2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding F10 6NR BMW APPS Retrofit by Patrys - Post September Build Complete

10-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
stevem12t2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i

F10 6NR BMW APPS Retrofit by Patrys - Post September Build Complete

Hello Everyone! I am proud to say that with the help of the guys at BimmerTech info@bimmer-tech.net, we have successfully retrofit my 2011 F10 (Late Sep 2011 Build) with the full 6NR integration.

I do NOT have an iPhone. I am using an iPod Touch 4th Gen 64GB. The device is jailbroken to allow for Cydia in order to purchase the 4.99 app iBluever with On Demand. The Blackberry Torch 9800 that I have uses PDANET enabling the Bluetooth DUN, turning off Bluetooth on the iPod and using iBluever to connect to the Blackberry using its own Bluetooth communication. When not in a Wi-Fi zone, iBluever takes over and automatically jumps on the 3G enabled Blackberry for internet connectivity. The blackberry will say Modem Enabled at the top and be fully tethered to the iPod without pressing any buttons on either device. Once they are paired and On Demand is enabled in iBluever the rest is automatic. The connection also drops if the iPod senses or reaches a Wi-Fi area automatically. The apps below (that even require internet connectivity such as Pandora) never skip a beat during the switch over form Wi-Fi to 3G from the Berry and back to Wi-Fi.

Turning off the car the iPod is paused on whatever it is playing then getting out of the car and taking the blackberry with me the Bluetooth connection will eventually drop from the iPod, then returning to the car BT is auto-connected and iBluever On Demand brings up the 3G connection to the iPod once again. Then starting the car the iPod resumes right where it left off.

I also have this Blackberry connected to the car for Audio and Phone capabilities. A call pauses the iPod and hanging up resumes as you would expect. Also the Blackberry can handle the Bluetooth DUN connection to the iPod and the car at the same time for different services of course. The services for the Car from the Blackberry are Audio Sync, email messages, phonebook, calls etc. while the Bluetooth DUN connection enables for simply modem capabilities for the iPod. Therefore both Bluetooth devices can be connected to the Berry at the same time.

For those of you that want the flexibility of having the Full Office integration into the car, the Blackberry is the way to go here. It also allows for running your SlackerRadio, iHeartRadio, YouTube videos, Nobex radio and so on via Bluetooth audio. The iPod then handles the BMW Apps, web radio, music collections, video collections, and full iDrive compatible Pandora streaming without having to plug in and out your iPhone constantly when getting in and out of the car every day. Simply leave the iPod connected. Take your Berry and go, then return again for some more!!!
  1. A quick email to Patryk with the VIN allowed him to generate a quote and provide me with the information needed to perform this retrofit.
  2. I took a visit to the dealer for a software update (** BUT THE GUYS AT BimmerTech CAN NOW ALSO DO THIS REMOTELY NOW!!!**) as my current CIC software was as build in mid September 2010. An upgrade request to March 2011 was requested as it was believed to be that the basic iPod integration of my car would be fixed. (If playing an iPod playlist, turning off the car, leaving, returning to the car, the playlist continued on the last song played however looking at the list of music yielded improper results for track names and list. A jog over to "Current Playlist" brought the proper info over but was a bug. I explained that a CIC software update to March 2011 software would fix the problem). The issue remained but the software was now in accordance for the retrofit
  3. Patryk Promptly sent the required usb module, cabling and instructions.
  4. I completed the install from the information he provided and was a snap. Took about 3 hours of my time to install because i was very cautious, spent time cleaning and interest got me curious at several things on the way.
  5. Patryk remotely coded the vehicle enabling the 6NR integration in no time at all, disabled the NAV warning screen every time starting the car, and coding the side mirrors to fold upon a 2-3 second hold of the lock button. A simple hold of the lock button just locks the doors and if desired a hold will fold up the mirrors and unfold the moment the car is unlocked. In my case by grabbing for the handle the car unlocks and mirrors unfold with the keyless option.

Launching the BMW remote app (Free from Apple iTunes Store) will allow in ConnectedDrive to display Facebook, Twitter, Web Radio, and Calendar (Default calendar on iPod/iPhone will be displayed here. Not all Calendars on the device).

