2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding F10 6NR BMW APPS Retrofit by Patrys - Post September Build Complete

02-08-2012, 01:09 AM   #45
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Comp. Ed.

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
The video bit is quite evident in the photos attached in the first post of this thread. I think this may have more to do with the unusually wide aspect ratio of the 10" screen, perhaps video will look better on the 7'? But I guess when you spend $500+ on a feature you would want it to be perfect in every sense. It is still disappointing that in this age where portable video is so much more advanced and commonly available (cell phones, tablets, handheld gaming consoles etc) we are still running into these limitations on such a high-end car. What would be interesting is to hear from Audi and MB owners with iPod video feature and find out how it is displayed in those vehicles.
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S (retired)
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #46
Sharbotcom
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobileum View Post
From Bimmer-tech, but the video size is the same with OEM.
Thanks.
      02-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #47
Iwan M
Rep
Drives: E90

Hi guys - Have to admit that I don't own an F10 but I do have a Bimmer though so hope I can get some advice here

I have a media snap-in adapter with all the options needed to run apps and plug-in. When I have only my iPhone 4S in the cradle I can play both music and video files using either the plugin in external devices or through the connected drive menu. One flaw I have noticed is that music will intermittently stop playing when I have the connected App open on the iPhone while using the plugin - seems like a bug?

Anyway - my main question - I also have an USB/ Aux option in the armrest. I have an IPod classic connected to this USB port and it works like a charm. However, having both the IPod connected to USB and the iPhone connected through the cradle causes a conflict which ultimately causes the cradle to fail. The cradle will not charge the IPhone, nor will it connect to the iPhone.

Is this a known bug, or perhaps not even a bug but a known restriction? According to my BMW dealer (whom I just took delivery from) the pair of them can not coexist and work together which for me raises the question as to why the USB port was made available in the first place?

If the combo IPod/ iPhone does't work per design is there another combination that will work? I have a lossless format music collection of 140GB and neither the IPhone nor the internal HDD of the CIC cater for my needs.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion to get this working one way or the other.

Cheers - Iwan
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 03:31 AM   #48
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Has anyone managed to retrofit the BMW Apps and the Bimmer-tech solution to bypass the media cradle and enable iPod video through the white Apple cable on a 7" screen, without the Professional Nav option installed??
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 03:51 AM   #49
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

I did get a quote from Bimmer-tech to use the USB and aux socket instead of the Media cradle but it wasn't cheap and as the car is Brand new I was a bit worried about the warranty if I changed it. So I bought a second hand 32G 3GS iphone and a Media cradle from ebay for the same price as the modification. - I will just leave the phone in the cradle for the BMW apps and use my Android phone for normal phone calls. This solves the issue of having to keep restarting the the BMW connected app after every phone call.

Don't know what the modification involved whether it was just a new socket and wiring loom or whether there is a board of electronics as well. But apparently if you do the mod it disables the cradle. This way I have the cradle and the USB and Aux sockets. (But from memory if you plug into the Aux socket it disables the cradle for sound)

Potentially if BMW do ever release any apps for other phones such as Android then the modification would probably be a better bet. Have to wait and see.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #50
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwan M View Post
Hi guys - Have to admit that I don't own an F10 but I do have a Bimmer though so hope I can get some advice here

I have a media snap-in adapter with all the options needed to run apps and plug-in. When I have only my iPhone 4S in the cradle I can play both music and video files using either the plugin in external devices or through the connected drive menu. One flaw I have noticed is that music will intermittently stop playing when I have the connected App open on the iPhone while using the plugin - seems like a bug?

Anyway - my main question - I also have an USB/ Aux option in the armrest. I have an IPod classic connected to this USB port and it works like a charm. However, having both the IPod connected to USB and the iPhone connected through the cradle causes a conflict which ultimately causes the cradle to fail. The cradle will not charge the IPhone, nor will it connect to the iPhone.

Is this a known bug, or perhaps not even a bug but a known restriction? According to my BMW dealer (whom I just took delivery from) the pair of them can not coexist and work together which for me raises the question as to why the USB port was made available in the first place?

