2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Water coming from base of passenger side rear door

07-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

Water coming from base of passenger side rear door

Hi all,

I have booked my F10 to be looked at next week. On Friday, it rained over night. On Saturday morning my daughter opened the rear door and lots of water came pouring from the bottom of the door. There was approximately 1 litre I would say.

I felt underneath and there is a drain hole - atleast that is what it feels like - it may not be.

I prised the plastic door fitting slightly, just 1 to 2mm with my fingers - barely any pressure and more water came out.

It seems that water has found it's way inside the door cavity.

The dealer had no problem booking the car to be looked at, as a warranty issue (car will be 3 years in November this year).

Does anyone have experience of this?

Is it likely that the window seal has failed?

Thanks - cheers ...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
HighConcept
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F-Ten ///M

Never heard of this happening before. Goodluck with everything and hopefully someone can enlighten us with a bit more of info.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Water is supposed to get into the doors, there is no "window seal" that can keep it out. It's also supposed to get back out so you shouldn't have an accumulation like you saw.

When stationary, my E39 would hold on to some water in the back doors until they were opened but not 1L.

It's a common problem with all kinds of BMW models for decades that vapour barrier glue inside the door will let go and water will start seeping onto the carpets from behind the door trim.

You're under warranty, it's not normal, just get the dealer to take care of it. But know that water is supposed to get inside the door (and get back out).
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
HighConcept
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F-Ten ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Water is supposed to get into the doors, there is no "window seal" that can keep it out. It's also supposed to get back out so you shouldn't have an accumulation like you saw.

When stationary, my E39 would hold on to some water in the back doors until they were opened but not 1L.

It's a common problem with all kinds of BMW models for decades that vapour barrier glue inside the door will let go and water will start seeping onto the carpets from behind the door trim.

You're under warranty, it's not normal, just get the dealer to take care of it. But know that water is supposed to get inside the door (and get back out).
The synopsis you provided is nuanced to his actual experience. What you described, a lot of us are aware of (engineering and native mechanics).

Though, I wasn't in cognizance to how common an issue this was for most BMW vehicles as most of my friends and acquaintances never discussed such factors, so thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 03:18 AM   #5
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post

Is that vapour barrier glue the yellow-y stinky stuff that I find in the "holes" of my car?

I was in Vegas when it was 118 degrees and some of that yellow "glue" (more like a hardened "oil" that I see in the little crevice holes of my car) puked out of a tiny hole at the bottom of my inner trunk lid. It was a pain to clean off due to how oily it was and the little trail it left left some oxidation on my bumper (can't really see it but it looks like the surface-imprint i.e slight fade where it was that you see from bird crap).
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Is that vapour barrier glue the yellow-y stinky stuff that I find in the "holes" of my car?

I was in Vegas when it was 118 degrees and some of that yellow "glue" (more like a hardened "oil" that I see in the little crevice holes of my car) puked out of a tiny hole at the bottom of my inner trunk lid. It was a pain to clean off due to how oily it was and the little trail it left left some oxidation on my bumper (can't really see it but it looks like the surface-imprint i.e slight fade where it was that you see from bird crap).
Nope. The vapour barrier glue is black gooey stuff that stays soft (until it's all dried out). It's kind of like acoustic sealant, or butyl tape, or 3M window weld (some of the things DIYers use to perform the repair). It doesn't go anywhere, it just dries out and/or gets contaminated and isn't tacky enough to properly attached the barrier any longer.

An important point is that it's normal to have INCHES of water in the doors at some times (heavy rain, car washes). This barrier keeps it out of the interior while it works its way out of the door drains.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 04:50 AM   #7
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

In and back - approx. 5 hour turn around : vapour barrier glue compromised in some way. They have replaced this, under warranty. Service rep. said to monitor the door, in case it happens again. Another seal that goes around the whole door had some how slipped out of place and interfered with the vapour barrier.

Thanks to all for the replies.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Problem occurred again. Same door. Annoying.

So I booked it in again - 7 hour turn around - additional parts replaced this time.

Hopefully they have resolved it now.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
T-PWR
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 2012

I had the same problem with my car. Left rear door.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #10
sticky667
Registered
Rep
Drives: f10

which parts were replaced? do you have the work order?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 08:22 AM   #11
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

I currently have this same issue on my 2012 car, i cant see any water seeping inside, is this a a diy fix
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 06:57 AM   #12
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticky667 View Post
Nope, sorry: this issue was in Summer 2013.

I can say that it is good to this date. Any water comes through the drain holes.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 01:47 PM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
I currently have this same issue on my 2012 car, i cant see any water seeping inside, is this a a diy fix
I fixed mine a few months back. Driver's side rear door on my touring. Water was coming out from under the door card. Had this same problem with other BMW models.

Vapour barrier had come away in the lower section, (lower curved section in the picture of my door). Only takes a small leak, as water can sit between the metal and the barrier, so continually has a 'feed' when raining.

I used a heavy duty mastic. Eased off the barrier, used a hot air gun to ensure it was soft, (don't overheat) and removed a section of contaminated mastic. Added new mastic in the area that had become contaminated. With it warm, the original mastic will stick again.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticky667 View Post
Can't understand why new parts would be needed, only if the garage damaged (ripped) the original vapour barrier.
Appreciate 0