Launching Pandora from the iPod/iPhone will display the Pandora App in the same ConnectedDrive menu. Thumb up/down songs, set favorites, browse your stations etc.

From the ConnectedDrive menu you can also choose a much more user friendly view of the device called BMW Plugin. Plugin has some very nice features such as a quick playlist shuffle, use of your genius mixes, playlists, podcasts, and so on. A very nice feature is simply holding down the iDrive knob on any song playing in the current playback to show options for Artist, and best of all starting a new Genius mix from that song. Simply find a song for your mood and then hold down the iDrive knob and select start genius and you've got a new playlist of tunes similar to that one...

If you want to play video, goto CD external devices and find your cradled iPod icon (With Patryks retrofit NO CRADLE IS REQUIRED>>>ALL of these functions are enabled from the USB/Video jack that was replaced from the old USB/Aux module) select the video from the dropdown and find your content... podcasts, music videos, downloaded movies, or TV shows, etc.

Patryk, I can't thank you enough for making all of this happen, especially since a Retrofit is said to be not possible from BMW for Cars produced prior to march for the F10 and April for the X6.

Again no serious equipment is needed to be installed for those vehicles from Mid-September 2010 and onward. The Combox, CIC and all needed parts are their if you have the required options. If not Patryk can get you there as well.

[u2b][/u2b]
Attached Images

Last edited by stevem12t2; 10-04-2011 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Looks cool. Patryk also help me at USB (6FL) to my 528i. Great guy to work with.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
MEN@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW G11

stevem12t2

I am glad that you liked my work. I see all works well.

I am glad that you are happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
Looks cool. Patryk also help me at USB (6FL) to my 528i. Great guy to work with.
What you interests?

We have made retrofit which you see above.

I can make access CIC in Internet BMW E and F series

Last edited by MEN@BimmerTech; 10-04-2011 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
mkossler
Matty K.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

So, to clarify this for the non-technical in the audience (not that anyone here would admit to that):

You have used an iPod touch that is tethered to an external wi-fi source (and apparently, alternatively an USB based tether via PDANet) to be the source for BMW apps and for video playback. Your car, which did not have the 6NR package, was retrofitted courtesy of Patryk. Because we can pair and connect multiple devices via Bluetooth to our F10's, it is possible to handle the "Plugin" connectivity for videos, etc. through the iPod Touch, while handling the "Office" functions through a Blackberry.

Is that a fair summary?

Cheers -

Matty K.
      10-05-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
stevem12t2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkossler View Post
So, to clarify this for the non-technical in the audience (not that anyone here would admit to that):

You have used an iPod touch that is tethered to an external wi-fi source (and apparently, alternatively an USB based tether via PDANet) to be the source for BMW apps and for video playback. Your car, which did not have the 6NR package, was retrofitted courtesy of Patryk. Because we can pair and connect multiple devices via Bluetooth to our F10's, it is possible to handle the "Plugin" connectivity for videos, etc. through the iPod Touch, while handling the "Office" functions through a Blackberry.

Is that a fair summary?

Cheers -

Matty K.
The ipod is tethered using iBluever an app you can download from Cydia if you performed the jailbreaking of the device. The blackberry is running an app called PDANet which allows for devices such as the ipod touch to tether via Bluetooth DUN. There is no wifi signal involved here for that connection. What i mean to say is that if you come into a wifi in range like maybe your home, that bluetooth connection for tethering will be dropped and the wifi will take over from there for the internet.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
mkossler
Matty K.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I already have 6NR, but I want to use an iPod touch tethered to an EVO that I have jailbroken and which is a wireless hotspot in infrastructure mode (which is required for IOS devices, no ad hoc wi-fi). Sounds like I should be in business.
      10-06-2011, 06:44 AM   #7
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

The Internet and BMW Live are now available in the F-series
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594459
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 01:21 AM   #8
patrickaerts
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d 02/2011

Talking 6NR retrofit complete

Hy ...

Just dropping a line from Brussels to thank Patryk for the successful retrofit of 6NR + internet in my BMW 520 (02/2011).. yes the car was build on 02/2011, still retrofit was possible. (I tought it was only after 03/2011 but maybe european market is different... )

The coding has been done remote.. (the car was in my garage).
I had to admit that it was a bit scary to give remote access and trust a "stranger", but everything went as he had told me...

