2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media My Experience with SonicMS

08-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
Andy H.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i M Sport

My Experience with SonicMS

I purchased a 3D front lip spoiler for my 2012 535i earlier this year from, Sonic MS. They advertise in the "commercial market place" section of this forum.

https://www.sonicms.net

I paid $1,000 up front and waited over 1 month to receive it. During the wait I called on several occasions to determine the status, as they did not tell me up front that it was going to take this long. Each time I called the representative at Sonic MS he explained he would check on the status and return my call. He never did.

I ultimately received the part. Recently, I had the part painted by a local paint and body shop. I had them install the front spoiler too.
After the installation, the body shop called me to explain that the 3D front lip spoiler did not fit correctly against the front bumper. Instead, they said that large gaps existed between the spoiler and the front bumper. See attached pictures.

So, I called Sonic MS and spoke to Jason and explained my situation. Further, I asked why they didn’t quality assure the fitment of their product before shipping it to the customer. His response was, to my astonishment, as follows: “Hey man, I have over $20,000 worth of body parts added to my car. Sometimes they don’t fit right. We didn’t quality assure it because we didn’t have it in stock when you ordered it and it was shipped directly to you from Japan. Take some pictures and send to our email and we’ll get back to you”.

I couldn’t believe this response to a customer who spent $1,000 up front before receiving the part over 1 month later. You would think they could manage a far greater level of customer service.

So I emailed Darwin at Sonic MS. His name is what appeared on my credit card statement. I explained the above and offered two choices:

1. Refund my money immediately and send me a postage paid return label and I would return the spoiler once I received the label.

2. Immediately ship out a replacement with the tracking number to include a return shipping label. Upon receipt of the label I would immediately return the front lip spoiler.

I explained that failure to do either and I would dispute this with my credit card company and write a detailed outline of my experience and post it on www.bimmerpost.com and www.bimmerfest.com to prevent others from being taken advantage of in the future.

Several days later, as I had not heard from Darwin at Sonic MS, I called to determine if they received my email and what their decision was going to be.

Darwin passes the buck and gets a representative to email from the manufacturer in Japan. This nut job tells me that I am installing the part incorrectly! He wants me to take the front lip spoiler and my car back to the body shop and, via phone, guide the BMW certified technicians on how to install the front lip spoiler!

I explained to this guy from Japan that I installed it myself and it wasn’t fitting how I was told it would otherwise fit by the rep at Sonic MS when I made the initial transaction for purchase. So this arrogant representative from Japan tells me that the body shop screwed up the part because, “they never have fitment issues and their parts are perfect”!

See otherwise:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675492

So, I get back with Darwin at Sonic MS and ask how he is going to proceed from here. He gave me the option to ship the part back to him. He asked me to ship it back to him and insure it. He said that if I did this that he would send me a new one, painted to match my car, as a result. He said that he would send me the shippers tracking number as soon as he got it in the mail.

I spent $407 to insure and ship it back to Sonic MS. Darwin received this over two weeks ago. Now I am out over $1,400 on this part and have nothing to show for it! Over the past two weeks I’ve called 8 separate times to determine the status of the new part and acquire a tracking number. I’ve spoken to Darwin once and his wonderful customer contact representatives every other time. Each time, they have all promised to determine the status and call me back, the same day, to answer my question. Every single time they have never called me back.

I have been polite, patient and given them the benefit of the doubt. I am done.

In my line of business you take care of your customer. You also say what you are going to do and then you DO what you say are going to do.

It’s your choice. Would you want to do business with Sonic MS?
Attached Images

Last edited by Andy H.; 08-20-2013 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
DLerner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535, X164 GL550

Along with your post here, I'd call your credit card and dispute the charge. You've tried to handle this and they aren't responding appropriately. I think you are 100% justified. Too many people and companies do business this way and it's not cool. Hit 'em where it hurts and leverage the power of your credit card.

Plus, if you are going to sell these mods and kits for a living, you've got to try them out for fit and quality. To simply take the word of a supplier that the fit and finish are top notch is unacceptable to me. These are expensive parts to buy, ship, paint and finish. From their website "Unlike some of our competitors, we carefully select products that we want to sell to our clientele. Virtually all of the products we offer has been rigorously tested on our own project cars to ensure fit, finish and quality."
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
DocOct
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 - F15 X5

Andy, I'm always disappointed to hear stories like the one you posted. I hope these guys make things right. I'd start the dispute process right away and maybe send one of the mods a message if they advertise on this site. Good luck!

Last edited by DocOct; 08-20-2013 at 10:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
mikey0120
Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: F10 535Xi M-Sport

FYI.

My 3D Spoiler has a small gap as well. I know of another forum member that has a gap on as well. I figure that the mold they are using is no longer a "good mold" after using it to produce hundreds of these lips. Does it annoy me? Yup.

