2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 options

05-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
jacksonlui
Rep
Drives: bmw

F10 options

How do you guys feel about these options:

1- Dakota vs Nappa: any durability issues with Nappa?

2- Activated Ventilated Seat package: If the active front seats actually strengthen your support muscles just by sitting in your car for 2hrs each day, then it pays for itself.

3- Premium package 2: Wow this is 5k! I like the NAV mainly for the widescreen but not for 5k. The other options don't seem useful. How can one justify it?

4- Shift paddles: $500 option. not expensive but i don't see myself using this.

5- Integral Active Steering: I've read some good reviews. Seems like an interesting option. Any inputs from people that has actually tried it?

6- Exterior trim: How do you get the exterior chrome trim around the doors?

thanks
Jack
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

I'll comment on a couple of items.

First, I wouldn't spend my money on anything that I won't use. Personnaly, I don't believe in that "you've got to get it for resale" argument.

If you really only want the nav screen, you can get nav as a $1900 stand-alone option.

You get chrome around the doors by not selecting the sport package. That package changes the trim from chrome to high-gloss black "shadowline".

The active steering gets a lot of bad press, but I've had it on both of my E60s and am an absolute fan. In the E60, the active steering changes the steering ratio with speed. So at slow speeds (i.e parking) you do not have to turn the wheel as much to go "lock-to-lock". When you live in a city and do a lot of parallel parking, it's exceptionally convenient. The criticism is that through high-acceleration curves, the change in steering ratio can be un-nerving. It's never been an issue for me, but I can understand the concern.

In the F10, the active steering option also adds a four-wheel steering component that also will help parking and turning radius. Another plus for me.

Last edited by hinckley; 05-02-2010 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0