2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10, 528, Vibration 80-120 km/h

09-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #23
sieben1973
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 "dark grey" 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcJ View Post
I sometimes have the same problem. It comes en goes without any noticeable reason, but usually disappear after a minute or two. I did some check of the tires but couldn't find any problem. I'm having non RFT tires.
Me too although Original RTFs on 16s
And Four you catch the man
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #24
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo588 View Post
JonD,

You will be surprised. There was another new 5 series owner in my area (Southeast Michigan) who couldn't stand feeling small "rumble strips" on smooth paved tarmacs at 70 to 80mph and came in with same complaint and it ended up being true (4 bent rims!). The factory is not casting the rims in the proper temperature or something causing the wheels to warp a bit when cooled down and placed on the car. Simply ridiculous! My japanese cars all were smooth from the beginning prior to this car. However, BMW corrected the problem with new rims and were understanding. I hate vibration, even the smallest one on the highway at a certain speed band sucks the joy out of driving an expensive car like this one. Its not acceptable for BMW to send out cars like this and they are doing it more than other companies which puts my trust in them at a new low.
Which wheels are you referring to? My F10 535d has standard 18" and the car is exceptionally smooth at all speeds.
I quite agree that any vibration, ex factory and not user or incident induced, is completely unacceptable for cars in this price bracket.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #25
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

IT was the standard 18 inch Style 237.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #26
Expatmarais
France
Rep
Drives: f10 535d MSport

Lightbulb

Hi, I read this thread with interest.
Took delivery of my 535d MSport in July and have since returned to dealer 4 times for what seemed like a wheel balance problem and was present from start. My dealer (BMW Fournier in the southern Paris region) has been v understanding (to be expected on a car worth over €70K) and has checked, rechecked balance and geometry without any improvement. Acc to my dealer who has also posted on intenral troubleshooting site with BMW HQ in Munich, the problem is not a wheelbalance but a known defect with spec and configuration. MSport trim in France runs on Continental SS 18'' run flats. This is causing some 'incompatibility with the drivetrain and BMW factory are aware'. My car is returning for 5th time for a complete tyre and alloy wheel change to see if this helps although BMW Munich are advising of a drivetrain problem to which they have not yet found an acceptable solution.
I have to say the service and reactivity of my delaer and therefore BMW is v good. Trouble is I am driving a 250kmph car that from 70kmph starts to wobble and shake through the seat and accelerator... really not satisfactory. I was reassured to find this thread and now know that it isn't just me and my driving... My dealer tells me that subsequently he has had 4 more clients of 535d or 530d with differing trim specs and wheel specs that all report the same problem. Workshop have driven most and confirm exact same effects as described above. I will keep you informed. On BMW forums in France this problem is becoming increasingly spoken about and so getting my dealer to accept to finance experimental changes to tyres/wheel s has been relatively easy. Blogger in Finland, you should ask your dealer to google 'vibrations train roulant f10' and soon you'll see you are not alone. I'll keep you updated on progress.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #27
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep

Let me know if the vibration goes away in the seat when you change out the 18 inch wheels to another size or type. I know this is a big issue stateside with those and the drivetrain issue is being brought into consideration. This is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 12:11 AM   #28
Chrisr111
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

I took friends to dinner tonight and my wife and friends all noticed the shake at 70. I made it a point not to mention anything thinking that I was just being a little OCD. I have to say, I am totally fired up that this is taking place on a $60K vehicle. I really hate to bring in a car with 200 miles on it to be fixed (hopefully). I passed up a 2008 M5 to buy this car so that I could avoid dealing with maintance issues. I just can't believe that this is actually happening. To top it off, I have never heard from the dealer once for a follow up to the sale. What's going on with BMW?? By the way, y car pulls to the right big time at almost any speed. I have almost no time to deal with this this. That's why I bought a new BMW vs. a used model.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #29
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep

Chisr, what version do you have and what wheels do you have? Was the shake in the seat back and headrest on the highway? Yes its a bit annoying and you are not at all being OCD. Its noticeable. Mines was a bigger issue prior to getting the bent wheels replaced after they were defective from factory. Have the dealer really inspect each wheel and do a Hunter road force balancing to detect bad tire as I also had 1 defective tire from the factory. Its really that bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #30
Moderatelyok
Registered
Rep
Drives: F11 520D

