, I would try clamping them bushings in there both direction and letting the clamps settle in for some time before going to mount the bar. The front bar brackets are heavier duty and I was able to get the bushings into the mounts by hand and the holes lined right up also because, unlike the rear, the heavier duty brackets didn't flex to stretch for the bushings at all."

Thanks for the reply man.

I got it installed yesterday after about 1.5 hours. The solution was to lift the frame up a bit while it's on ramps, gave me much more room. I did put the holder on as the bar was already lined up to the holes. It took a lot of muscling, and my body is still sore today lol. I was afraid of cross-threading, but I think it all turned out ok, didn't have any issues with the bolts.

I've had F/R H&R's before, and they were too rough for me together. I wanted to experiment this time with just the Rear sway bar, and I like it so far! Get the nice turn in, less understeer, without the hard jarring feelings from the front.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 03:26 PM   #7
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by burro_blasta View Post

Thanks for the reply man.

I got it installed yesterday after about 1.5 hours. The solution was to lift the frame up a bit while it's on ramps, gave me much more room. I did put the holder on as the bar was already lined up to the holes. It took a lot of muscling, and my body is still sore today lol. I was afraid of cross-threading, but I think it all turned out ok, didn't have any issues with the bolts.

I've had F/R H&R's before, and they were too rough for me together. I wanted to experiment this time with just the Rear sway bar, and I like it so far! Get the nice turn in, less understeer, without the hard jarring feelings from the front.
I had some full body soreness after that one too - then I was confused if being that sore from working on my car made me more of a man or less

Glad you're liking the upgrade!!