As for walking a technician on how to properly install the lip. Any reputable body shop can handle this job with ease. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. My 2 cents.
Retired: 2001 E46 330i
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

The proper fitment ...

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

You are not alone of having fitment issue with 3D Design front spoiler

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675492
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Yet another reason I'm always hesitant to do business with vendors online. I know that most are probably very reputable and will do business the right way, but stories like these always put a lot of doubt in my mind. Sorry to hear of your troubles with sonic, hopefully they will do the right thing.
      08-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #8
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
that's a rough story. thanks for passing alone the info. people need to know when this sort of thing happens.
      08-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
Dhu
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 550

Thanks for sharing....I had just called them for quote (which they never returned the call). May have to rethink whether to go with these guys....but I have the benefit of being local and hence can ask them to install for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Hope this gets resolved in your favor Andy.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
Grumpy514
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3X

Garage List
Surprising they haven't spoken up yet on here?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy514 View Post
Surprising they haven't spoken up yet on here?
I'm not.

And damn bro! Your Avatar must be from Houston. I've seen that same ugly mug at the Harris County DMV.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #13
Andy H.
Lieutenant
Rep

Rcvd a message of apology and explanation that they have been busy. Heard this excuse before. Darwin said he expects to have the part ready for shipping on Friday.

Given their consistent track record of failure to follow through I'm not holding my breath. I'm sure they will not let me know the status either way by Friday. I expect I'll be calling them on Friday to determine the status.
      08-21-2013, 02:52 AM   #14
shehatezme
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Just got my suspension and wheels installed at SonicMs today. Nothing but good words I have to say about the service I received today. Horrible you have to deal with this but Darwin should take care of you. Unfortunately, buying parts from a non local shop always produce headaches like these. You can't just drive there to bitch.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #15
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

Quote:
Originally Posted by shehatezme
Just got my suspension and wheels installed at SonicMs today. Nothing but good words I have to say about the service I received today. Horrible you have to deal with this but Darwin should take care of you. Unfortunately, buying parts from a non local shop always produce headaches like these. You can't just drive there to bitch.
It's comments like these that really bother me. Why should he have to "bitch" to the shop, why does it matter that he's not local? The people at sonic should give him the same level of service & professionalism no matter where he is, he's a paying customer. A customer that paid up front. I respectfully disagree with your comments.
      08-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #16
Andy H.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
It's comments like these that really bother me. Why should he have to "bitch" to the shop, why does it matter that he's not local? The people at sonic should give him the same level of service & professionalism no matter where he is, he's a paying customer. A customer that paid up front. I respectfully disagree with your comments.
Agreed. There is zero difference between a paying in-person customer versus an internet customer.
      08-26-2013, 04:18 AM   #17
dblock2151
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 550i Msport DG

Sorry to hear about your situation! I've dealt with Darwin a few dozen times and I've never had any issues, it does sometimes take a while to get a response, but never more than 3-4 days.

I purchased my Meisterschaft Exhaust and 90% of my parts on my old c-class show car from Sonic and Darwin. I don't live near by, I'm on the opposite side of the country in Connecticut.

Also, as Darwin's rep stated, the item usually gets shipped directly from the manufacturer, or from the manufacturer's warehouse in the US. SonicMS is pretty much a middle man in the situation, so if things are backordered or custom ordered, it can take a while. Took me 7 months to get my DPE wheels, and 2 months to get my exhaust, but they always notified me to let me know.

Like I mentioned earlier, Darwin has always taken care of me, and we have never met personally. I trust his word and honestly believe he will do the right thing and take care of you.

Also, I have the 3D lip and mine doesn't fit well either, I'm going to mold the area where the gaps are because like you, it annoys me to no end.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #18
///M.Tonee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

wow just when i finally decided to place an order for some RSV forged wheels, i see this...thanks for the heads up and hope everything works out for you.
      08-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #19
KRUZNM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

hope this issue gets resolved for you! I know from previous experience that authentic parts dont always fit perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 03:46 AM   #20
jykishan
vroom vroom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

wow I bought my forgestars from cal@sonic about a year ago and I have nothing but good things to say about the transaction. I too am no where near cali but I got my rims in about a week mounted with tires and tpms. If I were you I'd say keep the lip and do a chargeback. Also maybe you aren't getting the proper traction because this is posted in the photo section?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #21
h4nh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [10.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
I bought a 3000$ akrapovic exhaust system from them 2 years ago for my m3 with no issues. They even sent some heat wraps for free after since they didn't have it in stock.

3D design should fit good. That one must have been a defect. That sucks they didn't take care of you on time!
      09-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #22
HighConcept
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F-Ten ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRUZN335 View Post
hope this issue gets resolved for you! I know from previous experience that authentic parts dont always fit perfectly.
Very true.
Appreciate 0