2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding 12v power

10-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
T-Man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M Sport

I'm trying to find the best spot to tap into a 12v power source that's active only when the car is on. Everything I'm finding in the truck area is hot all the time. Even the truck cigarette lighter always has power. What have people been tapping into??
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Man
I'm trying to find the best spot to tap into a 12v power source that's active only when the car is on. Everything I'm finding in the truck area is hot all the time. Even the truck cigarette lighter always has power. What have people been tapping into??
What are u hooking up?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
T-Man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Gthaus Meisterschaft GTC module box. It's the control box that gives power to the valves.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 05:44 AM   #4
v12
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

The various 12V sockets in the car lose power when or a few minutes after you lock the car and get it back when you unlock it.

You could also tap right into the fuse box.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Gthaus Meisterschaft GTC module box. It's the control box that gives power to the valves.
The best thing to do to avoid warranty problems is buy " add a Circuit" and tap into your homelink fuse that will work perfectly. I have the same setup for my laser jammers and i works great. Plus if one day u forget it on you loose power, but if u do it this way once u turn car off that power will cut off. Gl
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
T-Man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks I found one
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep

It will look like this u could buy it at any auto part store for Round 5-7 dollars. in my opinion and what i did is cut off the blue plug and splice both wires together to get better connection. Now check your fuse before you buy it, they come in mini or large so check that and also call the company up and ask what amp does the unit need ( to avoid melting the wires or blowing out the fuse). Gl
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #8
T-Man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTX5
It will look like this u could buy it at any auto part store for Round 5-7 dollars. in my opinion and what i did is cut off the blue plug and splice both wires together to get better connection. Now check your fuse before you buy it, they come in mini or large so check that and also call the company up and ask what amp does the unit need ( to avoid melting the wires or blowing out the fuse). Gl
Thank you for all your help. That's the unit I got today from AutoZone it was $7. Were you able to plug into a open slot or did you plug into a occupied one. I'm trying to find a open one but the fuse diagram from BMW is not user friendly at all. Empty spots are not labeled and the taken spots are labeled with pictures not words.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #9
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTX5
Thank you for all your help. That's the unit I got today from AutoZone it was $7. Were you able to plug into a open slot or did you plug into a occupied one. I'm trying to find a open one but the fuse diagram from BMW is not user friendly at all. Empty spots are not labeled and the taken spots are labeled with pictures not words.
No problem glad i could help, i tap into my homelink which i knew 100% there will be no power after car shut down. But like u said if theres spares thats great, but just double check it wont draw power after shut down. I think i got the a pic of your fuse panel each symbol will tell you which slot number is your fuse, and on the bottom it tells u what amp is fuse is drawing. But like i said before contact the company and ask how much amp do u need to run the kit. Goodluck let me know if u have any problems.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 12:40 AM   #10
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep

535xi
Attached Images

Appreciate 0