2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Sirius XM Discounted Rate

12-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Sirius XM Discounted Rate

Called Sirius XM to activate my X3 service after the one year freebie from BMW. Guy told me that it would cost $180/year plus music royalty and NJ sales tax. I told him that I had received an offer for $86/year for the renewal- not true. Folks were chatting about the $86 annual renewal offer in an Acura forum- used to regularly visit there. He said he couldn't offer the $86/year fee. I told him I'd be canceling my service, so he transferred me to the cancellation group. Cancellation guy said there was no such offer on my X3. I said I'd be canceling my service then since I know it's available with other manufacturers of cars. He put me on hold and came back and agreed to the $86/year fee + Royalty for music and NJ sales tax; total for year is $103.

I then got the same deal for my son's Honda Accord for the year. I extended the Honda's subscription for 6 months earlier this year so I would have a December anniversary. I let my X3's subscription lapse for 4 days so I could have the exact same anniversary date.

The anniversary for my 5 Series is in October, 2014- and I'll let that lapse for 2 months or pay for 2 months so it'll sync up anniversary dates with the Accord and X3.

Billing with Sirius XM is a nightmare! Do not allow them to auto renew your credit card. Pay the $2 annual fee for calling in once a year to renew.

The discounted annual offer used to be $77/year. I payed that every year per car for 8 years. Need to go through the aforementioned verbal gymnastics each year. I made the mistake of auto renewing the first year and missed out on the discount. Sirius XM is very sneaky with their billing- no email, phone call or any other communication except the full rate fee shows up on one's credit card.

Satellite music quality is mediocre, and with all the HD FM radio stations available, satellite music quality pales in comparison. My wife and I like the variety offered and not having to listen to commercials on the music stations. Sports being available and television news stations are another big plus with satellite radio.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Called Sirius XM to activate my X3 service after the one year freebie from BMW. Guy told me that it would cost $180/year plus music royalty and NJ sales tax. I told him that I had received an offer for $86/year for the renewal- not true. Folks were chatting about the $86 annual renewal offer in an Acura forum- used to regularly visit there. He said he couldn't offer the $86/year fee. I told him I'd be canceling my service, so he transferred me to the cancellation group. Cancellation guy said there was no such offer on my X3. I said I'd be canceling my service then since I know it's available with other manufacturers of cars. He put me on hold and came back and agreed to the $86/year fee + Royalty for music and NJ sales tax; total for year is $103.

I then got the same deal for my son's Honda Accord for the year. I extended the Honda's subscription for 6 months earlier this year so I would have a December anniversary. I let my X3's subscription lapse for 4 days so I could have the exact same anniversary date.

The anniversary for my 5 Series is in October, 2014- and I'll let that lapse for 2 months or pay for 2 months so it'll sync up anniversary dates with the Accord and X3.

Billing with Sirius XM is a nightmare! Do not allow them to auto renew your credit card. Pay the $2 annual fee for calling in once a year to renew.

The discounted annual offer used to be $77/year. I payed that every year per car for 8 years. Need to go through the aforementioned verbal gymnastics each year. I made the mistake of auto renewing the first year and missed out on the discount. Sirius XM is very sneaky with their billing- no email, phone call or any other communication except the full rate fee shows up on one's credit card.

Satellite music quality is mediocre, and with all the HD FM radio stations available, satellite music quality pales in comparison. My wife and I like the variety offered and not having to listen to commercials on the music stations. Sports being available and television news stations are another big plus with satellite radio.

I have been doing the $77 deal (now $86) for years ... +1 to the $2 invoice fee ... otherwise you get totally screwed when they hit your CC for the subscription fee, and then try to back it down to the $86 deal.

I agree 100% with sound quality of XM being poor ... however in my '14 550xi with the B&O system ... it is much better than any previous car that I had XM in ... however it is still nowhere near lossless quality
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
jellyfish
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive

Satellite is in serious ( no pun intended) trouble with iTunes radio, Spotify, pandora, etc. out there over Bluetooth. Besides Howard Stern ( if you are into him) I see no compelling reason to go with Sirius other than convenience. 20 bucks for 5 months is what I'm getting as an offer but that is for an old receiver I had like 10 years ago. I am going to demand the same rate once my trial ends or I cancel. I rarely listen to satellite anyway with all the other options. I kind of feel bad fir them. Technology changed to a degree they couldn't have anticipated. Our gain I suppose as a consumer.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #4
mikey0120
Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: F10 535Xi M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
Satellite is in serious ( no pun intended) trouble with iTunes radio, Spotify, pandora, etc. out there over Bluetooth. Besides Howard Stern ( if you are into him) I see no compelling reason to go with Sirius other than convenience. 20 bucks for 5 months is what I'm getting as an offer but that is for an old receiver I had like 10 years ago. I am going to demand the same rate once my trial ends or I cancel. I rarely listen to satellite anyway with all the other options. I kind of feel bad fir them. Technology changed to a degree they couldn't have anticipated. Our gain I suppose as a consumer.
Competition is good and the vehicle manufacturers love SXM. There has been plenty of talk in the past of Satellite Radio going out of business since 2001, but here they are, stronger than ever. Additionally, they will have other revenue streams coming up in the near future based on telematics. OEM will be huge for them. Oh yeah, don't forget the used car market with the factory tuners built in. SXM added 1.5 million subs just from that channel alone in 2013, or at least that is what was reported.
Retired: 2001 E46 330i
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baccus@AMS View Post
We can activate Sirius satellite for much cheaper than dealer cost..
How so?
Appreciate 0