If the combo IPod/ iPhone does't work per design is there another combination that will work? I have a lossless format music collection of 140GB and neither the IPhone nor the internal HDD of the CIC cater for my needs.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion to get this working one way or the other.

Cheers - Iwan
I have the same setup, but I am sure my Iphone 4 charges with no problems, i.e. with my ipod classic always connected via the usb using the apple cable.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #51
CamelRyda
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 528xi

My iPhone does everything with the cradle from music all the way to Netflix. How do I make it work with the USB instead of the cradle?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 02:49 AM   #52
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Send Patrys a PM or email with your VIN and requirement, thats apparently the best way to get his attention.
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #53
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I am here if you need any help, but sending us an email with your VIN at info@bimmer-tech.net is the best way to get answers and quotes.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 12:29 AM   #54
steph065143
Registered
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 532i

Hi, I am new here, I want to ask whether my car can be fix with 6nr application which can be connected to my iphone. I am from Malaysia and i just bought my car 523i in Jan 2012 which wasn't fix with 6nr application. I called the dealer and they can't give me the answer if the application can be placed in my car Guess the technology moves like SNAIL in Malaysia.

It is only the software installation, isn't it??

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 03:15 AM   #55
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

First - Welcome to the Forum.

You don't say whether you bought a new or used car and what spec/options are fitted. Most things are possible some just cost a bit more than others. Your best bet is to drop Patryk from BimmerTech an email with you VIN (See the post just above yours) and he will be able to help you with a price
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 03:56 AM   #56
jappie911
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530d F10

Hi, new car..

Hi,

Just registered, because yesterday I bought a f10 530d, coming form a e61 535d..

It's a very loaded car, HUD, Nappa, sunroof, Proff audio, Proff nav.,Active steering, active cruise contrl, etc..

However it must be one off the first produced f10, because build date is 7 jan 2010! (it was a factory demo also..) But i have 2 year warranty etc. so very happy with it.. Saphire/Oyster/black..!

However it has no 6NR and no Combox, what I have understand after reading this forum..

I am curious what I can do, and what I can not do on the infotainment side.

It has the following options, according to the options list I got:

677 HIFI system Proff.
633 Prep. Mob. Ph. Business Bleutooth interf.
6FL USB/ Audio Interface
6NF EXT. con. of the music play. I. Mobilph.
609 Navi Proff.
620 Voice input system.
614 Internet

(and to make the list not to long here, but also: bmw teleservice/control teleservice/bmw assist/bmw online/erweit. bmw online info.)

I do not want to add cablebooms etc.

So I assume I just can use my Iphone 4s, as a normal bleutooth carkit, but can I control things then from the dash/idrive/steeringwheel?

Does It has to be in the armrest? I am used to put it just on the dash.

And on the music site, I can use the harddisk I saw, and also put an Ipod in the armrest? And controlling that on the dash/idrive?

That's right isn't it?

I understand I can not use facebook, twitter, etc. no problem, but what about those pictures of albums playing ?

Please let me know what extra gadgets I can use on audio/video/iphone with this config?

Thanks in advance !

Last edited by jappie911; 04-27-2012 at 03:59 AM.. Reason: spelling..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #57
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jappie911 View Post
Hi,

Just registered, because yesterday I bought a f10 530d, coming form a e61 535d..

It's a very loaded car, HUD, Nappa, sunroof, Proff audio, Proff nav.,Active steering, active cruise contrl, etc..

However it must be one off the first produced f10, because build date is 7 jan 2010! (it was a factory demo also..) But i have 2 year warranty etc. so very happy with it.. Saphire/Oyster/black..!

However it has no 6NR and no Combox, what I have understand after reading this forum..

I am curious what I can do, and what I can not do on the infotainment side.

It has the following options, according to the options list I got:

677 HIFI system Proff.
633 Prep. Mob. Ph. Business Bleutooth interf.
6FL USB/ Audio Interface
6NF EXT. con. of the music play. I. Mobilph.
609 Navi Proff.
620 Voice input system.
614 Internet

(and to make the list not to long here, but also: bmw teleservice/control teleservice/bmw assist/bmw online/erweit. bmw online info.)

I do not want to add cablebooms etc.