Small problem with internet connectivity after the update, but Patryk give me extremely quick response, and it appeared to be a tethering problem with my Iphone. Tried with another Iphone and internet was there....

So if someone runs into this internet problem, here is what I tried.

(My Iphone 4 (IOS 5.0) only accepts tethering when the tethering settings page is on the display and drops the connection when back to home screen.
The other phone (also Iphone4, IO 5.0) does not have any problem..
I used another phone when Patryk told me: this must be a problem with my Iphone...

Many thanks to Patryk and Men at bimmertech.

And, if someone want more details, do not hesitate top contact me...

Patrick
Brussels
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 03:33 AM   #9
Mobileum
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F10

I did it too. Excellent to work with Patryk. The only problem I had was not related to the installation, but I couldn’t get it to work after the installation was done. It was on and off for three days. Finally, it worked! There was a problem with the BMW servers, and the same thing happened all over Europe according to a BMW spokesman.

My setup: I use a Blackberry for the Office-functions and in-car phone. That phone is hidden in the boot and transfer via Bluetooth. In the center console, I have an iPod touch connected to the USB. The iPod runs the BMW Connected App, and is tethered over Bluetooth to my iPhone in my pocket. I can watch videos, music, etc. and BMW Apps, BMW Online, BMW Internet, and BMW Live from the tethered Touch.

Patryk is an expert. He is very responsive and know his stuff. My car was produced 09/2010, and the 6NR function is now implemented without changing the Combox. The installation was fairly easy, and took me 2 hours.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
robgus
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M AW -12

Did you do the hardware install yourself? How long did it take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickaerts View Post
Hy ...

Just dropping a line from Brussels to thank Patryk for the successful retrofit of 6NR + internet in my BMW 520 (02/2011).. yes the car was build on 02/2011, still retrofit was possible. (I tought it was only after 03/2011 but maybe european market is different... )

The coding has been done remote.. (the car was in my garage).
I had to admit that it was a bit scary to give remote access and trust a "stranger", but everything went as he had told me...

Small problem with internet connectivity after the update, but Patryk give me extremely quick response, and it appeared to be a tethering problem with my Iphone. Tried with another Iphone and internet was there....

So if someone runs into this internet problem, here is what I tried.

(My Iphone 4 (IOS 5.0) only accepts tethering when the tethering settings page is on the display and drops the connection when back to home screen.
The other phone (also Iphone4, IO 5.0) does not have any problem..
I used another phone when Patryk told me: this must be a problem with my Iphone...

Many thanks to Patryk and Men at bimmertech.

And, if someone want more details, do not hesitate top contact me...

Patrick
Brussels
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #11
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Thank you guys for your positive feedback
It was a pleasure to work with you!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
elie06
Enlisted Member
France
Rep
Drives: F10 - 523i - Spacegrey 10/2010

An amazing State of the Art Performance from Patryk !

Hi,

I just had my car updated by Patryk and it was a real pleasure working with him.

My F10 is a Sept 10 build and had to be updated to be able to get the 6NR mod.

He was able to answer my many questions before the installation and he has a very deep understanding of the BMW system because ha was able to provide advise on issues that were not directly related to the 6NR.

I got the parts needed for the video enabling with no problems and he was able to help me with some tricky installation issues since it was the first time i had to to take out the very delicate parts of my car.

I had some battery draining issue because my battery charger was not powerful enough to support the drainage during the 2 part coding (CIC and then Combox) but Patryk was very patient and helpful during the whole process.

(Note: Make sure to have a good battery charger or use the battery from another running car as a charger)

In the end everything is working like a charm and i cannot thank Patryk enough for his outstanding work !

I recommend him to all of You fellow Bimmers !

Regards,

Elie

P.S : here's some extra info to make the event even more memorable

1°/ I'm based in the French Riviera and the updating and coding was done remotely from Poland without a hitch.

