2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 550i Space Grey / Black Nappa - Pics and impressions.

11-17-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
savela
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

550i Space Grey / Black Nappa - Pics and impressions.

Ok, after a very long wait, my 550 finally arrived.

In short, I love this car. Yes it is larger and feels quite different than my friend's E39 did but it is an absolute blast to drive.

I've read about all the 'issues' ranging from miniscule (the key fob) to significant (pulling / grinding). Thankfully mine doesn't suffer from any (the latter)...yet. I know that many like to compare it to the previous 5 but for better or worse, I'm moving over from a 10 yr old VW Passat so I'm likely not qualified to do that. What I can say is that BMW was after me and whatever they did worked. I drove MANY cars and the F10 was simply the best.

For those that are 'lurking' and waiting to pull the trigger but are a bit afraid based on some of the posts, rest easy. I've realized that this group is made up of true enthusiasts and bavarian blooded BMW aficionados so take a lot of what is said with a grain of salt. The complaints are absolutely justified but likely not major issues for most of us out there, myself included. I had sleepless nights about loss of 'on center steering feel' and a 'shark nosed' atrocity that would be the butt of many jokes. As it turns out, the steering is great and the car looks fantastic. I guess I'm the kinda guy that just loves the one he's with and I absolutely love the one I'm with.

Technology is extensive and quite user friendly. iDrive ROCKS. Bluetooth works flawlessly. Ventilated Nappa seats are ooohhh so comfortable. On and on and on. My only complaint is that we have no autobahn stateside as this thing likes to run.

Enjoy the few pics I have and let me know if you want more. Further below I've added ones w/ 30% Wincos tint all around (except windshield).

steve

With 30% Wincos tint all around. Agree w/ gatoman39, looks darker from the outside and very discreet from the inside looking out.

Last edited by savela; 11-19-2010 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: Added pics w/ tint.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
CarBrain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mercedes GL 450

Great looking car/color.

I see that you have debadged your 550i. It looks so clean.

2 more weeks and I will also be getting my 550i.
      11-17-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Nice tint!
The ventilated seats are so key for us warm weather folks, where even in the middle of Nov, it's still 75-80.
This car will ruin you for any other car. Things that seem like luxuries ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, start to seem normal. Until you get into other cars and then feel like something's missing. Kinda like life before HDTV. Now if you see an analog set you think, man that looks like crap.
      11-18-2010, 02:43 AM   #4
kiasu king
Rep
Drives: F10

Hi Savela,

Congrats on your new ride! It's a big jump from passat to 550i. I absolutely agree with your comments. I have driven the 5 series from E39, through E60 to F10 and each new generation has been better than the last including the styling IMO. While E39 was a great car during its time, technology has advanced so much since I had my E39 14 years ago that the F10 today is such a different car compared to E39 and we have to move on. Oh, you have a lovely country manor house in the background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savela View Post
Ok, after a very long wait, my 550 finally arrived.

In short, I love this car. Yes it is larger and feels quite different than my friend's E39 did but it is an absolute blast to drive.

I've read about all the 'issues' ranging from miniscule (the key fob) to significant (pulling / grinding). Thankfully mine doesn't suffer from any (the latter)...yet. I know that many like to compare it to the previous 5 but for better or worse, I'm moving over from a 10 yr old VW Passat so I'm likely not qualified to do that. What I can say is that BMW was after me and whatever they did worked. I drove MANY cars and the F10 was simply the best.

For those that are 'lurking' and waiting to pull the trigger but are a bit afraid based on some of the posts, rest easy. I've realized that this group is made up of true enthusiasts and bavarian blooded BMW aficionados so take a lot of what is said with a grain of salt. The complaints are absolutely justified but likely not major issues for most of us out there, myself included. I had sleepless nights about loss of 'on center steering feel' and a 'shark nosed' atrocity that would be the butt of many jokes. As it turns out, the steering is great and the car looks fantastic. I guess I'm the kinda guy that just loves the one he's with and I absolutely love the one I'm with.

Technology is extensive and quite user friendly. iDrive ROCKS. Bluetooth works flawlessly. Ventilated Nappa seats are ooohhh so comfortable. On and on and on. My only complaint is that we have no autobahn stateside as this thing likes to run.

Enjoy the few pics I have and let me know if you want more.

steve

Appreciate 0