So I assume I just can use my Iphone 4s, as a normal bleutooth carkit, but can I control things then from the dash/idrive/steeringwheel?

Does It has to be in the armrest? I am used to put it just on the dash.

And on the music site, I can use the harddisk I saw, and also put an Ipod in the armrest? And controlling that on the dash/idrive?

That's right isn't it?

I understand I can not use facebook, twitter, etc. no problem, but what about those pictures of albums playing ?

Please let me know what extra gadgets I can use on audio/video/iphone with this config?

Thanks in advance !
I would be happy to help you with the 6NR but please send us your VIN at info@bimmer-tech.net first.
I will check how we can retrofit the new features and get back to you by email.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #58
IOVSI76
Registered
Rep
Drives: f10

Hi everyone,
I just want to share my last retrofit in my 520d f10 december 2010 built.
What I did is a complete retrofit of options 6NR and 6NF, all this has been possible with the great knowledge and help of the guys of bummer-tech, and in particular of Patryk who has been taking very good care of me throughout the all process. If you ever think on retrofitting your bimmer I can't think of anyone but Patryk who, in my opinion, knows the iDrive/CIC way better than BMW personnel( for what my experience has been here in Italy).
Thank you Patryk thank you bummer-tech http://f10.5post.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbup.gif
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #59
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOVSI76 View Post
Hi everyone,
What I did is a complete retrofit of options 6NR and 6NF, all this has been possible with the great knowledge and help of the guys of bummer-tech, and in particular of Patryk who has been taking very good care of me throughout the all process. If you ever think on retrofitting your bimmer I can't think of anyone but Patryk who, in my opinion, knows the iDrive/CIC way better than BMW personnel( for what my experience has been here in Italy).
Thank you Patryk thank you bummer-tech http://f10.5post.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbup.gif
Full 6NF can be retrofitted, or are you referring to 6NR with the PlugIn and Video mod?

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 02:28 PM   #60
IOVSI76
Registered
Rep
Drives: f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Full 6NF can be retrofitted, or are you referring to 6NR with the PlugIn and Video mod?
I do confirm had the full 6NF via new baseplate and snap in media done by Patryk!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #61
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOVSI76 View Post
Hi everyone,
Thank you for your feedback!

The car had just a standard cradle that could charge the phone and nothing more. This retrofit included the full 6NF and 6NR ConnectedDrive options.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #62
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelRyda View Post
My iPhone does everything with the cradle from music all the way to Netflix. How do I make it work with the USB instead of the cradle?
Hey, i just got the cradle, how do you get Netflix to play through the screen?

I start playing a movie on my phone and 90% of the time the video doesn't play and the other 10% of the time the video starts displaying on the Idrive screen but then the display screen changes to the iPod screen after 5 seconds of video.

Can you walk me through?

PS I am parked when trying to get the video to work.

Last edited by StatenEye; 06-04-2012 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #63
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye 335i View Post
Hey, i just got the cradle, how do you get Netflix to play through the screen?

PS I am parked when trying to get the video to work.
Scared me there for a bit.
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #64
joafog
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 535D F11

Hi

I have installed the retrofit Combox kit from Bimmertech without any problems in my BMW F10/F11. Now I have bought the USB and 6NR retrofit kit (Bimmertech). I have installed the USB/ AV-In connector but I do not know where the two wirings from AV (blue and white) will be connected? Is it on the Combox? What pins?
I do not get in contact with Patryk that is why I ask here

Please help
Joacim
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #65
joafog
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 535D F11

Now I have installed the 6FL and 6NR options from BimmerTech. Everythings seems to work except video
I have the sound from the video in my car, but no picture???
It worked once, after I had tryed a lot of times with different things (do not know what) but now I cannot see the picture at all. What could be the problem?.

Joacim
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #66
renedivx
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by joafog View Post
Now I have installed the 6FL and 6NR options from BimmerTech. Everythings seems to work except video
I have the sound from the video in my car, but no picture???
It worked once, after I had tryed a lot of times with different things (do not know what) but now I cannot see the picture at all. What could be the problem?.

Joacim
Hello

I have the same problem like you. have you solve it. Can you help me there?

Thank you very much.
Best regards rene
Appreciate 0