I have exactly the same issue as the OP. I'm in Helsinki, and the dealer so far has tried rebalancing all wheels 3 times, and just recently applied what they say is the latest software release.
The car is an F11 520D sport auto, on standard 17" rims with Pirelli run flats.
For some reason they seem reluctant to try swapping the wheels, and now have stopped responding to me altogether. I think they've run out of ideas.
I'm English and don't speak Finnish so that might have something to do with it.
Anyway, it isn't a wheel balance problem, nor an after market wheel issue, and as far as i can see affects several kinds of rim/ tyre combinations.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 11:23 PM   #31
Chrisr111
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

I have the Standard 18" wheels. Replaced a tire and did an alignment but same thing. I have had no time to bring it back in but will do so in the next week or so. I called the SA about 5 miles after picking up the car from service and let him know that the issues are still there. I love the car but really do not want to deal with this. Are the 19" sport rims/ tires better? I see on the forums that they have issues with bubbles. The pulling issue on my car is present at almost any speed, slow or fast.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #32
Expatmarais
France
Rep

Hi, i'm still reading these posts with interest as my own situation is starting to drive me crazy! Thought it would be helpful to update in case you want to advise your own dealerships to try the following - as it hasn't worked in my case...
My dealer continues to be v supportive in fact even more so since the head of the workshop and a salesman both have the same problem with their vehicles (both 530D with 18'' running continental ssc 3 run flats - as per mine)
There is a great deal of interest and my car is being used as the dummy to find solutions for the now 6 owners of vehicles supplied by the same dealership with same pbm. After logging pbm on PUMA, factory suggested swapping out my M Sport Alloys for a different model of 18'' wheel (it has 10-12 spokes) and equipping with summer Dunlop 245/65 R18 front and back instead of the larger rear vs front configuration I had previously. The summer Dunlops were out of stock and so they had a trial run with Michelins of same size. Although the initial effect felt better they were somewhat alarmed when the vibrations appeared all of a sudden and on inspection of rear nearside tyre is was extremely hot to the touch to the point that discolouring to a blue bruising on tyre wall.

In the meantime the Dunlops still haven't come in and they've had my vehicle for 10 days trying various tests (not sure what to be honest). I am due to move to winter tyres shortly and so they had an idea to equip me already and try another different model of alloy but same size as above. I have Dunlop Winter Sport 3D in above size and driving away from dealership 2 nights ago i was in a different car. Smooth. composed. Not a hint of vibration. A pull to the right has appeared however and this is documented elsewhere on this forum.
Interestingly I stopped for fuel as was completely empty. Filled up 80 litres (80kg) of weight and guess what? Not only has the vibration come back, but it starts at around 60kmph now. By 110 (111 to be exact) it's a shudder and is worse if anything. Seat, headrest, accelerator and steering to answer your q Baloo588.
All reported following day to dealership and helpful for them to know that additional weight in car over rear axle is having an effect. Car goes back in tomorrow for the summer dunlop test and since in the meantime another PUMA log has been made, response from Factory has been to check tension ° in a number of wheel and suspension components - which they will also perform tomorrow. i will of course keep you updated. I love this car - it's getting so fast now i've got 6K on the clock, but driving me totally mad as Chrisr111 said its like OCD. Anyone got any other suggestions i can ask my dealer to try? I'm aware I must start to sound like a lunatic...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #33
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep

Expatmarais,

Excellent followup here. I noticed small vibration or sometimes shudder feel in both driver and passenger seat and headrest depending on load and pressure that varies on my 18 inch wheels and tires on certain highways (70-75 mph or so). Even on smooth paved tarmacs, its feels like ripples are in the road. I go faster than 80 its smooth or slow below 70 mph its smooth no matter what highway I am driving on. If the road is flat and cement type, vibration is minimized greatly in 70-75 mph zone (110 to 125 kmph). Please do let me know what they find with the suspension or rear axle. I am going nuts with this too and feel crazy sometimes. The wheels are road force balanced very well. I love the car too but if its not resolved soon, I will say bye bye to this one and move to Audi or back to Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #34
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep

Follow up,

I drove a new 2011 BMW 535i xdrive with 18 inch Goodyear LS2 runflat tires and the car was very smooth at all speeds. I had another one like this as a loaner and it was perfect. I currently went through 2 sets of non run flat tires with a small vibration in the rear and I am fed up. I am having my dealer mount the 4 wheels/tires from their demo cars with the 18 inch rims and goodyear runflats onto my car. That way I can stick with this set and they can mount mines on their own car and replace the tires with the standard runflats.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #35
Expatmarais
France
Rep

