2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding base HU output vs MS-8

12-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #1
Aspen
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 520d msport

base HU output vs MS-8

Hi All,

I completed my upgrade from the UK 6 speaker setup back in march. But i cant handle the hiss at low levels so i'm changing a few things round:

ive taken the amp and alpine DSP out and for now am running the focal vrs's and standard 6.5" underseat subs off the front channels and the vibe slick 40's off the rear channels.

Actually it sounds pretty good, but the focals start popping at 3/4 volume.

my intention was to do away with 2 units and stick an MS-8 in to DSP and power everything. But having been reading the specs of the standard head unit it states 25W per channel, 4 channels. obviously this means 25W is powering the focals and the underseat on the front but the MS-8 only states 18W per channel.

my question is as follows, will be under powering the focals off an MS-8, or as I will be powering the underseats individually off separate MS-8 channels to the focals will it actually make things better?

Or am i going to make things worse and need an amp after the MS-8, if this is the case. I really can't be bothered.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

You will need an amp after MS-8. MS-8 does not have enough power.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Just try the MS-8 as is, you may be surprised with the volume range of its internal amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspen View Post
Hi All,

I completed my upgrade from the UK 6 speaker setup back in march. But i cant handle the hiss at low levels so i'm changing a few things round:

ive taken the amp and alpine DSP out and for now am running the focal vrs's and standard 6.5" underseat subs off the front channels and the vibe slick 40's off the rear channels.

Actually it sounds pretty good, but the focals start popping at 3/4 volume.

my intention was to do away with 2 units and stick an MS-8 in to DSP and power everything. But having been reading the specs of the standard head unit it states 25W per channel, 4 channels. obviously this means 25W is powering the focals and the underseat on the front but the MS-8 only states 18W per channel.

my question is as follows, will be under powering the focals off an MS-8, or as I will be powering the underseats individually off separate MS-8 channels to the focals will it actually make things better?

Or am i going to make things worse and need an amp after the MS-8, if this is the case. I really can't be bothered.
Appreciate 0