2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding ISTA cant work on BMW if you have a retrofitted cluster?

07-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
jonobro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f10 535i

ISTA cant work on BMW if you have a retrofitted cluster?

is that true? I can to run a diagnostics on my car but I have a retrofitted cluster and heard its not possible to if so :/
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Obsolete information.

ISTA/D has always had no issue with it, ISTA/P would hang due to the incorrect equipment. BMW finally added an option to force ISTA/P to ignore the issue and just program everything else.

This does assume you have up to date ISTA and not some old version.

Last edited by Stück; 07-08-2018 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 08:38 PM   #3
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Any chance you know which version? I have ISTA+ and ISTA/P relatively new, and I couldn't get past the "replace module" error as ISTA/P did not ignore it. I've love to know the version # since this feature got enabled.

I have a cluster and a RDC module that I need programmed to the car
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 06:46 AM   #4
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
I think I'm in the same boat if anyone can help me.

I've got ISTA+ 4.25 installed with all data but after I get the plan for programming, the execute program box is not available. I get no errors or anything, and installed it exactly how it's shown on the you tube video. I do get the "make sure maintain power" dialogue box, but I have my battery maintainer supplying 13.7v @70A+.

I do have a retrofitted 6WB. Not sure why it's not letting me upgrade my ECUs. It's telling me there are 44 modules that require upgrading when ever I run the program and istep is from 2017. I'd post pictures but I'm currently away from home. Any help?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 10:24 AM   #5
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post

I've got ISTA+ 4.25 installed with all data but after I get the plan for programming, the execute program box is not available. I get no errors or anything, and installed it exactly how it's shown on the you tube video. I do get the "make sure maintain power" dialogue box, but I have my battery maintainer supplying 13.7v @70A+.

I do have a retrofitted 6WB. Not sure why it's not letting me upgrade my ECUs. It's telling me there are 44 modules that require upgrading when ever I run the program and istep is from 2017. I'd post pictures but I'm currently away from home. Any help?
You have a battery maintainer going at 70amps? That's a hell of a maintainer. IIRC for ista to be happy you need 14+ volts.

You have an ICOM device right?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 01:43 PM   #6
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
Quote:

You have a battery maintainer going at 70amps? That's a hell of a maintainer. IIRC for ista to be happy you need 14+ volts.

You have an ICOM device right?
Yes. The battery maintainer was not cheap but it does have plenty of options so it's not bad investment. I did not think you needed an icom device for this as I have found on several forums people claiming you need it while others saying that you do not. I have an ENET cable.

Guess I need to get me an icom then, and now I know who doesn't know what they are talking about 😒

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 10:49 PM   #7
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

Quote:
Yes. The battery maintainer was not cheap but it does have plenty of options so it's not bad investment. I did not think you needed an icom device for this as I have found on several forums people claiming you need it while others saying that you do not. I have an ENET cable.

Guess I need to get me an icom then, and now I know who doesn't know what they are talking about 😒

Thank you
ICOM = programming with ISTA

ENET = programming with ESYS
Appreciate 1
XxBBVTMxX288.00