Thanks Baloo588 it certainly seems brand of tyre makes for a v different experience.
Just picked up car at dealer. They are rather pleased with themselves..
PUMA log came back with suggestion to mount 19'' run flats from Michelin.
they had none in stock but pinched some from a 6/7 series.
I have not driven car but apparently they drove 20km on motorway with No signs of a wobble and they have ordered the tyres and are waiting for me to choose a wheel design.
This afternoon my summer dunlops came in and have been mounted on my original MSport 18'' wheels in meantime.
Guess what? That was a pretty decent improvement too.
I asked that they leave on the 18'' as i'm thinking they'll be more comfortable on motorway, but BMW France have agreed to give me the 19'' and michelins in return for my existing set. No extra charge.
Should i take the 19'' not having tried them myself or stick to the dunlops which are 90% there??

Dont even mention winter options though. there are none as 19'' winter is a waste of time i expect and so its wobble wobble on the dunlop winter version if i want. Those i have to pay for however.

What would you do?

BTW last thing, i had the workshop manager's 520d with 18'' as a courtesy car. It was even worse then mine...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #36
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep

I agree that tire/wheel set makes a difference. Do not take the 19 inch unless you are 100% statisfied and drove with it on the highways for at least 20-30 miles in different speed zones. As you mentioned, the 18 inch with the summer dunlops are a big improvement for you so I would stick with them for now until you are sure that you prefer the 18 inch msport setup. Have them refine the balance on the dunlops to be sure its 100% good. The 19 inch with michelins are also very good but will have more road feel and depends on the comfort level you are looking for. Overall, continental runflats are the worse and cause vibration in most of the 5s I drive. I will be getting the goodyears with the 18 inch wheels mounted from a car that I drove with no vibration onto my own car next week Tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:37 AM   #37
Expatmarais
France
Rep

Thanks for the advice Baloo 588. So sounds like we both end the week with a possible solution - after considerable too-ing and fro-ing to BMW. I will ask about the Goodyears you mention. I suspect they are not as readily available in europe as in US. But it would appear for now that Dunlops should resolve the issue. Keep us informed once you have the set up modified on your vehicle. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #38
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep

Hi,

Yes. Its good to know that we are not alone in this. BMW is a great company and the 5 series is an amazing car. The goodyears ls2 runflats are made in Germany and are all season tires and do very well in snow if you get snow during the winter time. I drove one with this tire last February in a snowstorm in Michigan and they performed amazing.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....LS-2+RunOnFlat
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #39
Expatmarais
France
Rep

Thanks for the advice. So i have a further update. The Dunlops vibrate just as much after a while and rather more worryingly are v slip slidy in the wet - in fact the power is awsome as the engine is loosening up and i managed to spin the wheels at 70mph on the motorway - it was v wet but the tail is slipping out as low as 40mph in town - a novel experience i have to say. ;-))

Dealer has ordered the 19" solution so I'm going down that route for now.
let you know how i get on.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #40
Expatmarais
France
Rep

Final update on this.
BMW France have replaced my 18'' m sport alloys with the 19'' m sport.
Fronts 245/40 R19
Rears 273/35 R19
Tyre: Michelin primacy HD
Problem solved.
It was worth persevering.
:-)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #41
ajherran
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

The things that turn are the only things that would cause a vibration - wheels and driveshaft. The wheels are most likely the culprit. Take the car to a person who has a very good balancer machine so they can index and balance the wheels.

Last edited by ajherran; 11-02-2011 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #42
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep

Update too!
I got 4 new Goodyear Eagle LS2 on my 18 inch rims and road forced to spec,
These BMW are sensitive to bad tires (continentals or dunlops) and even bad rims (in which I had 4 out of round rims back in Jan of this year).
Vibration gone!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #43
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajherran View Post
The things that turn are the only things that would cause a vibration - wheel
Not necessarily so. That is 90% or so of the time. Bad hub runout, axle, driveshaft, worn out bushings and struts all cause vibration.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #44
Expatmarais
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo588 View Post
Update too!
I got 4 new Goodyear Eagle LS2 on my 18 inch rims and road forced to spec,
These BMW are sensitive to bad tires (continentals or dunlops) and even bad rims (in which I had 4 out of round rims back in Jan of this year).
Vibration gone!
Yeah! Happy for you too!
Begs the question.... What will you use in winter?
Appreciate 0