2°/ My brother had a full CIC retrofit for his E92 M3 and we had decided to do the coding and installation on the same day

Patryk was able to code both cars at the same time jumping from one to the other (while we installed stuff and solved the battery issue), which i find amazing because the cars use different connection cables and i guess different coding programs !!!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #13
tonesf10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: black on black f10 535i Xdrive

Looking into getting his done as well on my 2011 F10 535xi. Any interesting issues i should be aware of?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 02:28 AM   #14
kaddu
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i (F10)

Patryk, where do you install in NorCal ? want to discuss this project for my Aug 11 build, 2011 528i
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 04:45 AM   #15
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaddu View Post
Patryk, where do you install in NorCal ? want to discuss this project for my Aug 11 build, 2011 528i
It's Fremont, CA.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #16
rmastale
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i MSport, F15 X5 MSport

is this one of those things that you need a later build f10 to achieve? I have a June 2010 build which j understand is the older combox... It doesn't really big me but the screenshots by the OP look cool.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

My New F11 is due next week and I'm trying to get everything ready. I think the best solution is using the iPod with Wi-Fi fed from a Mi-Fi for the Music and apps and leaving my phone for phone use.

Sharing the same signal from the phone to feed the iPod using either bluetooth or Wi-Fi would work but when you are in a 2G area and the iPod is using data the phone is seen as busy/in use and anyone calling you gets transferred to answer phone.

This leaves the problem of how to interface to the iPod. As I understand using the iPod connected to the USB and the Aux does not give all the features such as video. Using the iPod Snap-in also doesn't work with all the features (probably designed before the media features). I have read that it is possible to use the iPhone Media adapter with the iPod and it works electronically but the iPod needs to be blocked into the adapter to hold it in place. (Someone has apparently made a specially shaped wooden block to fit to his iPod to allow it to fit in the iPhone 4 Media adapter). So either I need purchase the iPhone Media Snap-in and then find someone supply an adapter for the iPod or to make one myself.
Or
At the beginning of this Thread Steve's says that with Patrys's Upgrade he could connect his iPod without a cradle/snap-in and it connects to the USB/Video socket which replaced the USB Aux socket. Is this a BMW part or is it something that Patrys has made. Presumably there is some wiring loom involved. Does anyone have any info or pictures?
I'll also drop an email to Patrys and update you if I learn anything.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #18
Mobileum
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F10

Check this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iPhone-Adapt.../dp/B004E5J61G
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #19
jeroguz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Help!!

So if I have an iPhone 4gs and an iPod touch...
Usually the touch is always plugged to the car and I use the iPhone to stream pandora wih bluetooth audio.
This are my questions.
1 After the retrofit I can get rid of the iPod and just put the phone on the craddle?
2 whAt is the Bluetooth audio is it gonna be good for after the retrofit?
3 can I watch DVD movies as well with the retrofit?
4 any disadvantages on having an iPhone and not a bb or an iPod that is jaibrake?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #20
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobileum View Post
I don't think that is the right cable for his new F11, which should have the Combox, as that cable:

"Replaces BMW Part #61120440796 or 61120440812".

I am not sure what the difference is, but #61120440812 is for non-Combox vehicles and #61122179623 is the cable for Combox equipped vehicles:

#61120440812:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Genuin...item27c2028d8a

"Not suitable for vehicles with Control for Combox (S6VCA)."

#61122179623:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-In-Car...item27bde526c6

"Only suitable for vehicles with Control for Combox (S6VCA), manufactured from September 2010 on."

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #21
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroguz View Post
...4. any disadvantages on having an iPhone and not a bb or an iPod that is jaibrake?
If your a BB user, having a jail-broken iPod and a Blackberry seems like the best of both worlds, as you get the office function from the BB, and the BMW Apps from the iPod:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593993

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #22
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

Thanks both Mobileum and shawnsheridan

I have spent hours researching this but there seems to be conflicting information. BMW in some of their documentation say you must have a snap-in to play video and in some documentation says that to use the apps you must have a snap-in. No where apart from this thread have I read anywhere about using the Aux input for Video. The lead that shawnsheridan suggests is interesting in that its description is "BMW In-Car iPod/iPhone Audio Video USB Adapter Cable 61122179623" which mentions video, although the description only mentions Audio. Does the video get transferred as video or is it streamed digitally over the USB? Does anyone have both Media/Video and Apps working with an iPod Touch using a cable only and no Snap-in ?

Many Thanks
Appreciate 0